Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Manual for studio version of V5?

Author Topic: Manual for studio version of V5?
John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-20-2000 08:47 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have a copy of the manual for the studio version of a Cinemecanninca V5? (This version has a driven sprocket and extra rollers after the intermittent, and three rollers just before the sound drum. I believe the reason for the added parts is it enables the film to run through reversed.)

Anyway, if someone has a copy, please let me know... thanks!

|  IP: Logged

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2000 11:53 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you email me a picture with details of the mechanism? Or post it here? I may have information on it, however I think it may be a studio revision or a one of a kind job...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-21-2000 06:45 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lord help us all.......a studio version????
What'll we see next.
Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-22-2000 06:19 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What next I live in fear of the day they build the Vic5 35/70 machine
Of course there is the imfamous 15 perf 70 vic 8 on steroids on its side

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-22-2000 11:52 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only got a short glance at this studio V5. I'm quite sure it was "factory-made"; there would just be too much work for a "one-off."

I may have to run them in the future, which is why I'd like to get a manual.

I can draw a sketch if anyone is really interested, but it would have to be from memory, so I'm sure it won't be exactly right. I don't have access to the booth, and didn't even think about bringing a camera.

I generally like the V5s, 8s, and 9s. But I when I saw this studio V5, I didn't care for it. It looks a bit tricky to thread. Besides the extra sprocket, there are 6-7 extra rollers; one on a spring to "re-create" the loop just after the intermittent. I'm pretty sure all these extra parts are just to enable it to go backwards. It also has 2 pieces with half-moon-shaped "shoes" milled in it that hold the film against the intermittent sprocket. It seemed that it would have been easier to just design a soundhead that puts tension on the film- like a Century or Simplex- and abandon the "tension-less" design.

Another interesting thing I never saw before: it had a remote film gate tension adjusting motor.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-23-2000 01:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, The half moon shoes and gate tensioning device are for reverse operation. Without these shoes, and without the tension relieved on the gate the film would simply buckle going back into the gate on reverse. Most American made foreword/reverse machines are also built this way. I was told that these same machines are used for running at Cannes Film Festival. Personally I think thats hard to believe. Personally I would never trust one foot of Dailies film on any Cinemeccanicca, ever.
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: