Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home

This topic has been transferred to this forum: Ground Level.    
next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Open door policy

Author Topic: Open door policy
Bob Minge
Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2001 09:38 PM      Profile for Bob Minge   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Minge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone working in a theater that is situated in a mall have this problem and how to fix it. In our mall, I am next to the big doors that they bring in cars, boats etc, when they have a hallway show. I have told the mall that they must wait until my last show has started (fri nite 9PM shows when bringing in - Sun nite 5PM shows when leaving) before opening the doors and letting them out. Tonight the herd started at 5PM and I had shows starting at 5:00, 5:20 (2) and 5:25. Not only did my customers have to wait and/or weave around the boats, docks, cars etc, but the cold air (Minnesota) whooshed thru my concession area and into the first 2 theaters, since I could not close my doors. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

------------------
Bob Minge
Manager/Projectionist
Westridge Cinema 5
Fergus Falls, MN
http://geocities.com/lakesandriverscinema/westridge_cinema_5.html

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-25-2001 10:29 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Bob. Maybe another polite "discussion" with the mall manager might do some good. Your orginal discussion apparently fell through the cracks.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2001 11:21 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They do that here in Olympia at the Capital Mall, but to add insult to injury, they put three canned pop vending machines right next to the snack bar!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-26-2001 12:57 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't they have some kind of exclusivity clause in the mall lease? If there is one, then putting vending machines near the snack bar would "technically" be a violation, wouldn't it?

As far as them "loading out" a show diring one of the rushes, if it were me, I might send the mall management a letter that politely stated the facts and remind them that IF a customer was to be injured during one of these times, the mall would be liable.

I dunno'... These kind of things are why we have lawyers.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2001 07:49 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys must be dealing with TERRIBLE Mall management. I run Malls, and neither I nor anyone else I know in the business would risk bringing exhibits through the "promotion" doors (that's what they're called) during Mall hours. Forget the inconvenience to the theater, it would be too much of a liability problem. Second, the deals I've cut with theater companies ALWAYS contain clauses dictating what types of tenants and amenities can be placed within so many feet of the theater entrance. Shoot me back the name and address of the Mall(s) in question, and I will look it up to see who owns/manaages it and who you should yell at.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-26-2001 08:18 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Moving to Ground Level forum.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: