Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » cue marks on Pokemon 2000

Author Topic: cue marks on Pokemon 2000
Dave Ganoe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2000 08:28 AM      Profile for Dave Ganoe   Email Dave Ganoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone notice cue marks, much smaller than at
the actual reel changes, in the middle of each 2000' reel? Last night was the first time I noticed them when running the movie.

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2000 08:36 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they run 1000' changeovers in Japan?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-07-2000 02:16 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like them...it made for something interesting to look at.

Stefan Scholz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2000 06:31 AM      Profile for Stefan Scholz   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Scholz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One part of a movie is 305 meters. (1000ft)
One reel normally is 2 or 3 parts. (2000ft)
Reel 1 consists normally of Part 1A and Part 1B or in Asia Reel 1 and Reel 2.
That's why you do have the cues.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 10-07-2000 07:21 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the "1A" and the "1B" referred to the A and B rolls, where every other shot is put on it's own roll (with slugging in between.) True?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-07-2000 07:30 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's for hiding splices in 16mm, John.

The A and B sections of a reel are a holdover from the single reel days (1,000 ft., or "cartoon" reels, as I used to call 'em). These are also the same size reels used in production today... editors assemble the movie on them. I do not know at what point in the process they are put into 2,000 ft. sections, however.

2,000 ft. capacity reels came on the scene sometime in the late 20s or early 30s, and were referred to as "double reels".

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: