Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ultramittant Now Shop Servicable`

Author Topic: Ultramittant Now Shop Servicable`
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-20-2000 11:39 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those that may be interested GTS can now overhaul and update your Christie Ultramittent to like new current factory specs. This includes replacing the inner Star and Cam ball bearings with massive bronze bushings for greater reliability.

We have all parts in stock here at GTS for those that may need rush service. Normal turnaround time is 48 hours. Foreign inquires gladly accepted.
Mark @ GTS www.getgts.com
mark@getgts.com

|  IP: Logged

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2000 11:55 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark, what are you using for replacement lubricant? I hope it is something of a lesser viscosity than what is originally supplied!
Especially with bushings in place of ball bearings!!! I have a large stock of original 'Motiograph' Intermittent lube if you need any! Happy holidays!!!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-21-2000 06:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, I can't believe that you don't know whats in there...........
Lets have the first guess........
No, its not Motiograph lube thats for sure. The oil spirals in the bushings are too small for that stuff to flow properly.
Guess again?????????
One Hint,
Its available off the shelf from better theater supply dealers, and it won't work in Motiograph movements.
Happy Holidays to you too!!
Mark

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2000 09:59 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mark! What ever it is (ha ha ha!) It is not working well! We just replaced an 'ultramittent' in Ketchum ID two days ago, (Had flat cam pin, noisy) The replacement movement siezed up last night with three shows under it's belt! I would think it's time for capella "A' again! See ya!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-21-2000 10:13 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of curiousity--what does Christie want customers to do with dead "Ultramittent" movements? Are they essentialy disposable, or were they designed to be rebuilt?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-21-2000 10:16 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just HAVE to hazard a guess... could it be....

FILM GUARD?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-21-2000 11:09 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, the first time I saw an Ultramittant when they first came out was in a brochure. It looked like a modified Super Simplex Movement. I have never run a Christie projector, and never worked on one. What Christie is using now for a movement does not sound like it is very good, from what I read and hear.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-21-2000 11:22 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, I remember an old union projectionist in the Oakland Local when I was running relief operator in 1972 and 1973. I forgot his name, but he mixed Capella "A" with Pyrol or something like that, and was using it for years in the E-7's in his booth. The soundheads were 9030's if I recall, and the run-down times on those E-7's were 32 seconds and 33 seconds respectively. He never had any trouble with things wearing out. You could almost roll the machines forward by a feather touch on the flywheel. It sounds like Christie got away from the capella oil. I wonder why?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-22-2000 07:15 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm Mark...perhaps a lubricant that is no longer available directly from the manufacturer but is available through a parts manufacturer/distributor in Chicago?

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-22-2000 08:51 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Steve,
You're right! Its LaVezzi Oil thats used in the Ultramittant. Otherwise known by those in the know as magic oil.

Paul,
Yes, the Ultramittant is basically a modified, streamlined, Super Simplex movement and early Christies actually used a Super Simplex Movement. The first LaVezzi Ultramittant was all ball bearing. The inner ball bearings have now been eliminated and replaced with bronze bushings as Motiograph did with the AA movement. The real problem with with the ultramittant is that the outer cam bearing collects condensation(varies in different parts of the country)and eventually fails. This could easily be fixed by moving the cam seal to where the ball bearing is and placing the bearing just on the inside of the seal. The Ballantyne movement is built this way. With this modification the Ultramittant would last allot longer as the bearing would be in the oil. The other option is to replace it with a Barden hi-spec bearing. I have done this a few times in past years and they are all still running.

Scott, I would be interested in buying two or three from you.

John,
You should get your Ultramittants rebuilt by us. Then you won't have a worry. They also come with a 1 year warranty.

Mark @ GTS

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2000 04:02 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark this one came from Christie!!!I am not sure who is sub contracting their rebuilds....Happy holidays!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: