Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film-Techer Titles (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Film-Techer Titles
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-11-2001 03:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
I have run into a number of people that would like to frequent this thread but are intimidated, and or put off by the silly titles we all get based on the number of postings we make. A number of these people are old timers with allot of knowledge to share, and allot of great stiries to tell as well. It seems silly to keep them from joining us here.
Many of these people, both union and non-union have helped me in the learning phase of this trade and I am forever indebted to them for what they have shared with me.
Is it possible to change these titles in an attempt to attract some of these people into Film-Tech? If this is possible it would certainly seem worth the effort to do it. Perhaps titles like Operator,Head-Operator, or Technician, are now more appropriate than the silly Star Wars related titles we now get. Certainly the number of postings has nothing to do with how much knowledge of this industry a person possesses. I feel that an attempt to attract these poeple to this site far oughtweighs anything else as Film-Tech is the number one spot for this sort of thing.
I would also love to hear others opinions on this matter.
Thanks,
Mark @ GTS

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-11-2001 05:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually surprised that seasoned professionals would be put off by the titles. They know who they are and after a few posts it would be obvious to everyone else of their expertise. Just look at John Pytlak. Here's an Oscar award winner who started off as a lowly "film handler".

Anyway, it's just something fun that was implemented over a year ago and has always been popular and encouraged posting. If this is really a problem, it sounds like it is more of a personal issue with "to be" members, but if such a thing is truly an issue and the members want it abolished, I will remove that part of the coding. However, giving each individual person a specific title would not be easy, so the "titles" would probably just have to go away alltogether.

I'll take the majority vote of the first 50 responses I get here.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-11-2001 05:30 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess my vote is to discontinue the titles, but keep the number of postings a person makes. That way, there's no titles to get worked up over, but people know which members contribute often.

I only know of one person who got really worked up over titles.

Personally, I thought the titles were kinda fun, but I did talk to a guy who said something similar; except he thought there was an actual test (not number of posts) to get each title!

It would be nice if each person could put a title of their own choosing, though. Anything they thought reflected a bit more of their own personality. Mine would be: Author of the bestseller; "100 Meals in 2000ft or Less: Cooking with your Ashcraft Easy-Bake Lamphouse."

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-11-2001 05:49 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never thought the titles were anything more than fun. As a matter of fact it has been the subject of many a joke around work when discussing the latest news on Film-Tech.

Besides, who can tell you what makes the difference between a "Jedi Master Film Handler" and a "Phenomenal Film Handler"?

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2001 05:59 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I say, leave'em alone.
(wanna-be jedi master)

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2001 06:55 PM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to say leave them as is. They are just fun and besides, I'm almost to the 100 post mark!...heh. If this is really a problem with prospective members not understanding them, perhaps you could add an explanation to the forums screen somewhere. I remember not knowing what they were about until somebody posted "Hey, this is my 100th post. I'm an expert now..." or some such.

-Mike

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2001 08:06 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So if someone with little or no knowledge replies to every new post with "I agree with what John Doe said" 100 times, then he is suddenly labeled an expert? I'm not sure that I agree with the titles. Or possibly that the titles go up with the number of replies that you post. If I reply to a post that I will participate in a film-tech drink in Vegas, or that I like Beaven-poos, does that make me an expert?

I think that just listing the number of posts by your name is enough. As users read the posts, they'll recognize names and have an idea if that person knows whats going on. And hopefully "newbies" won't take the wrong advice from an "expert".

Just my 2 cents worth
Rick

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2001 08:39 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the spirit of...
Bruce Lee
2001: a Space Odyssey
The expanding Universe Theory
and the philosphy of "The Great Cricle"
...you could start out everyone who posts as a "newbie" then an "expert" then "jedi master" the "cosmic omnipotent being" then back to "newbie" again.....
Just an idea

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2001 09:19 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A "newbie, expert, and jedi master" poster, or "newbie, expert, and jedi master" advice giver?

Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2001 09:32 PM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeez, lighten up you guys. Of course they are silly. The sillier the better. If you don't figure out what they really mean after visiting this site a few times, shame on you.

My recommendation is for Brad to add a bunch of new categories and reduce the increment between them. Why does everything have to be so serious? Have a little fun!

For John Walsh,
Those Ashcraft lamphouses were the best pizza warmers I've ever used! I have a few other recipes if you ever publish! :-)

Pete

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 01-11-2001 09:53 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am honestly surprised that anybody would get so worked up about a title as such. I would not let a title that was meant for fun control my emotions or let it effect what people think of me. I personally do not judge others knoweledge by the title that they possess and anybody who wishes to not post due their "title" I would find to be insecure. Don't let a title prevent you from gaining or sharing knowledge. That's just dumb.

I say leave it. It's fun. .

------------------
--"That's my story and i'm sticking to it!"--

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 01-11-2001 10:05 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll vote to leave 'em as they are. The titles are just for fun after all.

As for evaluating the true "expert" level of a poster, all it takes is a couple of posts to figure out if someone is talking straight or talkin' trash on a given subject. Even the newbies on a given subject should be able to discern that by gauging the reactions of the other posters.

And if someone has doubts about a statement or some advise given in a post, go ahead and post a question about it! The ensuing discussion should reveal whether the subject post can be regarded as reliable, regarded as opinion, or regarded as questionable.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2001 10:45 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since it was always clear to me that these titles were "earned" only by number of postings -- whether that posting was a question, an answer, a joke, a manifesto, or a single word -- I was never intimidated by them. But since it's true that not everyone may know that, I agree with Pete and others... the sillier the better, and the more titles the merrier. Just a little bit of comic relief from the otherwise staid, somber world of projection....

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2001 10:51 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep them as they are now.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-12-2001 12:09 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto to that one. I enjoy being here and I always get a smile that I'm a 'Jedi'. If it really is an issue preventing others from joining in, yeah...maybe a note on the opening page would do it.

My vote...keep 'em.

------------------
"It's not the years, honey...it's the mileage". Indiana Jones

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: