Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How to convert a Christie MUT to A Neumade Platter (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How to convert a Christie MUT to A Neumade Platter
Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2000 04:09 AM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love a properly timed aw-3 but I am now at a theater with one strong ap and thirteen Neutronic platters. The Neutronics are great but the make up tables are a lot to be desired... but any way. In my area there is a couple of extra christie mut's and I was wondering if there are any way to adapt a christie mut to a Neumade platter? any advice would be great. I have thought about stripping out the Neumade table and using the guts in a Christie... but before I go through that hassel, any other Ideas or am I just a glutton for punishment? thanx again.

|  IP: Logged

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2000 12:56 AM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a strong MUT use it. IMHO they are a bit better then the christie, and we all know anythings better then the nuemade(I won't even touch ours, except for replacing the drive belt for a co worker). They seem to be faster and more relyable (since the film sits horizontally) . Make sure you thread it correctly though, i have seen too many people make mistakes on the strong MUT and damage the film.

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2000 01:01 AM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, in case you are still intent on using the christie here's a few tips. The standard motors that the nuemades came with have like 3 or 4 wires inside each cord. We have slowly been replacing these motors with newer ones that only use two wires (make sure you get it going the right dirrection or your platter will go backwards) . i *think* you can cut a spare cord (order a spare if you have to) and splice it on the christie. I don't quite remember how the christie hooks up though, it will probably only work if the christie hooks directly into the motor(its been a while).

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 04-24-2012 01:23 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 4204 days since the last post.

Matthew McBride
Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2012 01:23 PM      Profile for Matthew McBride   Email Matthew McBride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anything come of this as I am in a similar situation. My Strong AP-3 has pretty much crapped out and the cost for repairing it versus getting a new system is higher. So I want to replace it with a Christie AW3R. Can I modify my Strong MUT to work with the AW3R or should I just get a Christie MUT. The manuals do not seem to have wiring schematics for the muts and platters so I can't really tell. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-24-2012 08:48 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christie platters are DC platters where the MUT has a motor control card that parallels with the DC motor control cards for the platter unit via the push buttons on the side.

The STRONG Alpha series are 120VAC where it depends on an A/B connection on the MUT via the "makeup/breakdown" switch (a simple DPDT switch) to run the platter motor on ALPHA unit along with the MUT having full control of the platter motor via the variac on the STRONG MUT.

..making the two MUTS incompatible with each other's platter unit.

You're best to get the matching MUT .. a MK35 Christie MUT

(but, if the AP3 just need brushes for the motors, goto Grainger and get you some 1R236 brushes-comes 2 to a blister and 20 bucks will get you a set to replace all the brushes....)

Matthew McBride
Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2012 11:43 AM      Profile for Matthew McBride   Email Matthew McBride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reply Monte. Unfortunately it's not just the brushes. One of the platter motors is dead and another is dying. The variac is dying and two of the 3 platters are so warped it's messing up the take-up plate causing extreme up/down motions. So it seems that I'll have to get a MUT if I replace with a christie platter.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-25-2012 05:39 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you do with warped STRONG platter decks:

(this is caused by splicing on the platter deck itself, or someone is just putting all of their upper body weight on the deck when lacing the brain-decks are terribly flimsy in this department...),

Take the deck off the spindle, lay the deck face down on the solid and flat floor, take a pair of vise grips and rebend the "spider leg" deck supports back to vertical square.

This get's some of the warp out of the decks-not all, but most of the warp.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-25-2012 07:05 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Christie muts in Louisville. Louis

Matthew McBride
Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2012 11:39 AM      Profile for Matthew McBride   Email Matthew McBride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis I just sent you a PM.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 04-26-2012 02:01 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to see that Matt..I was about to say that with all the conversions and closures you should have no trouble at all finding a MUT or platters real cheap. [Smile]

Matthew McBride
Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2012 02:44 PM      Profile for Matthew McBride   Email Matthew McBride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Take the deck off the spindle, lay the deck face down on the solid and flat floor, take a pair of vise grips and rebend the "spider leg" deck supports back to vertical square
Monte I have tried this before and I had no such luck, but maybe I was doing it wrong so I will try it again.

Tony, I know of one person here that has a bunch of AW3s lying around but I have a feeling he isn't going to give it away for a fair price just by talking to him. Which I'm not okay with after getting a little swindled on the platter system I have now. I'm plan on making my decision in July though, I gotta sort some finances as I'm moving in August, so I've got to plan for that. I do know that LIT has some refurbished ones out in Cali, but then shipping becomes an issue.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-07-2012 12:54 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I hear ya on the shipping thing.

As for the guy who has them near you, (and I am serious here) an offer of a dinner for him (and his wife/mate/partner as applicable) will go a long way to getting you what you want at a better price. Also, clearly explaining that this is for your own personal use and not for resale will get you a better deal in many cases. (That's how I got my CP-650 at a great price.)

Let us know how this turns out!

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-07-2012 02:51 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still no word! Louis

Matthew McBride
Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2012 12:34 PM      Profile for Matthew McBride   Email Matthew McBride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony, thanks for the advice I will try out the dinner idea. I never thought about that. He does know however that it is for my personal use. I just get the feeling he's trying to make a huge profit on it, though I can't imagine why as he has about 12 of them in storage, so I have no clue what he's gonna do with them especially since he's only a 2 screen.

Louis, I just sent you an email too.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: