Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Attention UK readers - is this a scam? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Attention UK readers - is this a scam?
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-26-2001 02:05 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just had a leaflet through the post inviting me to join an organisation called The Association of Film Projectionists. It says that if I send them £56, I can put the initials CAFP after my name!

Does anyone know who is behind this and whether or not it is a genuine trade organisation? We already have the BKSTS as the professional body to which projectionists belong in this country. So I am rather suspicious about this, mainly for two reasons:

1. A trainee lawyer friend of mine says although she can't think of anything specifically illegal about doing this, it is the convention in this country that only organisations which have a Royal Charter can grant you the right to put letters after your name in return for money, and that fees are only usually charged for sitting an exam. Saying 'just give me this money and you can use this title' is dodgy as hell.

Secondly, there appears to be no check on whether you meet the membership criteria they are asking for. There are various grades of membership they offer (£43 as a 'projectionist', if you have less than three years' experience - letters PAFP, £48 as a 'first projectionist' - FAFP, &c.), but there is no indication from their publicity that this organisation has any intention of checking out your credentials. Just give us the money, in other words.

Finally, this organisation gives its registered address as Cambridge House, 128 Park Road, Camberley, Surrey, GU15 2LW ('phone and fax 01276 670000). However, the envelope it arrived in was postmarked Farnborough, which is some 50 miles away.

Does anyone smell a rat here?

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2001 07:50 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that sounds highly suspect to me. I would not send any money or you'll never see it again!

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2001 07:54 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey
Send me £56 and you can put S.U.C.K.E.R. after your name!

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-26-2001 08:05 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo, don't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-26-2001 10:36 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that would be a 3.048 meter pole...

If it is a scam, (and it does seem like one) it's too bad that some crook would degrade a profession that already is sort of 'on it's knees.'

We should try and find out what this is, and if it's not on the level, expose them.

A quick web search did not find anything....

Ben Stephenson
Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2001 09:18 AM      Profile for Ben Stephenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got one through the post today and it ended up in the bin today !!!!!

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2001 02:22 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo- just pass this on to the Goverment Trading Standards as this seams to be a illegal operation.

I will check this address out myself next weekend to see who they are, I myself not recived any information on this association.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2001 02:26 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo-The town of Camberley is only about 6 miles north from Farnborough which is the postal town for this area in north Hampshire just off the M3.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-27-2001 06:10 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason I thought that Camberley was a suburb near Heathrow Airport - but a quick glance at the AA road atlas reveals it to be a lot further to the south-west as you say - sorry.

By the way, I've sent the flyer to the president of the BKSTS asking him to investigate, and if this turns out to the scam that I fear it is, to publish a warning in 'Cinema Technology'.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2001 01:56 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have spoken to Dion Hanson(Vice President of the BKSTS) regarding this mail out and he tells me he heas never heard of this "association".

In order for a group of people to form a membership based association they must follow certain guidelines. I have sent a fax requesting clarification on their status (see below) but as yet have received no reply.

DATE: January 26, 2001 TIME: 9:56
TO: THE ASSOCIATION OF FILM PROJECTIONISTS
01276 670010
E-mail: r.vaughan@nmsi.ac.uk
RE: MEMBERSHIP APPLICATIONS

Dear Sirs
I received your letter today requesting that I distribute application forms for your organisation to the projection staff in our cinemas.
Before I consider doing so I would be grateful if you could supply me with further details regarding "The Association of Film Projectionists"
1) Who are the officers of the association; chairman, treasurer, membership secretary etc? How are they elected and what is their term of office?
2) Could you please supply a written statement of the aims of the association
3) Are you affiliated to any other professional organisation such as BKSTS?
4) How do you intend to administer the different grades of membership?
Is there a procedure in place to establish the level of competency of those who apply or is the length of time spent in the industry the only criteria for different grades of membership?
5) Where is the library you refer to situated, what does it contain and what access do members have to it?
6) How often is your newsletter " The Projectionist " to be issued?

Yours faithfully

Dick Vaughan
Cinema Operations Manager
National Museum of Photography, Film & Television

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-29-2001 09:08 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Great Britain guys...

Any of you ever run across an ex-Aussie projectionist by the name of Derek Olsen? He seems to have vanished from the planet.

Thanks,

John

------------------
"It's not the years, honey...it's the mileage". Indiana Jones

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-17-2001 01:53 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update: A brief article appeared in this month's 'Cinema Technology' (Spring 2001 edition) stating that (i) the editor had received several letters from people who'd received the mailshot asking if he'd heard of it, and (ii) no, he hadn't.

Apparently he rang the 'phone number on the mailshot and was told that the 'Association' had been running for some time and was organised by a number of projectionists. However, he refused to name any of the other people involved and added that all the senior industry figures he'd spoken to had never heard of this organisation.

All this says I can think of rather better things to spend £56 on (about 25 pints of beer for one thing)...

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2001 06:28 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo:

It sure sounds more and more like a con artist running a scam to get your hard-earned money.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2001 03:39 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never did get a reply to my fax. I actually sent it three times over a two week period.

I also called the phone number and a very confused lady seemed to be unsure about what the association was . I asked for a contact name but she said she wasn't allowed to give out names.I gave her my name and number and asked for someone to call me but suprise ,suprise 7 weeks later no call!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-21-2002 02:33 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone heard anything further about this outfit?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: