Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Standard porthole height

Author Topic: Standard porthole height
Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2001 09:03 PM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the standard height, floor to porthole center, for the port window?

I'm installing a projection booth in my basement, but I'm currently working off a portable projector. If I later get a Simplex or a Century on a base pedestal, what height should my porthole be at to minimize difficulties?

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-06-2001 10:26 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It varies, depending on projector and pedestal (or console) purchased. Some projector manufacturers supplied a chart that showed how large, and what height, to make the projector port window based on: the height of the lens (floor to lens center); the angle of the projector; and the focal length lens being used.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-06-2001 10:43 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some basic diagrams for booth construction in the "old" SMPTE projectionist book. They're intended for a booth with Norelcos, but they shouldn't be too much different from any other booth if you have "standard" Simplex or Century bases. I know that at least the Simplex LL-2 base (which is pretty common) is (was?) available in several heights, so if you get an oddball size you may need to make adjustments in the future.

I haven't seen the "new" SMPTE projectionist book, so I don't know if it contains booth diagrams or not.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-06-2001 11:08 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By not knowing what type of equipment you are going to use makes the calculations a bit dificult. I would say that the bottom of the port should be three feet from the floor and the top should be five feet from the floor. Make the port two feet wide. Remember to angle the glass so that any back reflection from the projected image is projected torwards the floor and not back into the lens.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2001 11:27 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original standard set by manufacturers in the 1920 is centerline of picture out from projector at 0 degrees tilt (level) is 47 inches. The port size due to codes existing at the time was a maximum of 144
square inches (12" x 12") That code is now obsolete and has been discarded in most areas. However, today's equipment still bases 47 inches as standard height for a 0 degree tilt. Whether its a console or a conventional base. I hope this helps! Generally in home screening room booths, projection ports of 12" high x 14" wide are the norm, and are easy to frame between studs. The view or operators ports are generally set at 64" center line of port from floor.
Good luck! If you need any other info, email me! I have built many screening rooms through the years! John http://www.nteequip.com

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-07-2001 12:48 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to what John said, you have to be very careful with the short-throw big screen houses. We have three of such, and because of the projection angle, the bottom sill of the projection porthole is about 33 inches off the floor.

Schneider Optics has a beautiful lense calculating program. It'll cite the size of the image on the porthole glass, but it does not cite how far off the floor the bottom sill should be. You have to figure that out yourself.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2001 05:20 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul is correct in that short focus lenses will require a larger port! This comes into play on any short throw with a wide screen!
You can easily figure the height of the port by doing a scale drawing with the projection line at 47" O.C. (level) Then measure distance from port (or wall) to the pivot point of the pedistal or console, swing a line out from this pivot point at the estimated up or down angle (in degrees off level) Then scale this line from floor at proposed port position and you will have your port located! Good luck!!!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-07-2001 08:31 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes autocad makes that even simmpler

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: