Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Eprad's website finally does something!

Author Topic: Eprad's website finally does something!
Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2000 09:13 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just checked their website today and it finally does something more than just say coming soon. Now it actually has a "log-in" button.
http://www.eprad.com

|  IP: Logged

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2000 11:03 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

There equipment is old and outdated, why shouldn't theier website be as well?
<BEG> ;-)

------------------
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2000 11:27 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eprad is the actual manufacturer of the automations and dimmers for Strong.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2000 12:44 AM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll add to Ken's post...Eprad was the first to introduce 'computerized' automation of a good and dependable design! The Eprad
ULTIMATION is still the number one preferred unit worldwide! They build OEM for several other companies too! And by virtue of quality, there is still a lot of 30-40 year old EPRAD equipment out there still working great! Happy holidays!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-23-2000 08:11 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes there are still many Eprad classics out there
Starlets
StarScopes
Cooperators
Universal Lamphouses.....

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-23-2000 08:34 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we had a "Starlet", and I assure you, it was neither good nor dependable. Over the 3 years we had it, we replaced most of the components with other equipment. The first thing to go was the processor; the last was the exciter supply (which was actually not too bad.) Those stupid DC coupled amplifiers smoked a few voice coils until I just stuck a cap in there.

We kept the yellow-painted 19" rack. I put rollers on it, and we used it to hold and stack unpopped bags of corn. We got another 15 years of use as a popcorn-bag-mover, so I guess it served a good purpose after all.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-23-2000 09:31 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, John. A theater we acquired a long time ago (it is closed now) had an Eprad StarBelch in it. Biggest problem we had was the fader did not last very long, and they were expensive items. When they were rotated, there was enough noise generated that it did blow one speaker. The second one I put in lasted 6 months.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-23-2000 01:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with John. The Ultimation is still one of the finest, if not the finest, automation you can buy. The Strong units by Eprad are in the same catagory. I installed units 11, And 12 way back in the early 80's before the product was even available off the shelf and both still function flawlessly to this day. Many do not realize that Eprad is owned by T.L.Industries and has been for over two decades. T.L. builds most of the computers that control the robotic assembley lines in Detroit and other large auto assembly plants. Computers that can survive in that hostile enviroment have to be robust and crash proof. Thats exactly what the Ultimations have been for me......crash proof and super reliable.
Mark @ GTS

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2000 08:05 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Eprad have produced a diverse range of cinema and drive-in products over the years. Whilst their cinema glory years were the 1970's the products have been very reliable and continue to perform all over the world.

The Starlet was never a match for the CP50 but then again you saved big dollars selecting the Eprad product and in the late 1970's/early 1980's times were tough for many cinemas.

I have had experience and would recommend the following Eprad products based on original new cost and subsequent super low used price:

Starlet - simulated stereo on a budget.

Starscope - getting better.

Super Starscope - 70mm six track on this unit sounded fine to me before the CP200 came along.

Dbl MUT - not as flexible as a platter, but inovative and still used widely today.

Junction boxes - Either Glo-tops or Alu-tops these units with a tough plastic base ensured you rarely had to drill out screws as compared to other brands of drive-in junction boxes. The Glo-tops were fantastic at night.

Drive-in speakers - The Eprads I knew had four moulded square legs on the front face so when it hit the asphalt the grill, face and volume pot were not damaged.

On a final note, Eprad still support the Starlet and Starscope, try ordering parts for a CP50 or CP100/200 from Dolby!

David

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: