Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Have a log for DD error rate

Author Topic: Have a log for DD error rate
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2000 05:55 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Everyone.

Since a have little problems with one projector that is scratching the DD data, I would like to record the DD error rate throught a PC connected to the serial port and have a comparison some weeks later.
2 questions:
1. Can I leave my Notebook connected to the CP500 serial data for all the show (I will disable all the power saver)?
2. Is there any way to save the entire log? The Help of DRAS10 says 'no'...

Thanks for your help

Bye!

|  IP: Logged

Rory Burke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2000 03:27 AM      Profile for Rory Burke   Email Rory Burke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio....

I could be mistaken but Dolby also has another quality control program <not DRAS10> that serves the exact purpose in which you are inquiring about...perhaps some other film-techer out there might have knowledge of the name and how to obtain the program...but if I recall correctly... it should be what you are looking for. As far as leaving the laptop tracking your error correction rate for the duration of the feature? Yes!!
Recording the log of the Er rating? No.

I do believe that QC program which looks and works much like Dras-10 should be able to keep a log for you as well....Another film-techie will have to confirm that though...
Any Dolby Engineers or THX techs reading this should know what I'm talking about as well and could offer the missing info.

Rory

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-27-2000 04:43 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sony has a very nice "QC" program for the SDDS format which can be saved and printed out (quite nice!), but I personally don't know of any QC program for SRD. I'd certainly be interested.

Torben Simonsen
Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2000 07:07 AM      Profile for Torben Simonsen   Author's Homepage   Email Torben Simonsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is indeed a QC program for SRD. It looks a lot like DRAS-10, but it has some additional features including logging of all data for a reel (I don't remember if you are able to log an entire print in one go).

Dolby gives this QC program to the labs to enable them to check the prints. For some reason I don't think they like to give it to cinema techs, but you might ask them.

-- Torben.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2000 05:53 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone.

Torben, Who can I contact at Dolby labs??

Bye
Antonio

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2000 06:42 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio, you wnat to contact Lonny Jennings at Dolby. His email address couldn't be simpler:

LJ@dolby.com

Tell him "Large" sent you.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-27-2000 07:02 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Dolby QC program's installation will modify the Dos AutoExec.bat file to make it a purepose only machine and is only provided with a dedicated machine supplied by Dolby

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2000 05:43 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gordon.

I suppose that Dolby sells old 386 Dolby Marked QC PC at 12.000$ each...

However, I've tried to connect my Notebook to the CP500 but from DRAS10 I have an error message saying that DRAS cannot read the CP model from query (sorry, I didn't write down the exact message). I note that the COM1 is set on 115200 baud. I've tried to set it to 38400 but the time when I had the MS-DOS 5 manual on my desk is gone...

Do you think that set the COM1 to 34800 can solve the problem?

Thanks!

Antonio

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-28-2000 06:30 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio: I actually _do_ have assorted DOS manuals around here and I dug one up (IBM PC-DOS 2.10, if anyone cares...!). On page 2-105, it gives the syntax for the MODE command. Try something like:

MODE COM1:384,N,8,1,P

This should set COM1: to 38400 baud, no parity, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit. In DOS 5.0 and higher (including Win9x and WinNT), you can do "mode /?" from the command line to get the abbreviated syntax for the command.

(note that old hardware usually has limits on the speed of the serial ports anyway, usually at 38400 or 19200 baud, for really old hardware....and I count myself as an expert in old hardware, as I don't personally own any piece of computer equipment that was made after 1996 or so, with the exception of a nearly-new HP Laserjet, but that probably doesn't count...)

Ken Jacquart
Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2000 09:19 PM      Profile for Ken Jacquart   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Jacquart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For your information...

We have newer reader alignment software which is essentially the same as DRAS10, but is a Windows program and does allow data logging. I've had a beta copy for awhile and use it for both CP650 and DA20 / CP500D. I'll check with the 'powers that be' after our Holiday break and see if I can start feeding this software to the field.

ken

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2000 10:46 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,
Thanks for the info. I've tried thousand of time MODE COM1: BAUD=38400 (like explained with Mode/?)...

Ken,
I will be your first beta tester!

Antonio

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-07-2001 02:02 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken anything on isueing the windows version?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: