Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What is "playable?"

Author Topic: What is "playable?"
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-22-2000 12:36 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to contact TES this week for four replacement reels for 102 Dalmatians. One of the questions the rep asked me was, "Is the print playable?"

I said no it is not, because one of the reels in question (#6) had bad lab work.... dark blotchy areas, the picture even completely faded to black at a couple of spots during the ending of the movie, so to me that is not acceptable. Also the other three reels all had perf damage and damaged (crumpled) footage in spots.

But this led me to think...

What is their definition of playable? Is it "it will run thru the projector without jamming?" or more like "it looks perfect in nearly every way" or something between?
And, does "non-playable" make them handle the replacements on more of a priority basis?

Actually I was quite impressed with the service this time... film arrived on Wednesday, I put it together Wed. nite, called for the replacements about 11:00 PM and had them by 4:00 the next day.

The rep also asked me "did you receive the print damaged?" I've never been asked this before. Maybe they are starting to think about going back to the theatre where the print was last? Hmmmmmmmm....

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-22-2000 03:13 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I asked a similar question awhile ago (see topic: "Measuring Lab Quality (for release prints") but didn't get the kind of answer I was hoping for. To be fair, I'm not sure myself what would be reasonable. One theater might think that a single dust speck is unacceptable, while another theater will run an entire platter-scratched print, and think it's OK.

I'm actually glad a rep ask if the print was damaged; sounds like they are at least trying to narrow down who damaged it.

Film exchanges probably don't want to get into "who damaged this print" kind of arguments. Everyone who had it will say; "Not me!" To find out will cost more money than it's worth- then they have to try and actually get the replacement cost.

I'm guessing that if a theater has a reputation for damaging prints, (and I bet the film exchanges DO have some idea of who those places are) they will just "forget" to send a replacement reel or print, until someone really screams about it.

I thought a certification course (like the Dolby/SDDS/DTS course) for projectionists would be a good thing. That way, if a certified projectionist called about a replacement reel, the lab/exchange would know that the projectionist knew *something* about what he was talking about.

But, that would be making the job of a projectionist more professional, and most owners don't want to pay for a professional.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2000 04:09 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, it seem quite of ironic that if it were 'playable' then you wouldn't be calling to begin with! I would think that the exhibitor is the final say of whether or not a print is 'playable'! Gald they responded with a replacement! I remember when I had a 'new'
print of Schindler's list arrive, and upon hand inspection, I found a spot where the perforations went off the film serpentime! then disappeared completely for about 14"
thus if it would have been projected, you
know what would have happened! When I called TES, they said that was 'impossible' I still have the piece of film! Happy holidays!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-22-2000 05:29 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scan it and post it if you can. I'd like to see that.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: