Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » False newspaper advertisements (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: False newspaper advertisements
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-14-2000 11:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This is something that always annoys me. Things like "Dolby" being advertised when I know the theater does not have real Dolby equipment. "THX" only to find out that the print has been moved to a small mono auditorium. "Digital sound", when the theater complex doesn't even own a single digital player of any form (not counting the cd player for non-sync).

How widespread is this practice? I see this all the time and believe this sort of thing is just as much to blame for the slowing business as bad movies.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Rich
Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2000 12:17 AM      Profile for Paul Rich   Email Paul Rich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've found that it's more of the newspaper's fault. When we fax our times to the paper we indicate which ones are going to be in THX. The paper however doesn't always get it correct, the times and the THX designations. Sometimes we make a decision to move something after the times have been faxed and it's too late.

Our bigest problem is with MovieFone. Almost all of the times for our theater have been incorrect in their listings. We've called them and fought with them, but they still screw everything up. They had us showing Gladiator, The Kid, M:I-2 after they had been gone for months.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2000 02:21 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a tip to guard against incorrect newspaper ads. My newspaper faxes me an ad proof the day before it runs, and if there are any corrections to be made, I simply pencil them in and fax the proof back to them. Never had an incorrect ad in 7 months of management so far.

Frank Prete
Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2000 02:24 AM      Profile for Frank Prete   Email Frank Prete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

I've seen people make the trip to a particular theatre so they can see the film in DTS or Dolby Digital, only to realise that the film is only screening in SR. (I've had to speak with a few annoyed customers with this problem from time to time)

I've also seen films which I know don't have a digital soundtrack as being advertised as running in Digital (eg The Full Monty).

I'm sure that all cinema chains, in all countries have done similar things. Most of us are Human.

A more telling question might be how many theatres in a (perhaps desperate) bid to attract more customers deliberetly include mistakes in thier advertising? How many customers then know the difference?

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2000 08:09 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This week alone (and I just started in a new place this week - new for me, that is) I've heard 2 separate complaints that 'the surrounds aren't working', from two different auditoriums playing two different movies ('Shaft', 'The Ninth Gate').

Shaft was in Dolby Digital (at the time, it's in DTS now that the discs have finally arrived!) and The Ninth Gate was in Dolby SR at the time (and has since moved to a Dolby Digital screen). I checked both at the time of the complaints and the surrounds were indeed working. Strange; I can't really understand why this would have generated a complaint!

Doesn't it seem strange when people complain about things that you're doing absolutely right whereas I've been to other cinemas where seriously deficient aspects of the presentation go seemingly unnoticed?

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2000 08:32 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still see it happening. Here I've seen a mid 70's multiplex advertising both "digital" and "Stereo" sound when I know for a fact that the only thing they have for sound is all MONO tube type sound systems.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-15-2000 10:54 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting discussion....

Can I ask everyone to differentiate between:
1. Theaters that do not have the sound system advertised *in any theater* Of couse, this is totally wrong.

2. Theaters that have the sound system advertised, but the film advertised is not running in that auditourium.

I know they're both wrong, but sometimes theaters switch screens (while it take a week to change the ads), so #2 above might be somewhat understandable.

Wasn't there a lawsuit about avertising Dolby Stereo, when you only had Eprad, or something like that?

We've had several problems with our newspapers getting things wrong. There are two areas where people can look. One is "The Movie Clock" that just shows the film title, theater and show times. The newspaper provides this for free, and generally won't take any responsablity for any errors (and there are many.) Sometimes, when they have completely screwed up, they will just put in a statement; "The theater did not send the showtimes to us in time for printing." ..which usually is BS.

The regular ads are paid for (co-opped) so there are less mistakes. But, many times, the ad space is shared with other films, and a "Dolby Digital" logo is simply placed at the bottom of the ad... without specifing what is or is not in DD.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 11-15-2000 11:01 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A company here deliberately advertises that they have DTS DIGITAL STEREO along with the adress, phone number, etc. There is only one auditorium with it, the rest are mono.

Here is a legal tidbid. It is OK and LEGAL to advertise a film in DOLBY, DTS, SR, whatever, and not even have the equipment. Here is why... If the film has a soundtrack PRODUCED in dolby, or whatever, than you can show it in mono, and still say its a dolby film. Yes its cheating, and lame, but it is in practice all over the place.

BUYER BEWARE...

Dave

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-15-2000 03:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, The "the surrounds are not on" or "the THX is not on" complaints I've always found out was indeed found out to be one single problem...the customer. But not just any customer, the ones who make these complaints are always customers who say things like "you should hear my THX dolby digital sound system at home". Further into the conversations, inevitably they will say "your system is broken because at my house with THX and digital and a Sony DVD player model number V-485-D digitally wired into a Marantz SX-1000 digital receiver with quartz digital this with a digital Sony Trinitron big screen 31 inch monitor and model number Xr300 digital blah, blah, blah..." (ten minutes later they finally admit this next line) "I can hear the actors talking out of ALL the speakers!" (They have to throw in the THX line as well as the word digital as many times as they can to impress you, even though "home THX" does not have the standards that real THX does. They also like to throw model numbers of their components out into the conversation for no good reason.)

I've actually been hounded so much by a couple of people about how incredible their home THX system was that since they lived very close, agreed to go listen to it only to find out they were not even running it in digital...or even pro-logic! Many of these home receivers have a "cinema surround" mode that more or less just adds an echo into the surrounds. They will inevitably sit there and play their "WOW" laserdisc while I cringe at the pathetic sound for 8 minutes. The funny part is these guys get junker speakers (almost as if they came from a Ford stock car radio) and hook them up to a "THX receiver" and actually believe they have the best system in existence. "Deep bass" to them is about 400hz.

Next time you get that complaint, chat with the customer for a minute. I guarantee that is what they will say.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-15-2000 06:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To stop newspaper ad problems, keep your original copy that you fax to them. If they put the incorrect show times in the paper, show them your "correct" version and ask to be credited for the mistaken ad. I guarantee your problems will stop.

If they say they won't run your ads anymore if you refuse to pay for mistaken ads, go up the ladder as high as necessary.

They only walk on ya if you let'em!

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 11-15-2000 06:21 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know TWO things for sure:

At Cinema West we would quite often advertise in "DTS" as if to say "In the auditorium that is equipped to play DTS" because quite often - disks wouldn't show up etc. etc. And even THEN - it's in DTS Stereo. And still to this day they make very little differentiation between ULTRA and DOLBY Stereo.

SECOND THING I KNOW - in "Suburban Directory Ads" where it's a GIANT Co-Op ad listing all the theatres in the area... most often the ad agency decides who has digital and who doesn't.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 11-15-2000 07:02 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We get one of these occasionally & usually on action pictures "the sound seems to be coming from all around and it's very annoying when it is not from the screen". I guess these people haven't been to a movie in a long time. Surround ain't for everybody and does cause intelligibility problems when it is too loud on films with a lot of low dialog chatter like some Woody Allen films etc. We produce our own newspaper ads & give them to the rep on disc AND hard copy and they still screw them up regularly. Amazing

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-15-2000 07:23 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's worse than hearing (not-very) "deep bass" is hearing any sort of system which reproduces a single low frequency, rather than a real subwoofer. To hear what I'm talking about, listen to any of the so-called "high end" car radio setups and you'll hear what I mean. These things are totally unlistenable. The default cheapo factory-installed radio and speakers in my car produce more "musical" sound than those "high-end" pieces of junk. (OK, there may be someone, somewhere, who has a car system that actually sounds good, but I've never heard one.)

The poorly set up "home theatre" systems are indeed a big problem, especially when people turn the surrounds up too high or use one of those crappy "simulated-stereo" modes. Personally, I'd rather watch a movie or listen to music through a really good mono system than through a bad surround system, but I suppose that I'm in the minority, judging by the number of people who have horrible-sounding "home theatre" setups.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-16-2000 04:20 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
No Scott, I'm with you. I'd rather watch a movie on a tv through it's built in 2 inch speaker in mono than listen to many people's horribly mistuned and poorly setup home "theater" sound systems. Sometimes, mono IS better.

Also, I actually have heard a couple of good sounding car systems, but they were set up by individuals who knew what they were doing. One fellow actually built in a second alternator, added two marine batteries and had a mini sound rack full of a cross between home processors and 1/3 octave equalizers and cinema amplifiers, all run through a power inverter in a full size Cadillac! Oh, did I mention he had two 18 inch subwoofers built into his trunk, using the entire trunk as an enclosure? Talk about crazy! The guy was in his car about 10 minutes a day.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2000 08:32 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC used to be guilty of false advertsiement, at least here in the Dallas area, they used to advertise every screen as being Dolby Stero, in both the co-op ads and their own ads. When in fact they had but only a handfull of Dolby processors, in fact quite a few of the houses were either mono or Center/Surround. The AMC Prestonwood literally had Radio Shack speakers is 4 out of 5 screens, untill installing new speakers for SDDS, Nothing like getting behind the screen and seeing "Realistic" plastered on all the speakers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: