Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » UA/Beaucatcher Cinema in trouble

Author Topic: UA/Beaucatcher Cinema in trouble
Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2000 04:50 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Local TV station WLOS-TV reported tonight that the parking deck owned by the Beaucatcher Cinema has been found to be unsafe by city building inspectors. The city says fix it or tear it down.

So far, there has been no comment from UA. I believe that the deck is closed.

EDITED

[ 09-12-2005, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: Bruce McGee ]

|  IP: Logged

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2002 09:09 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UPDATE: An item in the local paper on 11/01/02, or so, said that the Regal Theatre company in Knoxville, TN, has decided not to do anything about the deteriorating parking deck at this theatre other than fencing it off. The city and the state have both examined it and found that it is in serious condition. (I've been there, and have seen the falling sheets of concrete everywhere.) There are businesses UNDER one end of this deck. (There is a Kmart shopping center behind this theatre...) They are clearly worried that something awful might happen. The city has installed equipment on the deck that (might) let them know when some part of the support structure decides to fail. By then, it may be too late.

When UA flopped, and Regal got them, didn't Regal assume the buildings and the out-parcels that UA had built? I think that Regal will take the deck down eventually.

[ 09-12-2005, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: Bruce McGee ]

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2002 02:23 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce: I have no knowledge of the building, but parking decks are a notorious problem in any climate where you get a freeze/thaw cycle. Unless maintained, cracks develop in the concrete, water seeps in and hits the rebar, the rebar expands exponentially when it rusts, and ultimately it literally explodes the concrete outward. Real bad news, and the common use of ice melting salts only speeds the process.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2002 02:39 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jeff.

We do have some bad weather here, and they do use salt. Also, this theatre was built in the mid 1970's.

I kinda knew that nothing would be done about it. Notice the length of time between my original posts.

Bruce

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2002 10:19 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Bruce..

Could you send me some pictures of that theatre and the parking deack? I'd be interested in seeing how a deck is set up at a theatre...

BTW, I guess your area is in peak fall colors this week, huh?
Wish I could have gone up to Fontana this past weekend while I was off, but the S.O. had to work...

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2002 08:24 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason: Cant really post images, but I'll try to explain.

Asheville is in the mountains. The Beaucatcher Cinema is built on the top of a rise. The Kmart and all the other stores are built on graded land about 30 feet below the grade of the theatre. The deck is actually a single level affair that simply gave the theatre badly needed parking space in an area where ground parking would be difficult. The deck is built on a large outcropping of rocks. The rise that the cinema sits on is close to the same elevation as the large Asheville Mall that sits just across the highway.

I never thought that they would build a theatre there, but they did.
In the early 90's the state changed the way all the roads in this area connected so that when exiting interstate 240 at the mall, there are less bottlenecking problems. This caused the road running by the theatre to be made more wide. They had already removed a Hardees restaurant that was blocking the road route, so they gained some parking.

If I can do the images, I will put them here.

The leaves are great here. Now, it's time for all good leaf lookers to go back to wherever they came from. I've seen some real near-miss accidents caused by tourists not paying attention. Actually saw a 1994 Corvette get side-swiped today when a car with an out-of-state tag changed lanes without looking. I was a witness. The person in the car kept insisting that the Corvette just appeared out of nowhere.

Amazing how much damage can happen to a beautiful car so fast.

Here's the funny part: The police asked me if my car was involved in the accident. It was not, but others here have commented that it looks like a "rolling wreck" just waiting to happen!

[ 09-12-2005, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: Bruce McGee ]

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2002 07:15 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine works in the construction dept at Regal Cinemas. He assures me that this problem is being squared away.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: