Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Looking for some ORC manuals (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Looking for some ORC manuals
Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-17-2000 07:28 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have manuals for the ORC RPS-2500 lamphouse and power supply? Couldn't find any listings for this model in the "Manuals" section. If anyone would be willing to sell a copy, please contact me off-list.

BTW I will be working on a sick 2500 power supply shortly--it shut itself down and won't re-strike. Noticed that the 110V cooling fan wasn't running, yet the fan motor itself is OK (verified by disconnecting the motor leads from the terminal strip and powering the motor externally. Don't want to TS any further without some documentation. Any ORC TS tips or pointers would be most appreciated.

TIA for any assistance!

Paul

|  IP: Logged

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2000 08:30 PM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul; you might call our Strong International office for some assistance. Our tech people know that supply fairly well and we may have copies that we can get you. Brad -- that goes for you too, if we have them...

I would tend to think this is something fairly simple. Sounds like something in interlock circuirty went bad or is open, and I think that fan runs only when the supply tries to turn on.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-17-2000 09:08 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might have a manual on the RPS-2500 manual. If I do, I can run off a copy for you if Pat from Strong International does not have one. Pat Moore is more than likely to be correct on his assessment. I have known him for 17 years now, and he knows what he is talking about. Can you hear the main contactor close in the power supply? If not, something shut it down. Could be your air flow interlock, lamphouse cover interlock, or, if you have a snout interlock, check that, too. By the way, check those fuses in the power supply, one could have blown. Also check to see if you have your 208 or 240 getting to the power supply.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-18-2000 01:52 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
We're always happy to host manuals. If anyone has anything not already in the archives here, please drop me a line. I can work from an existing pdf scan or from a single sided photocopy to do the conversion to pdf format here.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2000 07:47 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the topic of ORC manuals....

If anyone happens to have a manual for a 4kw ORC lamphouse, I'm in the need for one as well.

Here's my equipment info:

Lamphouse:
ORC "Orcon Ultra-High Performance Xenon Projector Lamphouse" - Model # 4000
S/N = 40125-1791

Rectifier:
ORC Cine-X35
Model RPS-X60
S/N = 71-569287

If anyone happens to have any information on either of these units, I'd appreciate it.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-18-2000 05:58 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I was in error when I said I thought I had a manual for that beast. I don't. But, I did trip over two of those power supplies just like you have when I walking through the "out of service" room.

Paul Mayer

- posted 12-18-2000 07:29 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for the pointers. I'll give Strong a call on my lunch break tomorrow.

Yeah, I checked all of the easy stuff first and was able to verify good fuses and mains feeds. Next time I'm in the shop I'll try listening for the contactor. When I get the manual(s) it'll be reading time.

BTW, do any of you have recommendations on who to go to (in SoCal) for buying xenon bulbs? So far, the card shows 1400 hours on the #1 lamp and I haven't found the card yet for the #2. I don't have any spares so it looks like I'll be needing at least a pair of Osram XBO 1600W HSCOFR's (the installed ones are HSOFR's).

Oh, one last Q. Does anyone sell just the protective packaging for these bulbs? I haven't been able to find any of the packaging for the presently installed ones.

Thanks again for your answers!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-18-2000 09:02 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, if your contactor closes, I think you will find all your interlocks in the lamp are ok. The contactor has to close before the cooling fan starts, unless someone wired it differently. If the contactor does close, there may be a problem downstream, such as a burned wire, etc. There is nothing that I know of (including the regulator bank with those extremely expensive power transistors) in that power supply that will prevent that contactor from closing, other than the selnoid of the contactor itself, defective wiring to the selonoid, or the external circuits such as your interlock/automation loop. Did you actually check all three fuses with an ohm meter? Sometimes they look good, but in fact, they are not. I would be leery of that big fuse. The fuse element(s) may have disconnected itself from the end cap, and you might not see it. Had this happen to me more than once.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-18-2000 09:06 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, I tried to download the manual, "Cinemecannica V5 regular maintenance and special maintenance" but get a, "URL not found error."

Brad, any chance you could fix that next time you're in "maintaince mood mode?"

No rush, though.....

Paul Mayer

- posted 12-18-2000 10:13 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, I've had that happen to me too, so I pulled all the fuses and checked 'em with the Fluke. Thanks for the info on the contactor and the interlocks--it'll give me a little more to go on when I get back to the shop (probably not until the weekend). And hopefully I'll have some manuals to work with by then as well.

Cheers!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-18-2000 10:29 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The link to the V5 manual is fixed. Sometimes I can be a little lysdexic when I type those file names in.

Paul Mayer

- posted 12-20-2000 06:40 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well they tried, but it looks like Strong Int'l doesn't have any copies of those manuals. So I'll ask again. If anyone would be willing to sell me a copy of the manuals for the ORC RPS-2500 lamphouse and power supply, please contact me at
pmayer@panamsat.com

I'll pay good money! Really! TIA!

Paul
Who is now also nursing a sick Apex DVD machine that plays s-video only in glorious B&W.
Which is fine for "Dr. Strangelove", not so good for Studio Ghibli anime.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-20-2000 08:34 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, check your email. I provided you with a company name and phone number that has one. The book is 3/8 of an inch thick, but he can fax/pdf (or whatever) critical pages you need to troubleshoot the thing.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2000 11:45 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have manuals for most all of the ORC stuff if you don't get what you need from the previous post, email me, I will be glad to foto-copy what you need and mail it too you!
Happy holidays! John

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-21-2000 06:40 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I was incorrect when I said "There is nothing that I know of (including the regulator bank with those extremely expensive power transistors) in that power supply that will prevent that contactor from closing, other than the selnoid of the contactor itself..." There is! It is a temperature sensing device in series with a "W" with a circle around it, and I presume it is the main contactor. With the cannon plug disconnected, check and see if you have a resistance between TB-2 Terminal 1 and TB-2 Terminal 2. If you have an open circuit, the temperature device may be open. I have a BIG jpeg I'll send to you via email.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: