Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Seminars at Showest

Author Topic: Seminars at Showest
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-27-2001 10:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a thought today about the fact that there is allot of good exchange of knowledge and ideas here on Film-Tech. It would be great if some of us Film-Tech techies could get together at Showest next year and hold how-to seminars on things like rebuilding a Century head, Simplex head, rebuilding Intermittents, aligning Digital readers correctly, etc.
Some of the unions used to teach this stuff but I doubt that they do now to any extent. I know for a fact that several unions never taught any of this stuff and that there is not a way to learn about it except by doing it yourself the first time around.
What do you other techs out there think about doing this? Perhaps Showest or some other entity would sponsor for this too.
Mark @ GTS

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 02-27-2001 11:29 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A neat idea if we could make it fly logistically. I'd volunteer for a presenter's slot, but I'm afraid my areas of expertise nowadays are either not deep enough or obsolete.

Regarding union-provided training, it's a great thing if a local can afford to provide it. I was an instructor in IATSE Local 720's (Las Vegas, NV) program off-and-on from 1983 to 1992. The training program was jointly operated by a Trust set up between the Nevada Resort Association (representing the hotels) and Local 720. I gave the first spotlight classes in 1983 (at that time we had one-each Strong Trouper, and Super Trouper (both long and short throw)--carbon arcs all (though the short-throw was a new one with the clock motor instead of the old DC). Later I taught basic video engineering, video projection (using CRT-based Barco and Sony graphics-grade machines), and basic computer-sourced projection (PowerPoint s/w and signal transcoding h/w). We offered multi-35mm slide projector training, but alas we never did offer 35mm or 70mm motion picture training--by the time the Trust really got going, Syufy/Century Theatres had already bought all of the screens in town and put us out of our movie theatre jobs.

The Trust bought or rented all of the equipment, paid the instructors (head rate+10%!), and provided the classes at no additional cost to the members (a portion of the member's local dues checkoff paid for the union's half). For those of you going to ShoWest and wanting a look, drop in at 720's building over on Valley View (call ahead though--I think Dale Hermann is still running the program for the union side). The high-rigging training area and shop is in the back, and the training booth and classrooms are upstairs next to the Stage Employees Credit Union. Heck, maybe Dale'd be willing to help Film-Tech out with a training presentation at ShoWest. I'm not sure how many of 720's members really appreciated how lucky they were to have access to such a training program and facilities!

Mark Mayfield
Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2001 11:01 AM      Profile for Mark Mayfield   Email Mark Mayfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a good idea. If you are willing to work with ITEA (International Theatre Equipment Association) I will raise the issue. I am currently on the board of directors, and it is a primary mission of ours to provide educational seminars. Despite how much we manufacturers think WE know, it's the actual users like you guys that learn the ins-and-outs.
Thanks.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-01-2001 11:46 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Entertainment Equipment Corp has been hosting seminars for many years. We are presently setting up "Cinema Training Central" a more indepth school type enviroment.
Anyone wishing information email us at entequip@aol.com. THe next seminar will be in may

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: