Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » I.A.T.S.E.?

Author Topic: I.A.T.S.E.?
Heyward Garner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2001 01:49 AM      Profile for Heyward Garner   Email Heyward Garner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could someone please explain this to me. I have been working as a projectionist for near three years now... I was aware that there was a Union for projectionists, but never heard too much more about it. What's the purpose? (Besides that all of you get paid more than I do... =) ) What's this talk about having to be licenced to run a projector in NYC? Why? I am down south in North Carolina, and until now I have never really put much thought into any of this. I work for the pay that I do, because I love what I do. But I am still interested in learning more... =) Thanks in advance for your help and comments, in case I am not back on here in a day or two... =)

Tom Sauter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2001 02:21 PM      Profile for Tom Sauter   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Sauter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unions can provide for collective bargaining, training, grievance processes, benefits. Its a way for employees to strengthen their voices in the companies that they work for. Union projectionists can enjoy an open dialogue with their theatre to improve working conditions, rate of pay, seniority, parking facilities, benefits, retirement, etc. The company enjoys happy workers, quality work, and skilled employees. It depends on who you work for... if its a great company you may not feel the need to unionize. My personal experiences as a union employee (under both IATSE and other contracts) have been very positive. For more info check out these websites: http://www.iatse.lm.com http://www.aflcio.org/front/joinunions.htm

As for licensed projectionists in NYC, it could be a holdover from the days of nitrate and carbon-arc lamphouses, when public safety and operator safety were of major concern. Then again, they'll license anything in New York!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: