Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Panamation

Author Topic: Panamation
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-07-2001 03:45 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone out there using this? It looks pretty darn good if you ask me so long as you have a reliable PC.

I particularly like the wealth of information it displays at one time like the countdown to end of session.

Take a look...
http://www.panalogic.com/panamation/Panamation.html

------------------
"It's not the years, honey...it's the mileage".
Indiana Jones

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-07-2001 07:41 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the "cinema status" screen. The manager in charge of scheduling should be fired!

Looks interesting, but the Christie/Pennywise system is much more straightforward and less cluttered in my opinion.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2001 09:43 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Multimation/AMX system running at newer complexes is the best I've seen thus far, but the Panamation looks like the sort of thing I've always thought cinema automation should be all about.

Most systems running today are good, but are usually more cumbersome to use in one or more areas than they need to be, especially given today's technology.

I think it can be safely said that the mouse/gui driven interface is the proven industry standard for computers, so it would make sense to bring cinema automation into this realm. The Apple Macintosh introduced the world to the advantages of a mouse-driven interface back in 1984, so cinema automation has not, for the most part, kept up to date with the rest of the IT industry.

It would seem that Panalogic thinks so too. I think it's a great step.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-08-2001 11:19 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I happen to have a pretty strong preference for command-line interfaces (or, better yet, software which offers both command-line AND gui interfaces), but I digress here.

Personally, I'd be a bit nervous about any of the computer-driven cinema automation systems. Part of my concern here is about obsolescence (conventional relay-based automations can easily last for a decade or more, but PC hardware is generally obsolete in only a couple of years and replacement parts, even for garden-variety generic PC hardware, tend to be difficult to find or impossible to get after a few more years), and partly because of reliability. If something goes wrong with a "conventional" automation system, you end up running one screen manually and, at worst, you lose the status indicator panel. No big deal. If something goes wrong with a computer-based automation system wherein one box controls all the screens in a gigaplex, major problems could result.

One idea that I would like, however, would be microprocessor-based automation systems which could be (but would not have to be) programmed through a terminal interface using a laptop attached via serial cable or over a theatre's LAN (give each automation box its own IP address, and allow telnet access from, say, the manager's desktop computer). You could even add a nice little GUI interface to this as well, but the guts of the system would still sit in the automation controller at each screen and nothing would depend upon the existence (or lack thereof) of the controller computer.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-08-2001 12:11 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still don't see why theatre automations can't be built out of any old PLC (programmable logic controller) box you can get from your average industrial supply dealer.

Honestly, what is theatre automation but "industrial process control" in disguise. The same technology that's used to run plastic molding machines or printing presses can be used to run a projector. It's nothing but motors and contacts. Actually, I bet a plastic press is a lot more difficult to program for than a projector. There are limit switches, over/under temperature sensors and all kinds of "emergency conditions" that projectors wouldn't have.

I've looked into making an automation out of a PLC and it seems to me that it could work. If I had the $$ I'd try to make one myself.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2001 12:52 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott - I believe that the Panamation is merely a front-end for each cinema's own Panalogic (relay-based) automation unit. It's rather like the idea you mentioned of plugging in a laptop strictly as a user-interface. From what I can tell from the site, it appears to be remote controller software and not an automation unit in itself.

From what I gather, each cinema needs to have it's own Panalogic automation such as the CA-1400 or the newer CA-2000, then there is the option of full network control via the Panamation.

If so, this would give one the best of both worlds, as you stated.

There is a 4-screen near where I live which uses Panalogic automation, so it would be interesting to see if they add the option of Panamation control. I'd love to see it in operation!

Randy: There is virtually no difference between an industrial step controller and a cinema automation system. In fact, my father used to use an Omron step controller for an injection molding machine he was developing years ago. One of the theatres I recently worked at used almost the exact same model of Omron step controller! So you are exactly right about that.

Larry Shaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2001 02:52 PM      Profile for Larry Shaw   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Shaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kinoton ASK 1 automation http://www.blsi.com/kinoton/ask1.htm is PLC based

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-10-2001 09:56 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too much electronics. More things to go wrong.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-10-2001 10:48 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On one hand there's me saying that I don't like computer and electronic doo-dads and on the other there's me saying I like PLC's for automation. (No, I'm not schizophrenic. *I* am!)

I like the idea of PLC because they are relatively simple to implement from the standpoint that they are so widely used in many different industries, for so many complex things that projectors might actually be a step down.

I imagine that once the equipment is installed the programming could be written and installed from a laptop computer or even one of those handheld gismos. Once the programs are written they can be flashed into the PLC, pretty much on a mass production basis. If there is a need for a specialized program it should be simple for a properly trained person to write it and download it as well. Assuming there are passwords and such, keeping unauthorized people from changing things is easy too.

On the other hand, if the PLC goes down you're screwed. You can't troubleshoot it nearly as easily as other kinds of automation. From what I know of PLC's manual controls are often added in as a backup. I wouldn't even think of using them if there weren't manual controls.

I guess what I'm saying is that there are all these new computerized automation systems comming out lately and I don't see why PLC's wouldn't be just as good as they are.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: