Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CNA-150 Automation problems

Author Topic: CNA-150 Automation problems
Matt Basford
Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2001 04:49 PM      Profile for Matt Basford   Email Matt Basford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a location that has all CNA-150's and from what they tell me that have been droping like flies. They say that all that have gone out have had the same problems as they went out. They first loose power to the convenience outlet(slide proj.) then the programming craps out. They would reprogram them about once a week until it would loose its programing sometimes every show. At this point they see it last a couple of days and it's dead. Anybody ever had this kinda problem with these? Sure would appreciate it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-21-2001 05:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I have not. These automations and the Ultimation have been very reliable for me. One thing you can check is the backup battery and the switch next to it. Be sure the battery jumper(W4)is in the on position and that the battery is good. They usually last several years but they may already be bad. The other possibility is that you have a run made with a bad batch of parts in it. This however is really remote. Contact Strong, or Eprad for help on this. Eprad builds em for Strong. If ya can't get anyplace feel free to give me a call and I'll do what I can. The manual for the 150 is on line here in the manuals section in case you don't have one.
Mark @ GTS

Matt Basford
Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2001 05:11 PM      Profile for Matt Basford   Email Matt Basford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, That was my first inclination this being a 20-plex and bad batches come out sometimes. The only thing that swayed me away from that conclusion was that recently a replacement CNA-150 was replaced due to the same problems. Anyhoo, I'll see what I can do. Thank you.

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2001 06:59 PM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Matt;
These have been a very reliable automation for us -- all of the CineNet series have. I might understand sporadic problems but a whole complex makes me think something else is going on.

The battery back-up is one thing to consider, but this sounds deeper than that. Are these random problems? Did it start at once, and is it on all machines?

If it is, there's something that might be happening over the LSN (Local Synchronous Network) that connects all the systems. Is there a Host computer on that network?

Are these systems equipped with the Digital Dimming Controller option? Have there been problems with the dimmers before the automations were affected?

There's also an update that's required on the termination panels for these systems. An additional capacitor is required. Information is on our website, www. strong-cinema.com, then click on "Field Bulletins" and check out Service Bulletin SB-020.

Please keep me advised, and you're welcome to reach us at Strong. Always here to help...

Pat

Matt Basford
Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2001 08:05 PM      Profile for Matt Basford   Email Matt Basford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far it does not seem to be affecting all the machines as in a network problem. They seem to be random cases equaling about 1/2 the machines have had problems and to my knowledge have been replaced. These do not have the Digital Dimmer and no 'host'. I will read up on the update and confer with the previous tech in order to get a full recap of problems of this nature at this location. Thank you.

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2001 07:01 AM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt; My previous post had the wrong service bulletin number, which I've gone back and edited. Look for SB-020, the last currently on the site. This could well correct the random problems.

I wouldn't totally discount the network interference yet either -- that's usually been the way I see electrical noise get into the systems. It might affect some or all of the systems, depending on what they are doing at the time -- same noise but different problems.

If you need those capacitors let us know.

Pat

Matt Basford
Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2001 08:09 AM      Profile for Matt Basford   Email Matt Basford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat,
Thank you. Come to think if it we had another location having similar problems or actully more with dimmers acting funny. The RF was getting into the automation, we installed those capacitors on all 18 machines and and have had no problems since. Don't know why I did't think of that

Thanks

Matt

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2001 12:19 PM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem, Matt. That may well take care of the problem. Keep me advised...

Pat

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: