Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » You forgot the curtain...!

Author Topic: You forgot the curtain...!
Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2001 06:18 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On third month now, i'm running the latest of the danish "dogme"-films, called "Italian for beginners", -and as the dogme-concept has ruled, of course running Academy 1,37:1

Not ONE show done yet without patrons coming out to telle me, that the curtains are not proberly drawn out. -Funny the first night, but not any more...

Wish, they would stop making films this way.
Academy is ok with me, if i'm running "Singin' in the Rain" or "Third Man" - but not on new titles, drawing audiences, not used to the narrow screen - and worse: even though dogme should be filmed on 35mm material only, it often looks as video, because of the rule saying that no artificial lights should be used - and no dubbing either - only original on-site sound.
Dogme is (when not looking on box-office) CRAP, and should have been a single-stand joke only !

Per

P.S.: Upon this films premiere, the distributor (who did not distribute the first 3 dogme titles) called the 60 first-run cinemas to ask, if everyone could run 1,37:1.
Just 6 theatres answered yes. The rest had been showing the first 3 films in 1,66 or even 1,85, cutting 20-25 % off the picture.
Only few custumers complains, because they have read in the newspapers, that dogme films are special. -Well, -it must be right then, -eh...?

Who are the bandits in this game:
The cinemas, not respecting the work of the director/cinematographer, -or the producers, who keeps on doing films in a system, that no longer lives anywhere in their local area, for witch the films are ment in the first place ? -And what about the rest of the world ? -The first 3 films were sold to some few foreign markets, and the new one, thanks to Silver Bear at Berlin Festival last week, sells better than warm bread sunday morning all over the world. -But how many can run this almost historic format ? -How many audiences will be cheated ?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-24-2001 06:33 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to suffer through one of those films once. I believe it was called "Celebration". It was about a family reunion of rich, snobby people.

At the end of the movie it was revealed that the father was committing incest with his daughters and was "excommunicated" from the family.

Not only was the movie's plot sickening but I agree with you that the whole damn thing was one big long piece of S***!

I think that the "Dogme" idea has been taken too far. The idea of getting back to the basics of film making and not depending on special effects is a good one but they have taken it beyond that and have become almost a faction of "minimalists".

What I might suggest is what they did at my theatre. They had the local movie reviewer do a piece on the movie and preface the article with a statement that this is a "Dogme" film and what that stands for. We also passed out handouts for every movie, like a Playbill. On this movie there was a statement about the Dogme concept. Most people who watched the movie were actually INTERESTED to find out more about the genere'.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2001 06:38 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy:

I'm afraid, Denmark has taken the Hollywood idea of "Cheaper is better" one step further

As long as people keeps on paying the price to watch yet another of these films, -why not make a couple more... It's horrible !

/ p.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2001 06:49 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Celebration" was most celebrated locally - amongst other reasons for uniting almost every big danish actor - also for the smallest parts. -Did You have an extra look at Ulrich Thomsen, playing the naughty son, reveilling the fathers secret at the big party ? -He did get something in return for this part: Next time on screen was as second-baddest guy in The World is not Enough.
And exactly on "Celebration" the dogme idea maybe could be (if ever) accepted. What You saw here, looked just as everyones home-video from the big familiy-party...(?)

/ p.

P.S. again: Flyers are being made here too, -hoping to explain everyone, that this is not a local cinema mishap...

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-24-2001 06:50 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were a couple of French and Belgian movies that I showed that weren't too awful. I might have actually LIKED them if I spoke the language.

These films were pretty minimalistic by today's standards in Hollywood. They often didn't re-dub the soundtrack or use any more than the minimum of artificial lighting. They were actually very watchable and I learned a little bit about the culture of the country in which the films were made while I was at it.

This whole thing about, "We pledge never to use artificial lighting and only use handheld cameras..." is for the BIRDS!

What they forget is that there is a certain "overhead" in film where you need to use lights or tripods just to get an acceptible picture. Do you ever watch the TV show called "NYPD Blue"? They use artificial lights and steady-cam mounts and they STILL achieve that "natural" look as if the viewer might be standing in the room with the actors.

No, Dogme isn't about "Cheaper is Better", nor is it about "Back to Basics". It's about small-minded people who don't know their craft who are trying to disguise their shortcommings as film makers so that it appears to be something "revolutionalry".

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2001 07:02 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well - Shit happens

I would prefer to run a raw of old 70mm instead, - but for my last showing of "out of Africa", last summer, i sold 5 tickets.
Tonite, for the dogme-thing (on 3rd month, as mentioned) i sold 55...

Fuel oil for warming up the house cost about a dollar per litre - a cinema ticket 5 bucks. At vinter, i use 1500 litres a month and sell (with a little bit of luck) about 2500 tickets. -Hope i make myself clear...
I feel a bit like a prostitute, when running dogme - but i keep warm...

/ p.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-24-2001 07:11 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I also get requests for wierd aspect ratios from time to time especially with the HD at 1.75:1

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-24-2001 10:16 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the college theatre I used to be kinda' proud of the fact that it was the only theatre in the area that could run more than two formats.

We had FLAT, SCOPE and ACADEMY/RA lenses and plates. The masking was fully adjustable on all four sides of the picture so you could adjust it for "halvsies" between formats when you run into a 1.75 ratio print. (Although you have to aslo go "halvsies" on the framing as well.) Basically I told people that as long as you're willing to let me tinker a little bit I could run just about anything that has a sound track. If the boss could be talked into buying (or renting) another lens and letting me cut a new aperture I could run literally anything 24 FPS. The only question was how to slow the projector down to run silent films. (Put on another drive pulley for the motor belt, right?)

Nowadays it's hard enough to get people to understand FLAT and SCOPE, let alone getting them to understand any of the "in between" ratios.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2001 10:29 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the Toronto Film Festival we get, of course, many requests for films to be run in the 1:37 format. In one of the longer auditoriums (side masking only) the picture does of course, look like a postage stamp. (135 mm Isco-Optic Ultra-Star HD lens.) Many of the prints are just 16mm "blow-ups" and look grainy as hell, but some of the stuff shot originally in 35 look pretty good.

A few years back running "The Wonderful, Horrible Life Of Lenny Riefenshthall" (sorry about the spelling), the images looked like 70mm quality.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-24-2001 10:39 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I've really disliked all of the "Dogme" films...I never could understand why all the critics were raving about "The Celebration." I just found it boring and annoying...

The quality of 16mm blowups seems to vary so much...I've seen some (16mm neg->35mm print, usually) that I would have sworn were shot in 35, and I've seen some that are just horrible. It must depend a lot on the lab and quality of the original photography. The B&W reel of "Living in Oblivion" was an example of a really bad blowup; the festival print of "Troublesome Creek" was mindblowingly good...

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2001 01:13 PM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran the first American Dogme film at the Göteborg Film Festival this year. It was called "Reunion", and it was # 17 according to the Dogme certificate that was the first thing to appear on screen.

I don't like Dogme films, but that's beside the point here. What isn't is that this film was shot and screened in 1.85. Yup, not 1.37, but 1.85. The filmmakers told me that they'd been a bit worried about the aspect ratio as they shot in 1.85 but realised that once there was a certificate for the film, the Dogme people (Lars von Trier and co, I presume) couldn't withdraw it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: