Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film-Guard application

Author Topic: Film-Guard application
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2001 07:43 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok all, I've been using Film-Guard and the media cleaner for about 2.5 weeks now... Seems to be all that you guys said it would be, but I *still* have a question...

When the media pads are loaded and initially, I soak them well with FG.. I did this on the initial run last night of TRAFFIC to see if I could replicate the 'streaking' that some folks mentioned. I couldn't. The thing I *did* notice - by looking at the film (emulsion side is lamp side, right?) I could visibly see two streaks of FG on the film, but it didn't appear that the entire film had been coated. I checked the media pads and they were wet, not dripping wet, but wet. I never saw 'streaking' on the screen while screening the film. What I'm wondering is are the media pads actually wet enough? I made the mistake of pre-saoking a few and putting them in zip-lock bags when I first got them.. now I can't get them to 'load-up' on the take up spool. Nothing will hold them to the plastic core because they are so damn slippery..

BTW, the media cleaner works WONDERS on previews!! Also, on a recent trailer mishap, they allowed the add-on trailer (swapping trailers out just prior to show time) to be run from the floor. I know this is a MAJOR no-no, so when I saw what was happening, I got a fresh new cloth rag, sprayed it liberally with FG and ran the trailer up onto the platter... it was the cleanest trailer in the group even tho it had been ran up from the floor! *note* do not try this at home.....

:-)

|  IP: Logged

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2001 08:24 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've started using an 8 oz squeeze bottle with a very small spout that is shaped like a "J". The hole in the end is quite small. This allows me to reach into the Kelmar cleaner gizmo after the pads are already loaded. I just keep squeezing the bottle (slowly) untill the FG begins to drip off the pads. I refresh the pads before each run to make sure they're hosed enough. You can get the bottles from McMaster-Carr (Part #4527T41, $14.21 for a package of 6)and I bet from surgical supply places where they might be known as "irrigating bottles"

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-05-2001 09:03 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes you won't see the characteristic streaks when you load up for the first time. Rest assured, FilmGuard IS working. Just look at the pads after the 2nd or 3rd run. If you see the "dirt" that came off the film you know it's working. (Unless your media cleaner is out of whack. -- But that should be obvious.)

I usually soak the pads until the FilmGuard drips out when you give them a squeeze. Kinda' like when you have a sponge full of water. It's not hard to know when "enough is enough" after you get a little experience.

As far as loading up the pads:
Assuming you're not using Brads specially made media. I haven't had too much trouble. It just takes a little time and patience. If you have the long, double-length rolls cut them in half (Unless you have a long print) Roll them back up on their original cores. Put the roll on the TAKE-UP spindle and back-thread the cleaner. Then use the black "keyed core" to rewind the media to the starting position. Then get out your bottle of "stuff" and squirt them down as above.

As you get practice, this should only take a few minutes.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-05-2001 10:21 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The trick is to load the pads onto the cleaner dry and then soak down the supply rolls by holding the tip of the sprayer directly against the media. Spray until they are completely saturated and preferably a drop or two falls off.

It is normal for the application to appear to have streaks on the film. It works itself around with each pass and after awhile completely covers the film.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2001 02:34 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
This is what I've been doing. I simply apply the tip of the sprayer to the media while (supply side) and roll the media around until I have soaked the entire pad. I then wind it back so that it is snug and put the end cap back on the supply core.

BTW, I am using the Film Tech blue media pads and you should see the crap they pull off the film. Good Lord...

Anyway, I knew the *streaking* was common, but I thgought it would be more uniform in coverage. It seems to be doing it's thing just fine, but it never hurts to aks questions until you feel completely comfortable with what you're using..

------------------
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-05-2001 04:15 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of the streaking or appearance of uneven application depends upon the type of film stock and the takeup tension of the platter being used. In the end, it all works out nicely.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: