Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Orcon 2500S Lamphouse (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Orcon 2500S Lamphouse
Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2001 08:53 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need to replace the motor for the blower in this lamphouse. The manual mentions absolutely nothing about how to go about it. Any suggestions? Should I flip the entire lamphousing upside down and remove the bottom panel? It looks like a pig to remove, but I need to get it done. There is no one at our theatre that knows anything about the equipment. So, I'm at the mercy of the forum or our supplier. I'm mechanically inclined, and have fixed enough stuff around the theatre. I'm just hoping there is an easy way to get this done.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-12-2001 09:50 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is the ORC 2500 long lamphouse, it can be a pig to change. Remove the two screws in the the rear (underneath)of the base plate, and the two screws on the sides of the lamphouse, and the screws around the intake screen. Pull the rear assembly from the lamphouse, and with a little luck, the motor will fall out. Putting it back in is much the reverse, but when you try to get the motor lined up and the screws put back in is where you could lose your patience. I hate those yellow dogs!

If it is that short lamphouse with the concave dichloric filter in the front, then you just might have to take the whole shebang apart to get at it. I have two of those short lamphouses in the junk, and I'll look at them to see what else might be involved. It has been about 10 years since I actually changed one in that real short lamphouse, and my memory is kind of foggy on what is required to do to get it out of there. I'll get back to you on that tomorrow night.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2001 10:52 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul is right, you will have to remove the top, and the rear bulkhead (with switches & meters on it) Everything is plugged in using different Molex type plugs so the witring will be straight forward. The motor / blower is attached to the center bulkhead. It will be self evident as to how you remove it and change it. The replacement type is a Grainger type 4C005 Blower unit. They are readily available at any branch of WW Grainger Co. or see them on line at www.grainger.com
Have fun! Its a bear of a job! But you will end up knowing the guts of a typical lamphouse that pre-dated simplicity!

------------------
John Eickhof President, Chief Slave
Northwest Theatre Equipment Co., Inc.
P.O.Box 258
Wendell, ID. 83355-0258
208-536-5489
email: jeickhof@nteequip.com

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-13-2001 12:17 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, if I recall correctly, he may have to re-use the blower case if he has that style that bolts on the center or rear bulkhead. Nothing aligns properly without using it. Seems I had to do that with the ORC XH-16 and XH-30, also.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2001 04:21 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee whiz! And I was hoping for a hidden trap door! To top it off, some moron stripped the head on one of the screws on the lower panels. So, it looks like it will be an all day event to replace that bugger. Now, to just find the time to do it. Thanks guys for the great advice. I was able to get a motor from American Cinema. But, Scott did mention Grainger in case he couldn't rack one down.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-13-2001 08:09 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don, I looked at that pile of junk I was talking about. But one question I have: Do you have the lamphouse where the motor is actually mounted on the rear bulkhead? Or, the center? If the motor is mounted on the rear bulkhead, chances are, you have a big Cannon Plug on the rear bulkhead, too. If you have the style where the motor is bolted on the floor of the lamphouse like the XH-16 and XH-30, then you practically have to dis-assemble the whole thing to get at it.

Paul

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2001 04:36 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, it looks like the center bulkhead. This lamphouse is totally different than the other 2 Orcon units in our lower booth. The blower motor looks like its right up against the lower lamphouse cover. You can see it as plane as day where the top/bottom covers meet.Thanks John and Paul for your help. I'm going to tackle this pig on tuesday. I don't want to work on it this weekend, since the movie "Recess" is running on that system. I'll let ya know if I succeed, or kill myself! Don't worry, there will be no power to the lamphouse when I tear it apart!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-14-2001 08:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to see myself twice........just kidding! Musta clicked the mouse twice.
Mark

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-14-2001 08:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy cow! I put in those two lower booths a long time ago. Man, it was all used stuff then........and it just keeps ticking. The electrical inspector was brand new on the job when he inspected that booth. He didn;t have a clue what he was looking at but he sure was a prick! Hows Bob and John these days? Tell em I said hi!
Mark @ GTS

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2001 08:52 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, oh my gosh. You've pinpointed the location. Bob and John are doing just great, they're building a new multiplex this spring. John came down to help me fixed an exhaust fan motor upstairs, and blow smoke in my face while I worked on the audio downstairs. Thank god I never took up smoking!!!! I'm sure that nothing has changed at this location since you were here, that is ,other than the staff. Ok, we did add a cd player! But, the Simplex's keep a ticking. I can only imagine what the electrical inspector was like, and I bet he's still on the job. There's nothing worse than having something electrical die in that theatre. It takes hours to track it down. I really wish they would have left it a two screener instead of splitting the lower auditorium in two. The main fuse box is labeled from the days it was a one screen, and its a bitch to locate anything. I will be talking to Bob on Thursday, I'll tell him you said Hi. He'll probably wonder how in the hell I know you?????????

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-18-2001 04:42 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Don,
I'm amazed that John doesn't have to drag an oxygen bottle to suck from yet. He still smokes ha? Too bad. I had allot of fun with those guys in past years. John and I used to go over to the Back Door at the Capitol Theater for a drink or two. I always told them that they needed a "Back Door" at the Strand to make it complete.
BTW: That DTS upstairs at the West Bend is the second one I put in for Jurassic Park!
Mark

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2001 02:57 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys, here's an update. Today, I tore the lamphouse apart. You guys were right, it was a pain in the ass. Motor was fairly easy to remove. Only thing, the replacement Dayton motor that was shipped to us had the wrong shaft size. Oh well, I have the right part on its way. If nothing else it was an educational experience taking it apart and putting it back together. I found about 5 lost screws and a handful of shattered glass in the cabinet. No cigarette butts from John (but then I doubt if he ever worked on the equipment). So today wasn't a total waste of time. Cleaned that puppy inside and out, and also now know it inside and out. Still, I'm not looking forward to tearing it apart to put the correct motor in place.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-20-2001 04:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Don,
Isn't there an old lamphouse down in the cellar under the stage? I seem to remember seeing one down there years ago. I know the brothers never throw anything out.
Mark @ GTS

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-20-2001 09:28 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have fun, Don. By the way, if the CFM is the same along with the motor speed ( I think it is about 3,000RPM) you should be able to use the new squirrel cage. Check to see if the holes in the housing alignment are the same as your old one. Some mods might be necessary. If the wheel diameters and the width of the wheels are the same, you can probably use the old housing so it aligns better. You probably noticed ORC's idea of alignment is BIG HOLES and little screws.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2001 04:05 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh ya, big holes little screws, and a crappy manual. The motor did actual line up with the holes on the housing. The shaft was the problem. If I had a drill press handy, I would have enlarged the hole in the brass center piece on the squirrel cage fan. Easier to just order the proper part. Heck, its only money....oh yeah...and time. I only wish that there was someone locally that could teach me more technical stuff. I'd rather do that than manage anyday. But, I'm considering sending out my resume to a few WI chains, I'd rather be in this line of biz instead of what I currently do as a full time career. Thanks Paul.

Hey Mark- No spare lamphouse in the dressing rooms. I've been in every nook and cranny in the theatre. The basement has flooded many times because being located right next to the Milwaukee river, maybe it was damaged during that period. But, you are right about them never throwing out anything. They even were going to give me the old pair of Motiongraph projectors from their old Sheboygan theatre. But, I never saw them, and probably never will since I don't manage for them anymore. I just fix equipment, fixtures, plumbing, and ocassionally fill in for sick employees. They weren't to happy about that decision, but it was something that needed to be done at the time.Well, enough with my rambling.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: