Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 16mm problem

Author Topic: 16mm problem
Frank Rapisardi
Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2001 02:54 PM      Profile for Frank Rapisardi   Email Frank Rapisardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought a used Eiki 16mm slot load projector.For the life of me I can run it.Model# SL-OL I can bring the film to the take up reel.But the picture jumps around like mad!There are 3 rollers in the back of the machine before the take up reel,which one does the film pass over before I put it on the take up reel? The machine looks almost new. It is supposed to have around only 20 hours of use on it. I bought from Cin-Tronics.Can anyone help?

------------------

Tom Sauter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2001 03:22 PM      Profile for Tom Sauter   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Sauter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the serial number? Eiki revamped the SL series at SN 30001.

The film should go over the topmost roller. Check that the gate is closing correctly and that the loopsetter fulcrum isn't stuck.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-27-2001 09:13 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that "slot loaders" don't need this but on your basic "auto-shredder" you need to roll the take-up reel about a half turn to tension the film and trip the gate release or else the thing won't run right.

Again, I know that slot loaders don't need this but what I'm getting at is maybe you ought to check to see that the gate and "loop setters" are all working properly when you close 'er up. Maybe the film isn't "settling" properly as you snap it shut?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-27-2001 09:40 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean by "jumps around"? Is it a vertical bounce, a horizontal movement, or both?

Some of the Eiki slot-load machines have an automatic "loop restore" function that's designed to maintain the lower loop if a bad splice jumps in the gate. This might be a problem. Also check the gate itself and make sure that it's closing properly and is clean. If there's a gate tension adjustment on your Eiki, check that as well.

Most of the tabletop classroom Eikis don't handle damaged/warped film as well as some other machines, so that might be something to check...if you have some new film, try running that. My personal preference is for the Elmo 16CL for a portable machine, as it seems to handle damaged film better. I also like the manual-load B&H machines, but not the auto-shred models, although the Elmos have better sound quality.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-27-2001 09:50 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, a loop restorer? I thought those were perf rippers!

Derek Maxwell
Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2001 12:16 AM      Profile for Derek Maxwell   Author's Homepage   Email Derek Maxwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have the function knob in the upright position, all you do is pull the film through the slot and to the take-up reel. Then you slowly turn the knob clockwise and it threads itself. If it isn't, there may be something broken. That wouldn't surprise me if it was shipped. Good luck.

------------------
http://www.drive-infilm.com

Edwin Graf Diemer
Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2001 05:05 PM      Profile for Edwin Graf Diemer   Email Edwin Graf Diemer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since we're on the subject of 16mm Eiki Slot Loaders-I found one at a rummage sale in beautiful condition with the xenon bulb option. Everything is great except after running for about ten minutes, the bulb will shut off, and automatically come on again once it (or something else) cools down. If anybody could help with this, it would be great!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: