Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New Cross-over card for THX monitor (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New Cross-over card for THX monitor
Bill Purdy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2001 04:23 PM      Profile for Bill Purdy   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Purdy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For many years people who wanted to quit their THX certification had the problem that THX wanted their leased cross-over cards returned. While we were still manufacturing the Model 3417 monitors for THX, we didn't feel it would be proper to make a version of the card. Now, however, it has been well over a year since we stopped making the 3417 and in addition, many more theatres are anxious to save the license fees. Therefore, we now have available a direct plug replacement for THX's cross-over card having the same cross-over point, the same delay characteristics, the same gain and so on. Actually, some of us think it is a better design than the original. These cards are available now through normal distribution channels at a List Price of $177.00.

We will have these (and other neat stuff) to show you at ShoWest at our booth 815/817. Please drop by!!

Just for fun, a trivia question for the day:
What is the significance of "3417", the Model number of the Monitor?

------------------
Bill Purdy
Component Engineering

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-01-2001 04:28 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't 3417 have some significance to "THX-1138"? I haven't seen the whole thing, but I'm pretty sure that there's something there...

Isn't there also a license plate in "American Graffiti" that says "THX-1138"?

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-01-2001 05:26 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The plate on the car in 'Graffiti' was THX-138, but the connection was the same, obviously.

-AS

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-02-2001 09:15 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe THX has a patent on the crossover design It is US4569076 it includes the use of a delay line and the filterslope and cd horn correction

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-02-2001 09:22 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you can patent delay settings and crossover points. Just as long as they aren't using any THX proprietary technology I think they'll be OK.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-02-2001 11:57 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wan't that the "name" of THX-1138's friend that helped him escape from the city?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-03-2001 10:40 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I definately side with Joe on this. There is no way you can patent a cross over point,curve, or delay. You can only patent how it is done. The more power to you Bill. The THX thing is really turning into a farce anyway. Try to get them to do just a couple of screens in a plex anymore. Good luck! They seem to want all or none at all.
Mark @ GTS

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2001 10:58 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They sound just as good. Direct plugin replacement for the original (and it uses newer technology). The only thing I have noticed is that you have reset your house SPL's.

I like these cards. They are excellent and at a very good price, too!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-03-2001 01:59 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a while but I think the patent on the card has to do with how Thom Holman accomplished the crossover (24dB/Octave) that "just happened" to introduce the requisite amount of LF delay to the system to work with the JBL 4675B (and later). So the patent (and I haven't looked at it) probably deals not with the crossover point but the circuit that accomplishes both objectives at the same time.

It is one of the reasons why the speaker must fit the mold...ie the approved speakers of the era all had the basic JBL 4675 look and size.

Now with DSP technology, it is easier to make the crossover be optimized for different speaker designs.

Good Luck with the new crossover board. I'm sure it works just fine.

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-03-2001 02:29 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gord:

I just took a quickie web look at the patent you listed. It appears to be a methodology patent for the whole THX system rather than the card specifically though the gyrator circuit Mr. Holman used to achieve the 1.9msec delay is mentioned. I didn't see anything the prevents anyone from making a crossover card that does what is in the patent. Since there were crossovers that did what his did before and after the 3417 came out. About the only thing that would be a no-no would be simply building the same card/circuit. What are the life spans of Patents nowadays? 17 years? Didn't THX happen around 1983 with Jedi? If so it may be moot anyway.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-03-2001 02:34 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not knocking the product as it is a timely one and as always I am sure it is up to the high level of standards of other CE products.
I was just asking the question as the patent did embody the works of other which I did find odd
Most patents are 25 years but are renewable in some cases

Bill Purdy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2001 04:55 PM      Profile for Bill Purdy   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Purdy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have not in any way infringed on their patent. As indicated above, the patent didn't even include the cross-over card. Holman himself suggested the we just use his circuit and merely do a new board layout to get around any copyright. We, however, decided to do a new circuit with newer lower noise op-amps and tighter slopes at cross-over.

Randy is essentially correct about "3417". I don't remember, but one of the people at LucasFilm (no longer there) was the one who suggested the number as being 1138's girlfriend. Typical George Lucas.

See y'all at ShoWest---booth 815/817.

------------------
Bill Purdy
Component Engineering

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-04-2001 12:38 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess about the number was a three way toss-up. I was thinking either the girlfriend the guy who helped him escape or Donald Pleasance's character. I just picked one.

Did you ever notice in just about all of Lucas's movies any cops or cop-like authority figures all have distorted voices?

Cops in THX... Storm Troopers in Star Wars... Darth Vader... Storm Trooper Droids in SW:Ep1...

Is this a Freudian thing going on here?

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 09-08-2008 12:49 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 2745 days since the last post.

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 09-08-2008 12:49 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just 'fell' on this topic while looking for something else ... I thought THX wanted the entire monitor returned, not just the x-over cards. Is that true? If so, I know a place that kinda got screwed...!

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: