Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby CP500 Ver 1.5 Software Woes

Author Topic: Dolby CP500 Ver 1.5 Software Woes
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-08-2001 08:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lately, in the last few weeks I have been having a number of troubles with CP-500's running on Ver 1.5 or later software going to the "Return To Factory Settings Screen". I have been communicating with Dolby on this problem and I was told that it is a line of code that was written in the wrong order or place. I have had three units do this in the last two weeks or so. I was told that during bootup a checksum is run and if the computer thinks the memory is corrupt for whatever reason then the software directs it to go to the default screen. Unfortunately, there is no way out of the default screen except to tell it "ok", there is no choice of a "cancel" on this one. I wonder how many other techs on this forum have been having troubles with this. Considering all the 500's that I have installed since they came out I have had perhaps less than a dozen problems total. That is a prety good track record. The older software must be more stable.
Since I have yet to do much with the 650 I will leave it out of the picture for now but I understand that similar software issues have crept in.
Perhaps Ken or Lonnie would be kind enough to step in and correct me on the above if I have put it down wrong and also inform us as to the progress of the fix.
Is there an older version of the operating system that we can install, or is the new software on the very near horizon.
Thanks,
Mark @ GTS

Ken Jacquart
Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2001 09:36 PM      Profile for Ken Jacquart   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Jacquart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark and others...

I am interested to know if anyone else has experienced the problem that Mark described (CP500 losing EQ settings, etc.. and re-setting to factory defaults). If so, please email me or post. Lonny and I have received some calls on this of late affecting perhaps a few dozen units that we know of. If this has happened to you, please let me know. On a side note, this re-enforces the fact that everyone should back up their CP500 paramater file anyway... unless you like to do B-chains like I do...

ken

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-14-2001 08:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ken,
I like to do B chains too, but not 5 min before a show starts! Reloading the data is sure a good second choice in that situation though. Had another in the same location dump out late last week. I got em back up in bypass over the phone for now.
Mark @ GTS

Ken Jacquart
Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2001 08:50 PM      Profile for Ken Jacquart   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Jacquart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

In your first post, you used quotes when saying "Return to factory settings screen". Did the CP500 screen literally display that text or something similar?

ken

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-18-2001 04:46 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ken,
I didn't write down what its exact words, but it was something to that extent. You could not cancel out of the screen. There was only an ok option to close it out. I tried re-booting a couple of times and kept getting the same screen again, so I had to accept the ok function. This cleared it out. Luckily I had the data on my laptop form the original B chain alignment!!
Mark @ GTS

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: