Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Filmguard use in limited runs

Author Topic: Filmguard use in limited runs
Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2000 10:28 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking at using Filmgaurd for a place running on weekends only (Fri/Sat) Can FG do it's magic in one or two passes only? I know that it's common knowledge FG does well on long runs,I was just curious on short ones. OR...say you're running a one time special show. How well does this workout? Can FG be applied at the rewind bench with a Kelmar cleaner during build-up? All help or comments welcome.

P.S. We're looking at using the SWORD system. (Besides parts avail. I think they're good. We might go a SPECO or POTTS) Anybody have suggestions for the best location to mount the cleaner on a SWORD? (the 4 1/2 hr. version)

--Chris

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-05-2000 10:54 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris

It is beneficial no matter how many times you are running. The only problem is that the first run will have the FG smearing effect on screen so if possible, you should try and do a run through before the patrons get there.

It's not essential but it is recommended.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-06-2000 05:27 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

Try and convince the powers that be to go with a SPECO. Of those 3 choices you listed, that would be your best one. With a platter, you can effortlessly perform a "speed wind" from deck to deck without ever even threading over to the projector, yet through the cleaner provided you have a "platter mount" bracket. Even if you only run the film once, if you can pre-wind it through the cleaner beforehand your results will be significantly better than without. Alternatively, you can mount the cleaner on the workbench with a little ingenuity, but a platter cleaning is always going to be superior.

Dave Ganoe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2000 08:30 AM      Profile for Dave Ganoe   Email Dave Ganoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whats gonna happen with the sword when you switch? Will it be forsale?

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2000 10:09 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the Sword, we don't have it yet. We were looking at getting one if we could find it. Running a 4 1/2 hr. show twice a week we could get by with this and not a platter. I understand some people hate 'em and the EPRAD DBL-MUT too. But I think they're nice. I've yet to see a Sword throw a print off.
We might breakdown and go the platter route.

--Chris

Russ Kress
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2000 10:41 PM      Profile for Russ Kress   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Kress   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alas, I have been witness to a Sword feeding one-half of a print into the floor of the booth when a micro switch failed!

Are we talking about the same system btw?

Two projectors that automatically change over with the first playing backwards while the second runs (and vice-versa)?

I think that I was the last manager of the Keith Albee to use it (LOL). I thought it was cool!

Now every time I visit, they are using a trusty SPECO platter.

If you get your Sword, just remember the golden rule of fixing the problem...

DON'T TOUCH THE PILE OF FILM!! Slowly take up the film onto the payout reel. If you disturb the pile, it will tangle.

You will probably need some Film Guard!

I don't think our media cleaners will run "backwards" though.

I also have a dictionary of colorfull things to yell at it somewhere!

Russ

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2000 11:02 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Russ,

The system I'm talking about acts as the pedestal and film transport with 48" reels on both sides. The film threads left to right, and after it's over,you rewind. EPRAD made it in the 80's. The manual is on the site if you want to see a picture of it. BTW,does the Keith Albee still use periscope/mirrors in a couple small houses? Does the curtain still work in the main house? I would love to see that place up close and personal! I like to watch movies there. I've been to the Cinema too. Never been to Camelot.

--Chris

Russ Kress
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2000 11:26 PM      Profile for Russ Kress   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Kress   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Keith-Albee's SWORD was fully automated. It re-wound itself (usually!). *grin*

The two "internal" additions still use mirrors to elevate the projection beam over the heads of the customers.

Again, the rule of thumb being DON'T TOUCH! They were not pleasant to adjust.

As far as I know, the traveller still works either manually (for live performances), or by the motor when movies are shown. Greg would know for sure.

The Camelot is the same. The Cinema has been gutted and turned into a pretty nice four plex.

There are pictures of each theatre available at http://www.ghtctheatres.com.

The only true tragedy to befall Huntington in recent years was the destruction of "The Varsity" (a local bar) in order to build Marshall Stadium!

Did you work in these theatres or did you attend Marshall?

Russ

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2000 11:55 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Russ,

I live about an hour away and come to Huntington to shop, see movies, visit The Pub,Chi Chi's,etc. I never worked there, and if I had it to do over again I would have gone to Marshall!

Cool, we're talking about the same sword. We're thinking about going platter,still thinking and shopping.

GO HERD!!

--Chris

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-07-2000 08:50 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used FG on one-off shows. It works great. Just remember to put at least one or two runs on the print before you show it to the public.

I used to do it on a Potts-Alpha using a platter bracket...

Build the show up normally and then speed wind through the cleaner. {Only go about double speed or you might casue some scratching.) Rewind your pads and screen the print. If the film is exrta filthy you can clean it again by speed winding.

The diffeence is like night and day. I had one film where I couldn't use FG. I actually had people asking me why the film wsa so dirty.

Yes, your customers will actually get USED to seing well-presented movies!

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2000 09:46 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As someone that runs changeovers with a pair of Holmes 8's I dont run the film once before the viewers see it after applying FG.

I've had excellent results applying FG with a thick felt pad material doused with product. The only thing I notice is a bounce in the image due to the slickness of the film in the gate.

I like FG better than Vitafilm, and I used VF for 30 years! FG does not get you high... Wheeeee!

Greg Pauley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2000 10:40 AM      Profile for Greg Pauley   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Pauley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris:
Yes, the curtain is still operating at the Keith Albee. We still do about 12 live stage shows a year through Marshall. Just had Little Richard rocking the place 2 weeks ago (not bad for an old guy). My office is in Huntington and if you ever want a tour of the Keith, just give me a call at 304-525-3261 ext 4 or email me. I'm hoping if I can ever get the time to do a digital tour of the Keith on our website. Did you know there is a full basement and 3 stories of dressing rooms on the back and three stories of offices on the front of the building. We still get the shows coming in from New York and the performers are amazed that this place is in Huntington WV.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-07-2000 10:42 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce,

We're going to have to get you a used media cleaner. Cleaning by hand is very difficult. Those intermittent "jumps" are when the gate hits a spot on the film where there is a little too much FG from hand cleaning, making the film super slick, so what is happening is the film does not stop at the end of the intermittent's pulldown...but continues to slide downward just a touch. Increasing gate tension a notch will solve this, but I'm not familiar with a Holmes. Surely there is an adjustment.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2000 06:21 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Surely there is an adjustment"

No there is no adjustment... And stop calling me Shirley!!

Actually, Brad, the bounce is only noticed by me, and having a pair of Holmes with a steady image is unheard of!

I do wish that you were more familiar with the Holmes and the "Holmes Way" of doing things... like the funky framing lever... You;d appreciate your Century's that much more!

The second time I run a print, there is no bounce or anything. Just an incredibly quiet running print that looks fantastic on screen. Down with video! ( )

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: