Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Anybody heard of "Digital Horizon"?

Author Topic: Anybody heard of "Digital Horizon"?
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-25-2000 08:22 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Girlfriend in Erie just told me that her museum is building a new facility. It's a grand, 20 million dollar building. They are putting in a theatre and they will be installing a system called "Digital Horizon". (At least that's what she remembers it being called.)

They say that it's the latest and greatest new thing. I've never heard of it before. I was wondering if anybody else had.

The funny thing is that they say that there's little to no programming for the system... at least now. They are saying that since the building is PLANED to open in a few years, (5 to be exact), there will be time for program material to be developed.

It all sounds like a crock of crap to me... I told her that they should at least have the capability to run 35mm along side. Of course, they aren't going to listen to me... I'm just a peon-film-engineer Those muckety-mucks and their bean counters all know MUCH more than me... right?

If they ask me, they are buying a "white elephant". What do you guys think?

|  IP: Logged

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2000 10:19 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think it might be a bit tough selling the idea to a lending institution. Let's see... A twenty million dollar loan to build for something that doesn't yet exist. With no track record, and no guarantee that it will ever exist. No way to project income. No bottom line costs. No backup system, should the supposed system fail to materialize and no way to recoup losses.
Build it and it will materialize? I guess I'm a little to conservative for that to fly. Maybe they have a private investor???
Just my opinion

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-26-2000 05:36 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that is how IMAX got started
the other note
They should envision multi platform programming and forget about 35mm get a combo 35/70 as there is far more special venue material in 70
get a Westrex (christie epic) or Cinema Products unit that can do multi formats

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-26-2000 07:58 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just did a "Sherlock" search on the keywords "digital horizon" and got a site of a company called Digital Horizon. They sell desktop video conferencing equipment. Maybe that's what they're installing? Sounds pretty hokey to me!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: