Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cinemation going crazy (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cinemation going crazy
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-24-2001 10:44 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Cinemation (Peg Board) automation that's going crazy:

When a cue is read, the "stepper" goes, "Chicka - chicka - chicka.....", all the way down the board and just keeps going. It keeps going 'round and 'round and never stops.

We changed out all the relays and no effect. Any ideas?

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2001 11:28 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not familiar with that automation, but could you have a bad microswitch, capacitor, or diode in it?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-24-2001 11:51 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the cinemations used the Blue cruzet proximity switch cue detector. It is a normally closed contact and the foil passing it opens the contact. When they fail it usually open circuits.
Also check for a short in the selfpulse line of the board
Also does it matter which line it is on when it goes into auto selfpulse
The cruzette usually feeds a small R10 relay
Check the powersupply to ensure it is stable. If it is loading down with a cue the fact that the cue relay is opening will cause the effect of multiple cues

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-24-2001 02:21 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My experience with those outdated things is simple. They are junk. I don't think you can get the diode pegs anymore, either. Most theaters that had them junked them in favor of other units.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-24-2001 02:50 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I disagree they are not outdate and definitly not junk.
They are one of the few automations that can do almost an infinite amount of things anyway you want them to
The diode pegs are still available from the UK. In fact they are still being made but useing electronic control.
There were several clones of this unit
They were built like the energizer bunny
they just keep on ticking

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-24-2001 03:59 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to agree with Gordon; I used one for 5 years and really liked it. There were a few different versions; I think ours was a Mark IV (15 functions; single direction diodes.) It was one of the few that seemed actually was designed for c/o booths. You did have to sit down and figure it out, but it would work with anything; motorized dimmers that had to be 'held'; sound processors that only needed a pulse, etc. It would also shut the show down if the lamp went out, most modern automations do not do that even today. (I always wanted to add another light sensor for if the exciter went out.) The only thing I did not like was; it only ran a short time after the c/o closed and would stop with film still in the projector.

I did replace the stock diodes with something heaver (forget what; 1N2002's?) and never had any more diode 'sneak' problems.

I had a very similar problem with the stepper- turned out to be that transistor for the #1 projector that is mounted at the bottom.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-24-2001 05:03 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon, If I run across any that was ripped off the wall, I'll send them to you as a gift.

However, one of the last ones I saw was in Huntsville, Alabama in a 70mm house in late '60's. It worked most of the time. Maybe the newer models were ok, but I was not impressed with what I saw in the older models. The projectionist was complaining about it popping diodes on a regular basis.

And, from what Gordon is saying, it just seems like too many things can go wrong with them.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2001 05:25 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon is on track with the possible solution, also, some versions of these had a 'return' micro-switch on the stepper unit, if this opens it can cause non stop cycling too. You have to hand it to Roscoe Perdue, his invention has been around longer than any other automation, I used them for years with EXCELLENT results! I even had one programmed to changeover pix/sound from a 16mm to either of the 35mm machines! It was great!!

------------------
John Eickhof President, Chief Slave
Northwest Theatre Equipment Co., Inc.
P.O.Box 258
Wendell, ID. 83355-0258
208-536-5489
email: jeickhof@nteequip.com

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-24-2001 05:32 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cinemation was designed in the Uk by a chap named bentley. His company was called Essoldomatic. When he retired a xenon lamp supply co took it over and maintains parts plus offers a new version. http://www.tlsuk.com/
In the US it was imported by EPRAD.The first ones used a rotating drum that you inserted pegs into to trip microswitches.
The heyday of them was the standard pegboards Include the masive 48x48 matrix with bidirectional pegs (red and green)
John there was a option on the excitor failure

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2001 10:57 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too am a big fan of the Cinemation Mk III and IV, in that they permit you to program the performance to whatever timing sequence you desire, giving the audience the same perfect presentation, no matter who is running the equipment. This of course, assumes that a professional projectionist (who cares about the showmanship aspect of the job) is programming it.

Unfortunately these days howerver, more and more, the job of programming is being left to staff who have neither the training nor inclination to put of a good presentation. They are usually satisfied if they manage to "get through a show" without too many refunds.

At a couple of theatres I visited, for example, they had the sound switching to Dolby 04 simultaneous with the projector motor starting, giving the audience the pleasure of hearing the leader and sync "beep" as it came up to speed.

Re: your intemittent problem with this automation, relay "C" as i recall, is responisible for the auto stepping function. If a shorted diode in row 15 is present, the thing will step forever.

Row 15, by the way is a good way of checking diodes. Simply fill up the row with diodes to be checked and pulse the board. It should continue merrily on its way around the 48 steps, continuoulsy. It it does, all diodes are at least, conducting. Remove one diode and the stepper should stop when it reaches this line. (Now you know that none of the diodes is shorted, either.) If it continues on, one of your diodes is shorted. (I have replaced the diode elements too, with 1N4004 diodes at a cost of about 14 cents each).

In one of the first installations of these boards, in Belleville Ontario, back in '68, the installation electrician failed to provide protection for the circuitry before drilling holes for elecrtical conduit into the top of the automation, resulting in many metal particles throughout the automation. This caused mysterious cues to appear during the show for years after.

Gordon brings up a good point about the blue Crouzet sensors. They are normally closed, meaning that the R-10 relay is normally energized until they see a pulse. They temporarily de-energize and the normally-closed contacts cause the board to pulse. If the sensor is going (good luck finding a new crouzet), or the relay contacts are badly worn, this will cause the stepping you describe.

The sensor can be changed to a normally open type, provided you change the pin connections on the R-10 to normally open. An addittional advantage of this is that the board will not step every time you turn it on.

Let me know if you need any crouzet sensors.

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2001 04:25 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked in a Hoyts theatre built in 1969 that had Cinemation, a very stable automation unit. I last worked in this theatre (70mm) in the mid 1980's, it still operates with Cinemation today!

The Philips/Norelco/Kinoton version was similar and was acknowedged as one of the best automations made.

Today the CA21 made by Pennywise and sold by Christie and Kinoton is essentially an electronic version of the old relay matrix boards of the Cinemation era.

The advantage of these matrix units is that you can see what has happened i.e. follow the trail and see what is coming up next.

For a photo see page 135 of your SMPTE Motion Picture Projection and Theatre Presentation Manual, 1969 version!

David

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2001 02:31 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough I'm just in the process of repairing a unit with exactly this problem.

The guy here in the UK who designed and built these units was Bernard Bentley. I have no idea if he is still in circulation. I have aquired some drawings of the MkIV, and with the help of a colleague who's a little older than me, it looks like the problem is either the cue detector itself, or possibly either a transistor or capacitor in the pulse detection circuity. Now the trannies are germanium and therefore obsolete, there is however an equivalent, but that's getting rare too. I'll post my results, good bad or indifferent.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-26-2001 05:50 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pulse stretcher isn't installed in all the north american units but if you have it it can be rebuilt with almost any silicon transistor.
It would be easier to use one of the eprad/strong or the Raven proxs as they have a stretcher built in to it

Joseph Pandolfi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2001 06:50 PM      Profile for Joseph Pandolfi   Email Joseph Pandolfi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Gordon and John, they are not junk and those electro-mechanical monsters last and last and last. I am suprised my parter in crime Bryan Fournier has not seen this post. I will let him know tomorrow. He keeps our four 30+ year old Mark IV's ka-chunking away with no problems. If any of you have not seen this English marvel, go to the PICTURES section and click on the GCC Northpark 1&2 and it is the eighth picture down.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-26-2001 07:07 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'll back off on calling those things junk, since most of you gents are having such good luck with them. Every manufacturer produces lemons, and the one I saw in operation may have been just that. The posts you fellows made about the reliability of those units convinced me it may be a good unit after all. So, I'll stand corrected. Thank you.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: