Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Need info on strong Dimmer

Author Topic: Need info on strong Dimmer
Daryl Lund
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2001 03:18 PM      Profile for Daryl Lund   Email Daryl Lund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking for info on a strong dimmer. There is no numbers on it , it has 1989 on the circuit board. The outside is gray,the can is rectangal and is about four inches deep. two rocker switches and two rotating level controls. Where is the King of manuals Ken Layton? Ken did call strong to no avail.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-13-2001 03:29 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any chance this is an SD-2 dimmer? I know in the mid 80s Raven was making Strong's automation (The SPA-5 and SPA-5A) and it's mating dimmer, the SD-1 and SD-2 (the difference being one channel or two, ie screen lights).

This system had two parts, a controller board, usually located in or by the automation and the dimmer board(s) located in a small rectangular box near your breaker panel...the controller was connected by just a pair of wires for each channel. The two rocker switches were actually a two-step thing. The left one, brought the lights down to mid, the right one brings them down to dim. To bring the lights back to mid you push up on the right one...to go back to bright, you push up on the left one.

It was kinda a hokey system but in 15 years and a dozen or so dimmers, I have had 0 failures of any kind.

I believe a company called EDLO or somthing to that effect took over the RAVEN stuff until ED retired.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-13-2001 05:52 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, I agree with Steve. This sounds like the Raven clones. Simple and very reliable. What's the problem with yours?

Daryl Lund
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2001 08:16 PM      Profile for Daryl Lund   Email Daryl Lund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad no problem need to know how to adjust the two stage feature if it has one. the inside looks it has several pots to adjust. Also want make sure that it is hooked up right, but I think that Kenny L can figure that part out.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-14-2001 04:12 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Presuming that you have an SD-1 or SD-2...the control board is as such:

Orient your board with the terminals at the bottom. You should see 5 trim pots (single turn). They are grouped such that there are three across nearly in the middle of the board and two are in vertical orientation in the upper right section.

The three across are (from left to right) "stage dim", "stage bright", and "factory balance." The stage dim and bright levels speak for themselves (there is interaction between stage and house levels). The factory balance control is set such that the lights don't shimmer/flicker and sets the range of the dimming circuit.

This leaves the two pots in vertical orientation, the upper one is the "stage speed" , the lower one is the "house speed."

In addition to the previously mentioned rocker switches (previous post) there are supposed to be two external controls (single turn pots) to set "house half" level and "house dim" level.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: