Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS Problems

Author Topic: DTS Problems
Joseph Pandolfi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2001 07:17 PM      Profile for Joseph Pandolfi   Email Joseph Pandolfi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a new problem with my DTS 6 reader and maybe (and like always of this forum) I get good help here. Anytime while the feature is going, could be at the beginning, middle or end, the bottom drawer, which I always load the "B" disc, will open up. Of course my CP65 is set up to defult to SR when digital is lost, so it's not realized until I walk around doing my hourly show checks. I tried loading the "A" disc same thing. I am running two features, so this happens to both titles, so I belive it is not the disks.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-12-2001 07:26 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What revision of firm ware are you running?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-12-2001 09:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If this is an original DTS6 and not a DTS6-D unit (meaning white cover and 2 drives with caddys), I've had this problem before. As it turned out, it was the caddy itself! When I tossed the caddy and used a new one, the problem went away. Hopefully that's all your problem is. If it is and you need more caddys, I've got a couple of dozen you can have for the cost of shipping.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-12-2001 10:04 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has this happened before on this unit? Since you are running two different titles are both features two disk movies or is one of them two disks and the other one disk? If it is a caddy type unit are you using the same caddies for the disks because it could be a caddy problem. If not, try turning the dts unit off and back on after you change the disk in order to get a fresh boot.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-12-2001 10:16 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I agree that getting the latest firmaware is a good idea, I think it's a problem in the drive itself.

I don't think the system can tell the drives to eject. If they are ejecting on their own I'd say it's in the drive. (Be they caddy-type drives or not.)

I'd say you need to actually see this happen to be sure. For instance, does the thing eject at random times or does it always do it in the same place in the movie?

It just sounds so strange that I can't help but think that maybe somebody's playing games with you and ejecting the disk when you're not looking. (I dunno'... just a thought.)

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-12-2001 11:03 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If its a DTS-6 with the caddy drives, try swapping out the caddy with another. If the problem stops, its a bad caddy. (have had this happen before).

If its a DTS-6D or a DTS-6 with the caddyless drives, its 99% certain to be the drive, and in rare occasions the disc itself (the 'self-eject' problem will follow if the discs are reversed)

Aaron

Joseph Pandolfi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2001 09:25 AM      Profile for Joseph Pandolfi   Email Joseph Pandolfi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WELL TAKE IT ONE AT TIME:

GORDON: Don't know what revision at this time I will have to speak to our tech when he stops in. That may be our problem.

BRAD: Thanks for the offer on the caddys here. It is the original DTS6. We have three mobile units, which our racks have all the necessary cables so all we have to do is move the readers and drives from rack to rack as backup for those bad SRD prints
or whenever our Christie basement readers have a bad day. As I said in my original post it is not the caddys, because I tried swapping them (with the disks in) and running a seperate print different caddys

RANDY: I am the only one in the booth 99% of the time, so I'll rule your theory out of someome coming in and hitting the eject button.

THANKS ALL!!

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-15-2001 05:08 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those DTS players can do some strange things. My advice to you is since thise is the older model DTS unit that still uses the caddy type drives. I would go ahead and order the two disk drive upgrade kit from DTS. THis package includes two Teac disk drives drawer type and will have two circuit boards and an upgraded firmware chip. Just follow the directions that they provide. It is a easy to do job. Especialy if you have ever worked on computers.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-15-2001 06:32 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to agree on that one. I've had a few DTS that do funny things and 99% of the time installing that kit solved the problem. The only one I had that didn't was because the automation/sound processor were acting up.

When I was mentioning about the possibility of "tinkerers" it was only because I've had problems like that. When you're working in a 17-screener you can't be everywhere at once. There was a person who thought it was funny to do junk like that. .

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2001 12:57 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If one of the drawers keeps opening, it means the unit cannot recognize the disc OR the drawer has a mechanical flaw. If you are still using caddies, try replacing the caddy. Try moving the disc to another drive. If the same disc rejects, get a new disc. If the same drive keeps failing, then replace the drive.

If you need further assistance, please email me.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-16-2001 07:36 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard through the windmill that the DTS6-AD is a disaster. I hear people mumbling about it having more down time than up time. Hums developing in the center channel output, hash noise developing in other channels, center channels quitting all together, etc. Warrenty seems to correct all of this, but what gives, anyway? I know of four units that were sent back and repaired for these malfunctions. The Middle Board went goofy. Can anyone give me some idea as to what the blazes is going on?

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2001 12:14 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, we've been having a few problems with the DTS-6AD. The DSP (middle) board is being cleaned up and is working much better now. All DTS-6AD units are still under warranty and if any fail, we are replacing boards free of charge.

The other thing to remember (as posted on our tech site), on older units, the NONSYNC inputs will need isolation transformers IF logic problems go away after unplugging the NONSYNC connectors. We provide these transformers free of charge.

For more inforation, please send me an email.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Visit our techcenter site at www.dtsonline.com Click on 'cinema' 'techcenter' Serial nubers are no longer required to gain access to the site. The site it free to all internet users.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: