Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » First Trip To A Multiplex

Author Topic: First Trip To A Multiplex
Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2000 09:17 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I had been to one before a number of times in the 80's. My family used to go to Montreal a couple times a year for Expos games, dad would take me to matinees downtown, it was a huge Lowe's (I think) that had scads of "companion" screens. But dad always insisted we go to the original auditorium, which I remember was massive, had a balcony, and usually, about 8 other souls in it. "They aren't building theatres like this anymore, son." He was right.

So until now, my movie-going has been to a few downtown or small-town singles, a "mall 2" and a couple late-70's downtown 3's (one chopped, one purpose-built). And of course, the drive-ins.

Last night it was to the new Famous Players 8-plex (which replaced the mall 2). I feel like I've been in a time-warp. First of all, it seems odd for there not to be a street out front or the structure of 7 and 9 showtimes. Ours was 10:15 for "Meet The Parents". It was very congested as all the teenagers were getting out of the "early" shows. There were automatic ticketing kiosks
and a small line for the "live" cashier. Another odd thing was to have so many people in the "lobby" without necessarily being movie customers. The manager used to work with my wife in the museum field. You can tell it's very hectic for her. She seemed to be the only adult staffmember, lamenting the fact that the theatre was now more of a video-arcade hangout for screaming kids than
an actual cinema.

The presentation was fairly good, those little white lint spots I figured was a problem with the print, but the black lint was starting to collect on only the second run-through of the print. The auditorium was roughly 55x72, with a 50 foot screen. First time I've seen on-screen slide advertising. Very annoying, especially when you see the blanket ads for IMAX showings 2 hours away, gives you that "let 'em eat cake" feeling. Traditional sloped floor, screen almost too big (right from wall to wall). I think it would be great for scope, the only problem is that in order to "dazzle" the patrons with the "huge" screens, they make the flat image much lower, so that it's nearly as wide as scope, and with the traditional rake, the bottom of the image is obscured by patrons in the front. I know what they're doing, but I wish they'd raise it a touch.

As mentioned in the thread about the 50's theatres, the whole place "reeked of cheap".
From the exposed ceilings, painted-concrete floor in the lobby, video arcade and garish decor, it just doesn't "feel" like the movies. The popcorn was stale (recycled?).

BUT - It was very clean, and once you get through the annoyances, the presentation seemed fairly good, and the volume level was reasonable. The auditorium was again, uninspiring, but clean. We sat near the back, I can't imagine sitting much closer. Overall, I think, managed by someone who cares and is doing the best she can with the cards dealt. A businessman myself, I wouldn't expect much more from an all-adolescent staff and no full-timers. Still, I think I'll stick to my small-town singles until the DI's open again in the spring.

------------------
Dave Bird

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-07-2000 10:55 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
For the true test, go BACK to that theater and find yourself an old movie, like X-Men or Space Cowboys. Be sure and let us know how THAT experience was. Screening films on opening weekend is 99.9% of the time going to be fine. (Then again, maybe that's why so many patrons rush out nowadays. )

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2000 01:11 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's kinda what I had in mind, like I say, this was second screening, and already some lint building up, I have a feeling it gets pretty ratty. Of course, with my wife's connection with the manager, maybe I can get a look at the booth and see what they're running and how clean the machines are.

PS- Don't know if they have the sponsor "Glosette's" for the previews in US (with the annoying guy sticking his tongue out etc, but they looked to have been run about a billion times.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2000 01:21 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"First of all, it seems odd for there not to be a street out front or the structure of 7 and 9 showtimes. Ours was 10:15 for "Meet The Parents""

In an 8 plex, they 7 and 9 showtimes are not practical. You need to spread your showtimes out, so that everyone doesn't just show up at the same times, causing traffic jams for box AND concession. (Mine currently run from 6:50 to 7:30.) Next, you need to spread your drop times, so that not everything drops at once, causing traffic jams at the restrooms and exits, and also to give your ushers time to clean (mine currently run from 8:43 to 9:44). Lastly, you need to stagger your late starts, for a combination of reasons listed above (mine currently from 9:35 to 10:15). Show scheduling is not an exact science, but you want to ATTEMPT to expedite the customers in and out of your building as smoothly as possible.

P.S. I've never understood the 7 and 9 thing. First, the average movie length is just under 2 hours, add 15 minutes of trailers, and you're right at 2 hours. You then need time for the customers to exit, your ushers to clean the theater, and to allow for seating of the late round customers. Would someone please explain to me how this is done w/ 7 and 9 showtimes (my customers ask me this on a regular basis).

Frank Prete
Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2000 06:34 AM      Profile for Frank Prete   Email Frank Prete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember going to a twin theatre here that has now been closed and re-built as a six plex. Does OK. My favourite multiplex here in Melbourne is out in the Western suburbs, Sunshine. It is a 20 plex which has Kinoton FP50's Speco platters and CP500's. Their biggest screens (cins 3,4,18 & 19) are around 19.4 meters (Don't know what that is in the old scale )wide in scope.

I think that the multiplex experience is great - you can stroll up and generally find something worth watching, and in the better complexes the presentation is good.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2000 08:18 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes, Mike, I understand, just different from what I've been accustomed to. I had a good look around (we were early). No way there was enough space, or enough stations/staff to handle even 4 at once. Looks like they run 2 shows every 10-15 min from 6:50-7:30 then 9:20-10:15. Please don't get me wrong, not knocking it, my impression was "clean and homogenized". Then again, it was "clean and homogenized"!
I'd love to see a more classic feel in a multiplex, maybe the main lobby set up as though it were a huge old single, a couple fairly decent auds, then more "companion" screens either side. I think it's been done that way. If not, it will, somewhere.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: