Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » jumpy picture

Author Topic: jumpy picture
Frank Rapisardi
Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2000 05:39 PM      Profile for Frank Rapisardi   Email Frank Rapisardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today I ran my oldish 16mm Bell&Howell Autoload Filmosound projector. The film was in great shape;but the picture was a bit jumpy.I ran a second feature and you guessed it ;same thing.The first feature was two reels;both jumpy.The second feature was three reels ;all three jumpy. I checked carefully and could find nothing wrong with the film or the projector.The sound was fine;so I was not losing loops.Anyone have any ideas. Bell&Howell parts are getting hard to find. If anyone has any ideas;thank you.(P.S. The picture looked like 35mm when projected with a problamatic shutter!)

------------------

|  IP: Logged

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2000 10:03 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the film trap pressure pads and see if they are stuck in a position that is not allowing enough tension on the film. If the projector has been stored a long while with the trap door closed, these pads will stick against the front piece and will not press against the film properly. Also look for an obstruction in the trap door that may be keeping it slightly open. (It could probably use a good cleaning!) Happy holidays!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-21-2000 10:10 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the loop guides touching the film? Misaligned loop guides are a common problem with autoload (auto-shred) B&H machines.

Someone here (Ken Layton, I think) has the address and phone number for the current dealer for B&H parts. They're still available new (or new old stock) if you don't have a junker projector to disassemble.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-21-2000 10:39 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the shuttle might be worn out. Ken Layton, what do you think?

Scott - I have an old Filmosound 500 without the case and amplifier. Are those shuttle kits used in that machine the same as the auto-shred uses? I might consider letting that thing go, as I have no need for it any more. It is in good condition.

P.S. - I just talked to Ken, he thinks they are.

Frank, if it does turn out to be a worn shuttle, I can tell you this much - they are very hard to work on. I put a new kit in an old Bell & Howell, and I don't think I would do it again. When I just spoke to Ken on the telephone, he mentioned it takes about 3 hours. It took me the better part of four hours, since it was the first one. The kits were not too expensive when I did one in 1972, but I can imagine they are quite pricey today. I wish you luck. Have a good holiday season

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2000 11:09 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The company that bought out all the Bell & Howell parts is:
KMR ELECTRONICS
2413 South Broadway
Santa Ana, Calif. 92707
(714) 979-0400
fax: 714-668-9866

They also carry parts for many other manufacturers of 16mm projectors, too.

Tom Sauter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2000 08:44 AM      Profile for Tom Sauter   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Sauter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could be loose claw arms, pressure plate misaligned, or incorrect claw pitch/protrusion.

I've found many jumpy image problems on B&H and Eiki's to lie in the claw protrusion and stroke. As Paul mentioned, these operations take lots of time and patience.

Who's interested in 16mm service manuals on film-tech? I have the whole line of Eiki and several B&H. I'll start scanning if there's enough interest.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: