Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Please Help: Rewinding On Sword Make-Up Table

Author Topic: Please Help: Rewinding On Sword Make-Up Table
Larry Davis
Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2000 04:47 PM      Profile for Larry Davis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi folks,
I have lurked here for months and learned a lot. But now I have a problem and I could really use your help. I own an Eprad Jumbo Sword, model 51000. I am having trouble figuring out how to take down prints with the make-up table on the Sword. I have no problem making up prints on the table. My problem is I can get only clockwise action with the large right reel on the Sword itself. I can control the direction of the spindle on the make-up table, but the large reel on the Sword won't cooperate. I have read the sword manual at film-tech and the method to use when taking down prints with the make-up table isn't specified. I have another Sword manual and it doesn't discuss this either. It does mention that you can take down prints with the make-up table, so obviously it's possible. If someone knows how to take down prints from one of the large reels to a reel on the make-up table, I would surely appreciate the information.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-08-2000 05:21 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I beleive you bypass the dancer arm on the full reel on the sword

Larry Davis
Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2000 08:25 PM      Profile for Larry Davis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gordon,
Here's my problem:

The only way to activate the make-up table, is to have either the left or right large reels running. Then I can turn the make-up table on and have it spin clockwise or counter-clockwise. But, to get the large reels spinning in the correct direction, I need to raise that reel's dancer arm beyond parallel to the floor. If I leave the dancer arm unused, the large reel simply won't spin. Normally the make-up motor and reel are in sync and spin up and down in tandem, avoiding spilling film all over the floor. Not so with the dancer arms elevated above parallel. I have tried so many ways to get this to work. I hope someone can tell me what to do.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-09-2000 01:42 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you use the dancers when you rewind are both used.
In the worst case feed from the reel that is unrewound through the rewind dance and up to the make up spindle
We had two swords that we modified for 35/70mm and we completley rewired the unit

Larry Davis
Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2000 05:23 PM      Profile for Larry Davis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"How do you use the dancers when you rewind are both used."

Well, when rewinding onto a large reel on the Sword's main axle, the dancer arm on the reel paying out the film isn't used. The reel taking up the film, is. I hope my answer makes sense.

"In the worst case feed from the reel that is unrewound through the rewind dance and up to the make up spindle"

I'm not sure I'm following you. I can't get the make-up spindle to start unless I run film through the dancer arm. Problem is, it spins the reels in the opposite direction from what I want. I can't get the large reels to move in the proper direction. I can control the direction of a reel on the make-up spindle - no problem, as long as the motor is activated. My problem is getting the large reels to pay out film to the spindle. They just don't want to do it. I must be doing something wrong.

There is a "cheat" that I can use to rewind onto the make-up spindle. I raise the right dancer arm slightly. There is no reel on that axle. The large right spindle runs reel-less, in the wrong direction, but the make-up motor is activated and I can rewind onto a reel on the make-up table with a large reel on the left side of the Sword. No dancer arm is used on the left side. This is a very clunky method and unless I rewind very slow, it puts stress on the make-up motor. I hope someone can clear this up. My "cheat" method is pretty clunky.

Thanks for your help!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-09-2000 06:26 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
according to the schematic switch SS1 is to be in position 8 to run the makeup motor only

Larry Davis
Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2000 07:40 PM      Profile for Larry Davis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Sword has no position 8. I have only 2 thread modes, run (large reel), rewind (large reel), make-up right and make-up left. That's it. I am using the Eprad Jumbo Sword, model 51000.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-09-2000 07:47 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The schematic is in the manuals section and it shows in the photo only what you describe but the schematic shows more unmarked positions it is drawing C-40733-2

Larry Davis
Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2000 05:17 AM      Profile for Larry Davis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon,
I'm going to have a professional film projectionist come over and troubleshoot my Sword. I don't know how to interpret the schematic you refer to. I see it, but I don't know what to make of it. Maybe my friend can help. It looks like I'm back to my rewind "cheat", for now at least. If anyone else has any ideas, I'd like to hear them.

Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2000 12:52 AM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry,

Where in N.Y. are you located being in the central new york area I would love to see one of these in operation.

Anyway, good luck,

Larry Davis
Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2000 05:05 AM      Profile for Larry Davis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Sean. I'm in NYC. The neat thing about the Sword is that I can watch an entire movie (or even 2 or 3 movies) on one reel. My Jumbo Sword can handle up to 4 1/2 hours of film on a 48" reel. My overall impression of the Sword is very positive.

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2000 10:09 AM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"He who lives by the sword..."

Sorry, I had to.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: