Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Identify the Equipment contest (again) !

Author Topic: Identify the Equipment contest (again) !
William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2000 11:17 PM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winner gets to take a long lunch hour to go pick up a 70mm film stretcher from across town!

The F3 Brenograph at the far left was ID'd earlier, & here's the rest of the booth of the Carolina Theatre in Charlotte, NC just before opening in 1927 -

------------------
William Hooper
Junk drawer: http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/theater/3622
Theatre Empire: http://members.xoom.com/saenger.1

|  IP: Logged

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2000 08:23 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The lamps are Peerless Hi-Lo. They were high intensity reflector lamps burning 9mm positives at about 70 amps. The pedestals are Simplex 5 points so I'm assuming the projectors were Simplex as well.

------------------
Bob Throop

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2000 01:11 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely peerless low intensity, looks like simplex 16" magazines w/ decal so vintage early 1920s and most likely simplex regular front shutter mechanisms. Its nice to see a
three machine booth again!

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-04-2002 01:38 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Resurrecting this thread with this pic:

-

The machine dates from around 1945, what is it?

Mike Rendall
Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2002 03:16 AM      Profile for Mike Rendall   Email Mike Rendall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just from the positioning of the rollers and general shape of the head it looks like it is a Cinemeccanica (although they are normally blue hammerite finish). Could it be a Victoria 9?

Jeff Skallan
Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2002 04:04 AM      Profile for Jeff Skallan   Email Jeff Skallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks to be a Cinemeccanica Vic 5. But why is it green? Weird.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-04-2002 04:42 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
That's gotta be a Vic 5. Where did the date of 1945 come from? The two tags hanging off of the framing knob indicate that the head is either new or rebuilt by Cinemeccanica. One says whether or not the dolby digital reader was aligned at the factory. As far as green goes, I guess you could have one made up pink if you wanted. Probably done to match the lamphouse.

The blue projector below is a brand new Vic 5 (with turret) from last year. The middle green projector is your photo lightened up so I could see it. The grey projector below is a (souped up) Vic 9. Note the differences in the shutter housing, the holdback sprocket and the location of the framing knob.

-

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2002 07:05 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's definately a Cinemeccanica V 5!!
After working with these machines for more than ten years one could easily recognise them. Also check the label on the top right of the projector. Only VICTORIA 5 puts the label exactly at the edge on the top right of the head.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-04-2002 09:44 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The green is probably from the flourescent booth lights.
The lamphouse is a peerless knock off

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-04-2002 12:27 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The projector is a Vic.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-04-2002 12:53 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the ID guys! Don't know why it's green. And maybe the 1945 date came from the lamphouse. The image is a video still from a documentary about the new Studio Ghibli Museum near Tokyo. This Vic 5 is in the museum's theatre, installed in a booth made to look like the front of an old streetcar.

-

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2002 05:33 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It even looks that it is a new Vic 5. Note that the framing knob is black. Old V5 projector is yellow. Even the rolers suggest that it is a new one since they are the new silver type. I am not suggesting that it is new because of the Digital basement reader because that could be added on. Someone did a hell job with painting it. I would love painting one of these babies in BLACK !!!

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-05-2002 11:45 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen so many "slightly" different versions of V5's, V8's, and V9's I've lost count.

V9's are a favorite; I wish they still made them. Had the right combination of simple, "easy to clean openness" with tough parts (used the same intermittent as a V8.) My only complaint (and it's a big one) is the crappy AC solenoid operated "zipper" shutter used on older V5's and V9's models. Don't know how many shutter "disks" I have replaced because they broke the two little rivets holding it to the flat lever. It makes a noise, like; "RRRAANTTT!!" when it opens. So loud and nasty, I think I hear it in my sleep sometimes.

Operated a V5 studio projector recently, another version which I'd never seen before. Had a drive sprocket between the intermittent and the hold-back sprocket with a torque motors for the reels. A little solenoid would operate when run in reverse, to release some gate tension so the film would run through easier.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2002 12:06 AM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
I really like your photo of the Ghibli Studio auditorium. Delightful place for children! How happy they all look!
Gerard

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: