Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » ideal junkyard wars episode:scrapbuilt theatre projector

Author Topic: ideal junkyard wars episode:scrapbuilt theatre projector
Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2001 05:06 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just left an an idea in the TLC junkyard
wars discussion board for an episode on
building a scrapbuilt 35 millimeter
theatre projector. Any help or advice for
this idea?

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2001 06:02 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love Junkyard Wars. It is one of my favorate new shows. I love the Naked Chef, Iron Chef (on the Food Network) and the Lonely Planet series on the Travel Channel.

I think running film is too specialized. (There wouldn't be enought welding.) I would like to see them put on a moving picture show. They could use any medium, use any light source, any screen.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2001 06:12 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Junkyard wars would probably plant a geneva movement or two in the junkyard, along with a supply of sprockets. I can't believe how rigged the show is.

"Look Roger, we just found an Olds with a working short block that'll start first try!"

"Unh, Unh! (& more tooltime sounds)"

Not enough welding? Au contraire, what do you think would be used for the ARC light?

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2001 07:30 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>Junkyard wars would probably plant a geneva
>movement or two in the junkyard, along with
>a supply of sprockets. I can't believe how
>rigged the show is.

>"Look Roger, we just found an Olds with a
>working short block that'll start first
>try!"

I've watched a few segments of that show and have thought the same thing.

How would such an episode go?...

Let's see. The junk pile would need to have several old 35mm projectors with many good parts that just happened to be thrown away, maybe by a theatre company in bankruptcy that closed a nonprofitable location or two and walked away from the equipment. Maybe some boxes of projector lamps will be discovered with their contents unbroken, and maybe even some not quite empty bottles of FilmGuard too!

Oh, look, there are some metal 48 inch circular picnic tables that someone threw away! We can use the tops for platters! Oh, and I see some old glass Coke bottles and an old kid's magnifying glass. Maybe we can make some sort of lens conbination out of that.

Let's take that old steering wheel off that old junked car and take this duct tape and make us a lens turret. There are some old white bedsheets that will do for a screen, and some old curtains we can rig up for masking. We can probably tinker with that old table radio and make it work. I see a CD-to-FM radio converter that some kid threw away. We can use that to get out audio signal to the table radio. Just run it up real loud and put it behind the sheet.

Hey, look over there! There are a bunch of old rusty metal folding chairs that a local church threw away. We're almost ready to start charging admission!

All we lack now is a movie to show -- Hey, what's that over there? Eureka, it's that print of Star Wars Episode I that got stolen from that theatre back in 1999. It's all cut up, but we can scotch tape it together and use it!

Sorry. I got carried away.

Evans A Criswell
http://home.hiwaay.net/~criswell/theatre/

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2001 12:35 AM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are welcome to shoot it out at my shop / bone-yard!!!! I might even plant a few antiques!!!!

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2001 12:54 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, you didn't get carried away. I was looking for it, but you missed it. I'll say it for you.

"They'd have movable masking, unlike some Regal (cough) Cobb theatres."

I must say I enjoyed the rest of your epsode though.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2001 12:59 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! "That theatre" where Episode 1 got stolen is 20 minutes from here. I don't know the people there, but just thought I'd mention it .

Rory Burke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2001 11:05 AM      Profile for Rory Burke   Email Rory Burke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AS and Theater projectionist, Technician, Installer, etc.....I always kinda thought that a lot of the work we allready do in our field is very much so like the junk yard war's mentality of having to improvise or reinvent the wheel. There have been a countless number of times that I can think of where parts were scrapped or canabalized or retrofitted in much the same rogue, McGiver way that is done on that show.

Rory

Tom Sauter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2001 02:49 PM      Profile for Tom Sauter   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Sauter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh look! This car battery and pile of various resistors will make a nice exciter supply!

(I've never had to do that )

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2001 03:40 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry said:

>No, you didn't get carried away. I was looking for it, but you missed it. I'll say it for you.

>"They'd have movable masking, unlike some Regal (cough) Cobb theatres."

Um, I figured you might cloud up and rain all over the place if I put that in there, so I didn't.

>I must say I enjoyed the rest of your epsode though.

So, you enjoyed all of my episode except for the punch line that I didn't put in there? It's funny how that line did its job, even though I omitted it.

Sorry if my tone is a little different than usual. I just got dismissed from jury duty this afternoon.

I'd rather attempt to assemble a projector from junk parts any day than have jury duty in my county.

Evans

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: