Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Bristol wrench

Author Topic: Bristol wrench
Tim Sherman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2001 02:57 PM      Profile for Tim Sherman   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Sherman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of you who have older simplex's probably know what a bristol wrench is. i was just wondering where i could find a couple of these, the price and also what size i need for the collers to change the intermittant spocket. I called about 25 hardware stores today and not one of them had any clue what the tool was. so i am assuming this is a special tool for these machines or is just a very old type of fastener and is now obsolete. So if anyone has any info i would apprieciate it, i need to change out a couple of sprockets.

Tim Sherman
Aut-O-Rama Twin Drive-in
North Ridgeville OH

------------------
"Come on out to the drive-in and spend a night out with the stars"
ME!!

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2001 03:34 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any good electronic parts supplier (who sells tools, also) who carries Xcelite Tools should have them.

Xcelite has a complete set (they are also known as "spline wrenches") in a small case under part number 99PS-60. There are 9 sizes plus a handle and an extension unit. Yes, the size you need is in that set. You can order just individual sizes from the set. The size you need is the 4-flute # 99-63.

I bought my set in 1984 and it was $25 then, so I would imagine the price has gone up.

Bell & Howell used Bristol set screws exculsively in their 16mm projectors and that's why I bought my set.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-01-2001 09:37 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought my last set at Sears. There still should be no problem finding them.

John T. Mellor
Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2001 12:31 PM      Profile for John T. Mellor   Email John T. Mellor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim ,
After you get the Bristol set screws out you can use allen socket set screws , thats what is in use now.
When are you opening this season
Regards ,
John

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-04-2001 05:53 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allen screws will work, but the hex heads are so small and allen wrenches are so cheap that the flats on the wrench and set screws will round out very easily. Then you DO have a problem.

Tim Sherman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2001 09:05 PM      Profile for Tim Sherman   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Sherman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John im not really sure yet as to when we are opening for the season, sometime in april is all i know. oh yeah i also took a look at the shutters on the simplexes and found out that i should be able to close them up alittle bit and get alittle more light out. I think that i like that idea of changeing them to allen set screws too.

------------------
"Come on out to the drive-in and spend a night out with the stars"
ME!!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-05-2001 12:24 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you use Allen Set Screws, please be sure to use high grade. Some of the ones (especially the small ones like you would find in the outboard collar of the older Simplex Intermittant) you get at your local hardware store may be made of soft iron, and will definately strip the flats when you tighten them. Generally, I found that the hex allen screw cannot be tightened as securely as the Bristol without stripping the head and/or wrench.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 03-05-2001 05:17 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't even consider replacing spline screws with hex socket screws. I've been doing office machine service for 27 years. IBM used splines exclusively in all their mechanical typewriters and we found that on a really stubborn screw you can wind a spline wrench at least three turns before the wrench breaks and the screw head will rarely strip out. Try that on a hex screw. Surging the wind up really works well in breaking over tightened screws loose.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-05-2001 07:43 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Bill. Now the people know why I like Bristol screws instead of the hex heads.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: