Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » oil change (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: oil change
William Dickson
Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2000 03:00 PM      Profile for William Dickson   Email William Dickson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have yet another question. Can someone please walk me through all the steps for changing oil in a Simplex 35? I know I need to do it but the manual doesn't really explain how to. Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-23-2000 03:32 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What model? I'm assuming you have either a PR-2000 (AKA: "Millennium") or a PR-1050. The only real differences are where the oil fillers are and stuff like that. Mostly, they are identical inside where it counts.

There's not much to it, really. All you have to do is drain out the old and refill it with new. If you have been keeping up with your other maintainence that's about it. If you haven't then I suggest you give the projector a good going-over.... Otherwise all you should have to do is give it an extra-good cleaneing, check the belts and replace them if you have to. Give it a "function check" and you're done.

If you want to you can take the back off and clean out the oil sump and strainer by hand. If you've been keeping up on maintanence that's not too critical.

Funny... as easy as it is to do this stuff, it's the least kept up part of the projector in a lot of booths. Hell, I'm lucky to even find oil in HALF the projectors I look at!

William Dickson
Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2000 09:36 PM      Profile for William Dickson   Email William Dickson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I drain the oil, do I just stick a bucket or something under the plug until it stops draining? After that can I just take the oil to a waste disposal site to get rid of it? I'm thinking of a quickie lube or something of the sort?

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2000 09:47 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the drivein, I just dump the old oil on the ground.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-23-2000 11:02 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh... You're gonna hear about that, Ken! Just because it *came* from the ground, doesn't mean it's supposed to go *back* ......

My suggestion is to simply save it up in a 4-5 gallon container. (That's a lotta Simplex oil changes. I don't know how many, but a guess would be about 40.) When the container gets full, then take it to a local gas station, etc. and have them dispose of it properly. In my town, the local fire dept. will set up a collection once a month where you can drop it off to them. Maybe there's something like that in your town.

Mark the container, so no one thinks it's "good" oil, and uses it again.

A guy I know used to dump his old car oil into his oil tank for the furnace. He would pour in a quart, wait a few days, pour in another, etc. He said that it would clog the nozzle if 5 quarts tried to go through at once, but with only a quart every few days, it was OK.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2000 07:43 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As someone who worked on oil furnaces for many years, I bet the guy that put small amounts of motor oil in the furnace had a nice smoky flame when the furnace ran, and had to have the heat exchanger wire-brushed out more often than someone that only used #2 oil.

As someone who changes the oil on his vehicles every 2-3000 miles, I dont understand why the projector oil cant be changed with some regularity. I'm a stickler for correct oil levels in everything that I own.

(The Holmes uses a grease pack, and is checked far more often than the manual suggests)

My big RCA TP-66 Telecine projector is the only one that I own that needs an oil change now and then. The oil is absolutely level with the mark on the sight-glass before I begin using it. I learned this after the TV station bought a new "66" in 1980, their first, and never checked the oil levels after the tech set it up at the delivery time. They had to replace the intermittent suddenly less than 6 months after the purchase, and I remember the unit costing around 12,000 bucks!

My "66" pair are from the late '60's, had regular maintenance, and are still running perfectly after many thousand hours of running time.

My uncle Bill Broome, got me started doing proper maintenance on my mechanical toys. Oil in the cars is never allowed to get very dark before I change it. Bill is now in his 90's and his 1960's truck purrs with over 250,000 miles on the original engine.

Please remember my Uncle Bill. He is battling cancer now.

How often do Century and Simplex (for example) recommend the oil changes? This should be logged the way xenon lamp changes are done.

William Dickson
Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2000 12:53 PM      Profile for William Dickson   Email William Dickson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The manual for our projectors (Simplex 1040's) says to change oil annually. I think that's not oftern enough and will try to do it every 6 months

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2000 04:07 PM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, every six months is recommended on a Simplex and yeah, just drain the oil out through that little stem on the front, beneath the lenses, until it stops coming out (it will drip for quite some time). Then, you're supposed to take the gear cover off, the back cover of the projector with the window in it. Wipe out all the excess oil and grit from all the gearing and compartment walls, don't forget to also clean the cover / window and the rubber gasket seal and the frame of the projector where the seal will contact it. Be sure not to use something that's going to leave little pieces of itself in the gearing like paper towels or something. A good grease rag that doesn't shed fibers is a good choice. Now, you have to find the oil filter and remove and clean it. It's located in slightly different places depending on the model, check your manual. On my projectors, it's in the lower, left-hand corner. There's a silver, rectangular block thingy which is the oil pump. Coming out of the left side of this is some copper tubing attached to the silver block with a nut. The tubing bends downward into the projector sump and has a small metal basket thing attached to its end. This is the filter and is removed by loosening the nut and twisting the tubing upward and out of the machine. Then just run under hot water and THOROUGHLY DRY. This is important since oil and water don't mix. Now replace the filter and cover and pour fresh oil in the fill spout up top, it's easier if you use a funnel set aside for this purpose. Fill till your sightglass shows only a small bubble at the top, or to the metal ring if you have the front mounted "tube type" sight glass. Wait ten minutes for the oil to settle and make any final adjustments to oil level. Then start up your motor and check to be sure that the oil is moving around well, splashing all over the window and such.

-Mike

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-24-2000 05:05 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there has been any gear work done in the head the oil should be changed very frequently to allow the parts to hone in and remove the removed metal bits
After work I usually go
1 day
50 hours
100 hours
500 hours
1000 hours from then on

Richard Tuller
Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2000 12:03 AM      Profile for Richard Tuller   Email Richard Tuller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just drain it through the intermitt

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2000 07:04 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce, congrats on your TP-66. They were great machines. I used them in a TV station I worked at '66 - '68. (we had 4 of them, plus two others of an older vintage ... TP - 6 maybe??) I don't remember what the maintainence schedule was like, as the maintainence engrs. did that. I was strictly involved with on-air work. They just ran and ran.

I'm suprised they were still available new in the '80's.

A few years back I saw one for sale at a hamfest flea market. It had a $100 price tag on it, but alas I don't think it ever got a new home. I was tempted!!

With the right lens, one of those would be great to have at home!

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2000 10:01 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff:

Since this is not a 16mm site, I wont drone on too long about "candy gauge"..

The TP-66's that we got in 1980 were in fact brand new. I remember them because I signed the waybill from RCA in Deptford, NJ. Maybe they were new old stock...figures if this is true, we were a struggling UHF indie...

We replaced a pair of TP-6's that were well-used when we got them in 1976. We referred to them as the "chompers" We damaged more film during the 4 years of use than I care to remember.

After the replacement, I informed the film distributors that we had new equipment. Suddenly, we started getting something that until then was unheard of....new prints !!

As for the lens issue, a pair of Bell & Howell 1.5" lenses are good, except that with the 5 bladed shutters, the image is a bid dim.

I got this pair for the cost of moving them out of the building and loading them on my ugly truck ($0.) There will soon be another one in my garage. I'm thankful for a cement floor!

Daryl Lund
Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2000 12:41 PM      Profile for Daryl Lund   Email Daryl Lund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why change the oil? My head tech kenny Layton needs somthing to do. He is great at rebuilding projectors.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2000 07:05 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce, here's your opportunity to get a companion for that TP-66!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=510784974

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2000 08:06 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff:

Thanks for the link. Actually, the TP that I am getting this weekend is of the same vintage as the one in your link--right down to the old RCA badge.

At least I dont have to drive to Dallas to get it!

I will be doing major maintenance on it when I get it home. I got a manual from a film-tech reader along with some old GWTW footage a few months back.

If it interests anybody, I am restoring an old multiplexer so that I can run 2 TP's and a slide projector on the one camera. The camera is just a Vidicon, but works well enough for me to transfer some home movies for friends...at sound speed... Pic does not smear!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: