Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film-Tech's new film cleaning media

Author Topic: Film-Tech's new film cleaning media
Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2001 11:28 PM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me start what should be an interesting thread.

Samples of the new cleaning fabric arrived today. I've had a chance to run two prints through the cleaner, using the new fabric and Film-Guard of course. First let me say my setup is a single machine with 2000 foot reels and a Christie cleaner. Yes, I'm one of those evil collectors.

Both prints were fairly dirty and had never be introduced to Film-Guard. My first observation was that all (yes, all) of the on-screen visible dirt was gone. However, the streaking visible on-screen was more pronounced. That should settle down quickly now that the dirt is removed. I'll post the results after a couple more runs.

The length of the rolls is great, the longer the better. I much prefer white, it's eaiser to see how dirty things really are.

I still have trouble attaching the fabric to the take-up spool. Everything is so slippery when a little Film-Guard gets on it. Any suggestions?

Anyway, two thumbs way, way up for the new media.

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-20-2001 12:15 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attach the media to the take up before you apply the Film Guard.

------------------
"It's not the years, honey...it's the mileage". Indiana Jones

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-20-2001 12:35 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tried out the new pads today. We do not use film guard at our theater. From what I understand they do not want us to so I have not persude it. I wish I could because of all the good things I have read about it. Anyway, the performance of these pads without filmguard was remarkable. I noticed more dirt being removed with these pads than I did with the normal pads we use. It may have something to do with the fact they are treated with an antistatic agent and do not cause static wich just puts the dirt back on the film.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-20-2001 12:51 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would they not want to use FG? If they care enough to get you media pads and a kelmar cleaner in the first place.

Do they give a reason or do they just not know and therefore deem it an unecessary expense?

Darryl, why not try telling them you will pay a 32oz bottle yourself on the proviso that if they love it, they will reimburse you for the bottle.

...and they will love it, Darryl...you know they will.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-20-2001 04:11 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete, the trick is to load up the pads onto the cleaner dry. Once the cleaner is set and ready to go, THEN press the tip of the FG bottle up against the pads and spray directly into the roll. That way there is no mess and no hassle of trying to get the takeup to "grab" the core.

Jeremy Spracklen
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2001 09:42 AM      Profile for Jeremy Spracklen   Email Jeremy Spracklen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been a testing theater for Brad for a few years now and I have been working with the new pads for about a month. One interesting thing that I am finding is that the samples he gave me are so durable that we are able to use the same pads for two weeks at a time, instead of changing out the media every week. Of course we resoak the pads after 7 days to simulate new pads. I have to say that I am impressed with the quality of these. They wind perfectly straight and are not folding over on any of us when we try and rewind them. They are far superior to the Filcro and Kelmar pads that I have used in the past. I give them a solid A+. What is everyone else finding?

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2001 10:47 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete
I use Ronsonol unscented lighter fluid for cleaning the tape glue and gunk off of the film before splicing (it has naptha in it). Before I load a new set of cleaning media I use the lighter fluid to clean the black plastic cores so the tape will stick to them. I also use "Albertson's 100% cotton flats" ($2 for 40 flats) which are normally used for removing makeup off of women's faces. The only problem with the cotton is that if you snag it on a rough edge it will leave fibers so you have to watch for that. Otherwise it's a very inexpensive way to do it, and an easy to get product combination.
I don't smoke so I don't have to worry with the lighter fluid.
I've used it on all types of film and it has had no ill effects.

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-20-2001 02:21 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes another trick on attaching the media to the takeup cores, use Scotch "magic" tape (not "transparent" tape...make sure it says "magic") to attach the media to the takeup cores. All you need to do is take a paper towel, shop rag, whatever and give the cores a quick wipe and the Scotch tape will adhere exceptionally well (better than even artist's tape) and does not leave any marks.

One day soon I'll make a FG tips page, I promise.

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 01-20-2001 05:37 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have recently tested these pads and WOW! They are amazing. The durability on these pads are incredible. They definitely do pick up more dirt than any other brand of media pads I have ever used. They definitely achieve their full potential. I would not reccomend using any other brand to anybody. Film-Tech products brings a new name in presentation. I am very happy with these pads and will continue to use them. I hope that everyone out here will have the advantage of using this superior product. .

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: