Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » FILM CHAT NOW 2:45 est

Author Topic: FILM CHAT NOW 2:45 est
Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2000 12:45 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
anyone wanna filmchat?

------------------
I love to smoke I smoke seventhousand packs a day and I'm never F*&ing quittin!-- Denis Leary

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-16-2000 11:02 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about saturday night at 915pm est

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-16-2000 01:22 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a quick note to chime in here, everyone please do not start up threads announcing that you are in the chat room and waiting. I delete TONS of these and it is starting to get annoying and if I don't, will clog up the archives. If you want to start a thread that will be at least several hours ahead of time (Mr. Guttag does this a lot) then that is fine, but please let's not create any more "chat now" posts.

I have been looking around for some time now for a better chat program that will also put up a flag when someone is waiting. Don't hold your breath for this to come real soon, but sooner or later I will find a way to implement it.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-16-2000 11:14 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad makes a good point(s).

I have had some rather sucessful chats (in the number of people that turn out). The key is to post far enough in advance in the day so that those folks that browse the board all day long will know when the chat will occur.

A "Chat Now" almost never works since I think it is rare that there are several people browsing the board at the same time (just look at the posts and the spacing of them).

I have also noticed that film chats do better later in the evening (after 10:00pm Eastern time).

my 2¢

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2000 11:36 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry! but we did get four people!

------------------
I love to smoke I smoke seventhousand packs a day and I'm never F*&ing quittin!-- Denis Leary

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-16-2000 11:37 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just spitballing, here...

If we kept reusing the same "Film Chat" thread, whenever somebody posted a message that topic would float to the top of the forum display and everybody would see it.

I have to agree 1,000,000 topics on the same thing is a waste.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-16-2000 11:39 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Sean....that is more than I ever got on an instachat!

Steve

------------------

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2000 11:54 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well dont congratulate me yet I was already talking to them on AOL and we decided to go to the chat!

------------------

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-17-2000 07:45 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Randy has the best solution here. Let's just continue to use this thread and post a "reply" whenever someone is trying to set up a chat. Let's just please try and give it at least 2 hours advance notice for everyone's benefit.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-17-2000 10:24 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, if this is to be the instachat thread, then please delete the time in the title.

For planned chats, I'd prefer a separate thread (ultimately deleatable or mergable) so that a specific date/time can be placed in the title so others know about the upcoming chat.

Steve

------------------

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-18-2000 01:45 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't edit thread titles. The next time someone wants to try an "Insta-chat", they can just start a new thread and we will keep using that one. For "Scheduled chats", just start a fresh one that we can continue using and people can click on it to see the next time you (or someone else) wants to set one up.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: