Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex Oil/Lube Questions (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Simplex Oil/Lube Questions
Dennis Tichy
Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2001 05:38 AM      Profile for Dennis Tichy   Email Dennis Tichy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a can of Simplex Sound Head Oil. Can I use that oil on both the projection head and the sound head of my Standard. Are there any substitutes for Simplex oil? (How about SAE 30 non-detergent Motor Oil?) What would be a good schedule for oiling the machine. And what about lubing the Standard. Is there a substitue I can use for the Simplex lube. How much do you use and how often? Finally, does anyone have the phone numbers of suppliers who deal with hobbiests? It seems that some of the suppliers I contact are reluctant to deal with people who do not own theatres.

Thank you for your help. You film-tech regulars are the greatest.

Dennis Tichy

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2001 07:26 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis, Wolk in Chicago will sell to us small timers. I've purchased lubricants from them, just give them a call and your plastic money and it on UPS the next day.
http://www.edwolk.com/

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-27-2001 08:17 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't use soundhead oil in the picture head. It's too thick and will likely damage something. (Someone else will be able to say _why_ this is bad, but I've just been told to Not Try That by people who know what they're talking about.

As for oiling schedule--if it's anything like the Super Simplex, you pretty much need to oil it all the time. As in, every couple of reels. Just add a few drops to each of the oil tubes, and you should be all set. As long as the intermittent oil is filled about halfway up the glass, you don't need to fill it, but you should probably change the oil at least once or twice a year by draining it and re-filling the intermittent.

I don't know about Simplex lube. I've used Century gear grease without problems on a Super.

With respect to dealers, I've been happy with Cardinal Sound in Beltsville, MD. and Boston Light and Sound in Boston, MA. There are probably many others who will deal with hobbyists as well. Actually, I'm surprised that you've had difficulty in finding a dealer who will sell to individuals...I'd think that any dealer should be happy to take your money...

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-27-2001 08:45 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do not use motor oil in any type of prjector. It is to thick and it is a patrolium base not a synthetic base. It will work in a car because the engine heat thins the oil. You do not have that in a projector. The old drive-in I worked at used older model simplexes and we added drops of oil before we started each feature. I can't remember the type of lubricant we used to grease the gears.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-27-2001 03:07 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer to use LaVezzi oil. Wolk stocks it in Quarts and it is available in gallons too. A bit on the expensive side but it is about the best projector lube there is on the market. It's a synthetic, and does not dry up. It also has a special additive that permeates the metal a molucule or two. This is best used in a brand new machine or after an overhaul. Any trace of regular oil will reduce its effectiveness. I have used it in just about every projector out there. Its all I will run in any DP-70 or AA-2.
Mark @ GTS

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-27-2001 03:32 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think synthetic oils were around when the Super was invented
The list I have from one of there bullitens from the 50's was
Simplex Sound head oil SAE40 non detergent
SImplex projector oil (super/e7) SAE20 non detergent
Simplex XL SAE 10 non detergent
Century and Pro35's Prevost all are SAE20
Gaumont Kalee/Hortson is SAE40
Motiograph AA is SAE90

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-27-2001 03:37 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As some of the gentlemen said, don't use motor oil of any kind in the projector head. However, I have used Capella (refrigeration compressor oil) in the projector heads for years without any problems. There are about 2 or three viscositys out there - use the lightest possible.

If you are running Brenkerts, don't use Simplex oil unless you are in a bind. The Brenkert oil is very thin, and it will lubricate the shutter shaft bushings, etc. much better than Simplex oil will.

I have used aircraft hydraulic fluid in Brenkerts, and it seems to work ok, but I don't know in the long run how it would react. But it seemed to be better than Simplex oil. However, to be on the safe side, don't dump any oil in your projector head unless it is recommended by the manufacturer. Correct oil is cheap as compared to the cost of rebuilding the movement.

Paul

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-28-2001 12:04 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gord,
LaVezzi Oil was actually specially formulated for the Ultramittant which utilizes a Super Simplex Star and Cam. I have used this oil very sucessfully in all types of projectors as it has very superior lubrication qualities as compared to other regular projector oils. Intermittents will simply last longer with it, its just that simple! I have actually had intermittents with a slightly noisy pin quiet down after a couple of days runs with this type of oil.
You can quote all the oil weights and projectors you want to but you really only need to have this one type of oil around. It's also great for Simplex/RCA lateral guide rollers in sound reproducers. The stuff does not evaporate and hence does not turn gummy and cause the lateral giude rollers to stick.
Mark @ GTS

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-28-2001 12:10 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of lubricants has anyone out there tried mixing Marvel Mystery oil with regular projector oil. Many cinematographers use a 60/40 mix of Marvel and mineral oil to lubricate expensive camera movements. I have used this in my VV camera and it works great. The thing I don't like is that it does dry up. However these movements get oiled every 2000' and also get service quite regularly so evaporation hasn't really been a big factor.
Mark @ GTS

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2001 06:39 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of oiling Simplexes, I finally got the furnace in the garage (er, I mean, booth) working yesterday, so finally got to change the oil-pump take up to the reverse (drive-in) operation (when's the last time anybody did that?). To my (somewhat) surprise and delight, it works! Constant oil bath. These machines as far as I know always used Simplex oil and are as quiet as can be. How often do you oil SH-1020 soundheads and to what level? I just keep putting a bit in the tube, should this be kept "full"? Thanks.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-28-2001 03:06 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, there was a booth I ran relief operator in Oakland, Ca. The projectors were Simplex E-7's, and the regular operator used a concoption of Marvel Mystery Oil with Simplex oil. It was very impressive how easy it was to roll forward by hand, not to mention the run-down time of 30 seconds or more. The machines ran trouble free for years, nothing seemed to wear out, other than sprockets, pressure pads, etc. The projectionist that used that was using it for many years in his machines, and never lost a movement or any gears. In fact, those machines were so quiet, all you could hear was the shutter moving air. Loop noise was so minimual you would never know it was running film. It was the old UA theater on Telegraph Avenue, I think....Been a long time.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-28-2001 03:21 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, A suggestion for the Soundheads only:

First, when you check the oil level, make sure you break the vacuum lock, and wait a minute or so for the oil to settle. Since you are dealing with 30 or 40 weight non-detergent motor oil in the soundheads, and if the level is low, you might have to force feed it with your oil can.

I found the best way to get the correct oil level is to literally over-fill it, and let it sit over night, and the excessive oil will leak out into your cookie pan (or whatever) you have under the projector. Then the next day, make sure you break the vacuum lock again, let the oil settle once more for a few minutes, and make a note of where the level is in the sight glass. Then run your level about a sixteenth of an inch or so below that.

There have been many gears lost in the soundhead because the projectionist did not break the vacuum lock proir to checking the oil level. You break the vacuum lock by simply lifting the cap on the oil tube, or with the RCA sound heads, just loosen the cap so air can get in, if so equipped with that type of sight glass/oil tube.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2001 04:35 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would take Paul's advice! NEVER use a parafin based oil in a projector! IE: Motor oil OF ANY KIND! The tolorances are such that parafin will build up and dry out the bearings / shafts. Thus, galding & bindups will occur! Capella (Texaco) Type G was originally the oil supplied in Simplex containers since 1913, (It was 7.5 weight, WAX FREE oil) Unfortunately, about 15 years ago, Texaco stopped the 7.5 wt, they now sell
Capella WF-32 (ISO 32 wt, about 9 wt) This is IDEAL for intermittents of all types, as well as general projector head lubrication. Wax free oils do not tend to attract dust. The soundhead gearbox oil is Capella WF-100 (100 ISO or 30 WT) La Vezzi's oil is great! But your local Texaco jobber can supply Capella WF 32 or 100 at about $8.00 / GALLON! It was always specified in Simplex, Century & other manufacturer's instructions to use a wax free oil. I too have seen Marvel oil mixed 20%-80% with WF-32 and I have seen 30 wt NON DETERGENT mixed 60%-40% with STP used in RCA & Simplex soundheads, with GREAT RESULTS!

------------------
John Eickhof President, Chief Slave
Northwest Theatre Equipment Co., Inc.
P.O.Box 258
Wendell, ID. 83355-0258
208-536-5489
email: jeickhof@nteequip.com

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-28-2001 05:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course one must take into consideration that the better synthetic oil will get you much longer life from the very expensive components in your projectors. For instance, using cheap oil is not a payback for the cost of rebuilding an intermittent, or say replacing a verticle shaft in a DP-70.
Mark

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2001 05:59 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too much is better than not enough! Thanks for the advice fellas. The only oils I have are Simplex Projector & Soundhead oils, so I should be okay.?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: