Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Need Parts for 35mm Guillotine Splicer

Author Topic: Need Parts for 35mm Guillotine Splicer
Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2000 08:03 PM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was doing some work today in the projection booth of one of the performing arts centers I volunteer at and noticed that our Guillotine brand tape splicer is getting a bit dull. Both the cutter blade and the metal prongs that perforate the tape at the sprocket holes. Anybody know where I can get spare parts for these?

I'd like to have a nice Neumade splicer but I know our current budget won't allow such a purchase. Until it does, I guess the ol' Guillotine will have to do.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Huff
Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2000 08:22 PM      Profile for Mark Huff   Email Mark Huff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually have one of those splicers also. The company that made that splicer is no longer in business. You however can get similar parts that fit through neumade.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2000 10:05 PM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the problem with the perforator not completely punching out the tape at the sprocket holes?

Cleaning the splicer completely will often make it better (but sometimes will make it worse).

Also, the brand of splicing tape makes a BIG difference.

------------------
William Hooper
Junk drawer: http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/theater/3622
Theatre Empire: http://members.xoom.com/saenger.1

Frank Prete
Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2000 03:14 AM      Profile for Frank Prete   Email Frank Prete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forget Neumade, go for a nice Italian CIR model. Simply the best splicer in the world.

Randy, try this: Place a piece of splicing tape over the area where the splicer punches through the perforations (underneath where the film goes). This piece of tape acts as a trap, stopping the small pieces of tape from coming back up with the blades and getting stuck on the film.

With regard to splicing tape, I've found the FPC tape supplied by Kodak to be excellent!

Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2000 02:34 PM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I appreciate everybody's help. Thanks!

There are actually TWO problems with the Guillotine splicer in our booth. The perforator not completely punching out the tape at the sprocket holes is indeed one of the problems. The other is that the blade that cuts the tape on either side of the film has become dull and does not completely cut the tape. We have to use scissors to finish the job.

I cleaned the splicer thoroughly not too long ago, I think our problems with the unit are the result of blunt edges from much use over the years. I'll try Frank Prete's idea of using tape to act as a "trap." I'll also try a different brand of tape and see what happens.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-13-2000 05:39 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the splicer leave ragged edges when it shears off the tape? They hong off the edge about 1-2 mm?

If so, try pulling the tape TIGHT when you make the splice. Then make sure you rub it down to those little 'crossbars' that are just above and below the film bed.

You see, this splicer doesn't cut the tape by "scissor" action but by using "guillitone" action. (Hence the name, I guess.)

If there is a sag in the tape when the blade comes down it'll tear and leave a jagged edge instead of shaving off cleanly.

I had the same problem with a bunch of Marble splicers. Teaching all the people to do that cleared it up at least 75%.

Frank Prete
Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2000 06:11 AM      Profile for Frank Prete   Email Frank Prete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Randy,

I'd love to take the credit for the tape idea, but it actually comes with the instructions to a new CIR splicer.

My boss was always telling other projectionists about this and many laughed at the idea! He now has a copy of the instructions to show non-believers

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: