Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Iwerks! in the US of A

Author Topic: Iwerks! in the US of A
Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 10-11-2000 09:59 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I was recently hired at a
multiplex in town(now called Century 10)
Were We are running the first !werks theather in the US (8 perf 70, 24FPS) Last night was the training for the beast, a modified Ballentyne Pro35. I almost got to thread it, but had to leave. The whole crew form MTS midwest was there. Due to corperate policy I cant run it until I'm 18

oh well, what's two years

Josh

|  IP: Logged

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 10-11-2000 11:43 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh well,

We had to run Iwerks at Cinemark and it sucked. I hope I do not offend you but it was so gosh darn frustraing. Whenever there was a customer they had to call one of us from the booth to go down and run the stupid thing. Talk about frustrating especially if you were in the middle of something and they always came at the worst times. I also dont see what was so fun to watch somethign on the screen whil being jerked around for a dollar. I could easily save the time by sitting in front of the T.V. and have someone shake me vigirously. Oh yeah and the times it broke down and ugh! That is all I am going to say about that. Quite frankly we were happier when it did break down so we did nto have to run it oh yeah and when we finally got rid of it. Personally I found it degrading.

Oh well hope your experience with it is going to be better then mine. .

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-12-2000 03:20 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh! I ran a 70mm 5 perf 60 frames per second Showscan beast...no, not a beast...a piece of crap! The projector was a Westrex (I understand this is basically the same thing as the new Christie 70mm projector, but this info is second hand so that might not be correct) and it did the special "rewind through the projector while the other machine is running" thing. I think I actually saw it rewind once properly without totally destroying the print. Every other time was a real mess! Everyone, and I do mean everyone looked at that thing, including the Showscan techs and never did that damned thing work properly once it started running in reverse. I ended up having to cut the tail leader short so it would "run out" after the show and drop failsafes so it couldn't rewind. Then the projectionist on duty had to run clear across the building, downstairs, through the lobby, through a maze of stairs in the hydraulic room (designed to "force" the projectionist to check the hydraulics) and up another flight of stairs only to rewind the reels on the bench, reload the thing, go through an assinine procedure of cueing the film and finally reset the automation. Did I mention this had to be done EVERY FRIGGIN' SHOW? Did I mention the show was only FOUR MINUTES LONG?

Don't worry about that two year thing, Josh. Unless the system you are speaking of runs off of a loop cabinet, you won't regret not having to deal with it in the end.

Rewinding through the projector is just plain damn stupid!

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2000 08:45 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ethan, at least you only had to do it on occasion unless I was wasn't working it.

Our system was a four feature film. Two shows would run through the projector one way, then the lense element would shift to the other half of the print and it would then run in reverse for the next two shows.
Fairly easy to operate.

Paul.

Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2000 09:16 AM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ethan, what type of system was it that you didn't like, sounded like you were running an iWerks Turbo Ride, but I wasn't sure.

Josh, when you say that you are running the first iWerks theatre in the US, do you mean the first Century-iWerks theatre? The first iWerks theatre in the US was built in Albuquerque in 1989.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2000 09:38 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, Ethan,

You guys are lucky! When I was there, which was right during and after the grand opening, we HAD to run that IWerks and MAKE it work. Yes it was a beast, it worked OK going foreward, the problems always ended up being when it ran backwards, Running 30FPS in reverse is not very easy on the film It too was a Ballantyne 70MM projector with a modified movement, to accomodate the higher film speeds. Threading the film was a pain in the rear with I'm sure Paul and Ethan will attest to. I don't miss it one bit!

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 10-12-2000 11:37 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps I should clarify.
Our theater does not have motion seats, they would be a pain. our film is on a strong 70mm platter, 7KW lamp, DTS with and without timecode sync

I guess that's all for now

Josh

------------------
"where to they teach you to talk like this, in some Panema City wana hump-hump-bar? sell crazy someplace else. we're all stocked up here" As good as it gets

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-19-2000 11:44 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the Showscan machines were usually built by Cinema Products (now defunct)
We have a westrex on a ride at ontario place that rewinds through the machine and give almost no grief at all

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-19-2000 12:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
"Almost no grief"?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-19-2000 07:23 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad:

I think if you saw a Kinoton running backwards through the machine you wouldn't be so harsh on the concept....just because some designs can't doesn't mean they are all that bad.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-20-2000 05:06 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Steve, I'll grant you that one. Perhaps one day I can work with one of the Kinotons. I hear nothing but fabulous things about them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: