Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » A call for remaining 70mm cinemas (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: A call for remaining 70mm cinemas
Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2001 01:20 PM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear All at Film-Tech,

This must be something for you. DTS has asked me to come up with a list of ALL remaining 70mm cinemas everywhere in the world. In any case they'd like to know how many theatres still can project 70mm 5-perf.

I have made a web page on my site at http://hjem.get2net.dk/in70mm/in70mm/70mm_theatres_woldwide.htm

-, where I will list the theatre names you know are able to run 70mm 5-perf.

This is of general interest in order not to say goodbye to 70mm 5-perf completely. So, please share your wealth of knowledge, so we again can have more 70mm 5-perf in theatres.

All the best
Thomas

..in 70mm - The 70mm Newsletter

Copenhagen, Denmark

|  IP: Logged

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2001 03:25 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, any help you all can give us is very much appreciated. We are doing our best to keep 70mm alive.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-25-2001 03:48 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have 4 Norelco AAIIs and a couple Century JJs sitting here waiting to be installed...SOMEWHERE... When these machines go into service, you will be the first to know!

Aaron

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-25-2001 04:31 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Feel free to use the lists that I have:

US 70mm-equipped theatres
non-US 70mm theatres

A few notes: I've been accumulating these lists thanks to many submissions over the last few years. I can't guarantee the accuracy of most of the theatres listed, since I haven't seen most of them personally. Also note that I was intending to list only "regular" theatres and screening rooms, not special-venue sites or other locations which may have 70mm projection capability. Please send any additions/corrections deletions to me as well as Thomas so that we can keep both lists updated. Thanks.

Also note that the web site may be inaccessible to some people due to a router failure in the att.net/mediaone.net backbone. Sorry about that. I've _temporarily_ put up copies of these lists on a different server (links below), but don't bookmark them, since that's not the "official" site. Thanks.
US 70mm mirror site (temporary)
non-US 70mm mirror site

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2001 11:38 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

You can add a couple of theatres in Denver, Colorado to your list.

UA Greenwood, 2 screens.
UA Continental, Screen 5 850 seats

In Aspen Colorado, the Wheeler Opera House is 70mm equiped.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-26-2001 12:11 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, I wouldn't count the Continental. I just went there last week and first, the Norelco AA2 has been replaced with a Christie gearless. Second, the sound in that #5 auditorium is beyond pathetic. That room needs some SERIOUS acoustic treatment, a good B-chain, and at least double the light output I saw on the screen. I've seen brighter drive-ins! (At least the other 5 auditoriums seemed to have around 16 footlamberts of light.)

The other 5 auditorium's sound systems were decent, but oddly enough the small #3 auditorium and the #1 THX auditorium seemed to have the best sound in the complex, but nothing spectacular. The THX auditorium #6 was incredibly screechy and harsh...the kind of harshness you can feel in your eardrums. It wasn't being played loud either.

Regardless, after viewing about 2 minutes of Cast Away in #5, I would never under any circumstances watch a movie in that auditorium under the current presentation conditions. (On a positive note, none of the prints in the complex were scratched...just very dirty at the reel changes. That's better than the "typical" theater complex today.)

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2001 11:45 AM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, thanks so much for the list! I really appreciate it.

Karen at DTS

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2001 11:48 AM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One added note, I still need help with the rest of the world, expecially Europe.

Karen at DTS

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2001 12:52 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

Last I heard the 70mm projector (Century JJ-2) from Sony Park Central 4 in Dallas(Century JJ-2) is currently located in the LCE Keystone Park, not in use, rusting away. From what I recall both mag heads were missing from the penthouse as well, but otherwise the projector is operational.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2001 02:43 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, *finally* saw your list for non-US 70mm theaters! Thanks again, Karen at DTS

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-26-2001 02:54 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Karen -- I hope the lists are helpful to you. If you have any additions/corrections/deletions or if you find any other relatively current lists of 70mm-equipped cinemas, please let me know. Thanks.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-27-2001 01:41 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian-

You forgot about the Esquire Theatre (which you used to manage) in Denver also has 70mm capability. Remember Hamlet?

I agree with Brad about the Continental, although 70mm sure LOOKS better than 35mm in that room (it is much brighter) the sound still sucks ass. They should put in a Harkeness (sp?) screen to get even more light out of it. For the sound a drop ceiling would go a long way to help things. Ian has told me many many times that he is a big fan of drop ceilings, so he would be overjoyed if that happened.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-27-2001 11:07 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Warner Theatre in Erie, Pennsylvania (USA) has a pair of Norelco AAIIs. with Super Cinex Lamps.

They pretty much sit idle, now but I know they are in runable condition because I,myself, have had them running. All they really need is for somebody to give them a good going over to get the dust out of the nooks and crannies. They need a good oil change too. Other than that you can probably start them up and run a 70mm print right now. Maybe you'd want a day or two's notice just to test them out, etc. but I'm sure they'll run okay.

The city Civic Authority owns it now and they use it mostly as a convention and concert venue. There's just not much interest in showing movies there. I've tried to stir up interest but what's one goofy guy like me going to do?

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2001 01:16 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe I forgot the Esquire!

"2 Screens. Built in 1928. Operated by Landmark since 1980. Located in a quiet residential neighborhood, the Esquire Theatre is nestled into Denver's hip and trendy Capitol Hill area. Originally built in 1928 as the Hiawatha Theatre with one screen and a balcony, over the years, it has evolved into a twin screener. Today, it features the finest in independent film and foreign language cinema. "

"Although the Esquire's appearance is that of a theatre built in the early 1960s, its presentation is definitely up-to-date, including 70mm capability and Sony Dynamic Digital Sound. The Rocky Horror Picture Show plays every Saturday at midnight."

And to think, it is only 4 short blocks from the house I still own in Denver.

Chris Wootten
Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2001 01:20 AM      Profile for Chris Wootten   Email Chris Wootten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Add to the list :

Adastra Cinema RAAF Base Laverton Victoria Australia

Totally refurbished in 1994, and to demo it "Lawrence of Arabia" was screened.

Add it....

------------------
"I luv the smell of napalm in tha mornin !"

Keep Smiling......Chris

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: