Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 3-D (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 3-D
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 01-06-2001 01:34 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first time went so well we're taking our second shot at 3-D. We did Dial M for Murder last time, this time its House of Wax. Lenses etc. are coming from Stereo Vision. The first time I anticipated a real pain in the ass but it only took about 10 to 15 min. to set up. Customers loved it. Big question now is does anybody know sources for single strip prints other than the few available from regular distributors?

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-06-2001 01:46 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you havn't tried them yet you may give it a shot. Kit parker may handle some of these films. They are a major distributor of films that are no longer handled by their origonal distributors. You may also find out some information from stereo vision in reguards to how to find these prints. Just a suggestion.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2001 02:47 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill
Are those 3d prints the one you where the goofy red and blue glasses for? Usually they are B/W? Or are they the polaroid type? I'd love to get ahold of one of those 50s monster movies in 3d. What a treat. Are there other kinds of 3d films?

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-06-2001 06:09 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the side by side 3d there is
Dial M for Murder
House of Wax
The Stewardess

In over under there is
Friday the 13th 3d
Jaws3d
Treasure of the 4 crowns
Space Hunter
Metal Storm
Frankenstien
Rotwieler
Amytiville 3d
Coming at Ya
as well as many more

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2001 07:13 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does over and under and side by side mean that there are two pictures printed on the same frame? I've never seen any 3d film

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-06-2001 07:30 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes on the side by side the original 1.33:1 images are squeezed with an anamorphic lens and printed side by side on the print
A anamorphic lens and beam splitter are need to project them
The over under has basically technoscope sized image Left and right eyes stacked one above the other in the same overall frame

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-06-2001 09:12 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep . . . Kit Parker has a great catalog, and I can't find mine right now. Their website is www.kitparker.com and their number is (831) 393-0303. Give 'em a call and ask for a catalog. The last one I had even indicated the which process (anaglyphic, etc.) in the film description.

Daryl Lund
Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2001 11:31 PM      Profile for Daryl Lund   Email Daryl Lund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about the 3d movies that used two projectors? With (and I cant Speel) sellsen motors.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2001 11:44 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two machine 3-D is the BEST! In fact we are setting up for a one showing of the film
Kiss Me Kate at the Egyptian theatre in Boise Idaho, next weekend! I had to dig out some selsyns, and dust off my set of Polaroid Port Filters, and we have to install a second projector! (They are plattered with a single Simplex 35/70) I am looking forward to this show, it's been a few years since I've projected GOOD 3-D! The last was 'House of wax' in 1991. I will be interlocking a 35 Simplex XL to the 35/70 machine, the print we are getting is NEW and actually has an SVA / SR stereo sound track. (Orig. was 4 track mag) Two machine 3-d prints are supplied on four 6000ft reels (2 reels each, left eye & right eye) There is a built in intermission while you rethread the second half of the film! I will take lots of pix of the set up and will post on my site at http://www.nteequip.com We have done some other special shows like 16 frames per second silents with pipe organ accompaniemnet, etc, check our site out! John

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-06-2001 11:46 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been so long since I ran 3D. I was thinking that frankenstien and coming at ya were side by side not over under. The big thing about Friday the 13th part III was the new 3D process that was over and under and involved the mirror box attatchment to go on your flat lens. Paramount even sent out there own boxes. Couple of things about this type of process. The mirror box must be attached to the flat lens. You have to use the scope aperture plate or in some cases no apperture plate. you have to have a piece of looped 3D film that has the left and right eye cordination on the film so the mirrors can be adjusted while looking thru a pair of 3D glasses. This should come with the mirror boxes. You will have to mask the port window if you are not useing the apperture plate. The biggest problem is the fact that the picture will not fill the entire screen on the bottom. So either you mask it in some way or you have this crappy out of frame look to it. A problem that didn't happen with the side by side image. Another problem that didn't happen with side by side is if the film breaks and you do not splice the film back correctly or if you do not frame the film correctly you will encounter what is called reverse 3D. Nothing will appear to be coming at you. If you get one of these films you will find that it is hard to tell were the frame line is. every two sprocket holes is a line. One is the frame line the othere is the left and right eye image split line. The frame line will be just a little narrower than this line. Check your prints closely and make sure any splices are correct.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-07-2001 01:30 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the mirror boxes predate friday13th
Paramount made the big blue ones for that movie and they were actually manufactured by Bell and Howell after they got sued over the Sirrus split lens that infringed on stereovision's patented split lens (even though the sirrus was vastly suppior)
StereoVision had brought out the StereoFlex as had Trimentional Technologies very early on
The biggest problem is that each film had different centreing and divison line spaceing
When useing the flat lens for over under one should use a magnifier to enlarge the image (increasing the light source by a factor of 4 at the same time) Also proper alignment can really only be achieved with the target loop for each film to provide correct centering of the two images. Any misalignment will cause either a flatened or exaggerate the 3d effect causeing eyestrain and headaches and in some people nausea.
We have done many 3d twin machines work and I usually prefer to use steppers rather than selsyn motors to lock the machines

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-07-2001 03:18 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The target loop film that's what I was talking about when I mentioned the 3D loop in my previous post. I couldn't remember what they called it. That's interesting about what paramount was doing. I wish they had been useing those magnifiers years ago they wouldn't of had that crappy picture. If I remember right they also had scope prints of Friday Part 3 so they could be played at drive-ins.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-07-2001 04:29 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The magnifiers most often used came from stereovision and were made by century precision optics. THey came out with the first of the overunder films

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2001 04:47 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've only seen "Friday the 13th III" on video, which looked like it was done pan-and-scan from a scope print so it must have been from one of those drive-in prints. They just put out a widescreen DVD of this but blew it by not doing it in 3-D- I have a field-sequential 3-D system put out by a small company that had a few 3-D movies on tape; they couldn't get any of the really big titles but I have "The Stewardesses" (you haven't LIVED til you've seen this!) "Andy Warhol's Frankenstein", "Comin' At Ya" and the last nationally-released polarized 3-D movie I know of, the animated "Starchaser: The Legend of Orin". I quit buying these tapes when I got into laserdiscs though.
3-D REALLY needs to come back, and get used on something other than B-grade movies.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 01-08-2001 08:27 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
STEWARDESSES We're thinking about running it. Question is what would it be rated --X
NC-17--R ? Nobody here as seen it in 25 years.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: