Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Who is running Changeovers? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Who is running Changeovers?
Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2000 01:16 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the subject of ELRs I thought it might be a good idea to find out who is running 2,000 foot changeovers.

My theatre, The Rialto Cinemas Lakeside, is running platters.

The Nugget Theatre in Telluride CO is running 2,000 foot reels with changeovers.

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-30-2000 03:28 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have three screens, two of which have two projectors and so can show films reel to reel. As a general rule, I will put a print on the platter if it's showing as part of the regular programme, but show it with changeovers if its a one-off special screening, press show, preview &c. Archive and showprints are always shown reel to reel, as are any brittle and sticky old acetate prints which might have an argument with the platter feed unit.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 09-30-2000 07:46 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only theatres I know of that run reel to reel around us Ian are:

The Sebastiani in Sonoma.
The Park in Lafayette.
The Grand Lake (Oakland); Orinda (Orinda), the Oaks (Albany) are capable of running reel-to-reel but they have platters.

Who else... it'll come to me. I'll think of more.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-30-2000 08:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Scott,
The Grand lake is definately a really cool place. I was given a tour of it a number of years back. I remember that there were a pair of JJ's in the balcony booth and a pair of DP-70's downstairs in the main floor booth. I do however remember that the main floor was running an AW-3 at the time. As I remember the upstairs pair of JJ's were reel to reel. Is this correct?
Mark

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-30-2000 11:54 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Places I've worked: Cape Cinema (2000', carbon arc), Williamsburg Theatre (6000'; currently under renovation, but I assume that the same or similar equipment will go back in the booth eventually)

Places in the Boston area: Coolidge Corner, Brattle, Harvard Film Archive, Belmont Cinema, Avon Cinema (Providence RI), Academy of Music (Northampton, MA - carbon arc), Wellfleet DI (Cape Cod, MA - carbon arc), a few others...

Places in the DC area: Uptown, AFI, Byrd (Richmond, VA. - carbon arc), Naro (Norfolk, VA.)

Others: Egyptian (LA), just about every rep house and screening room in existance, many drive-ins, many single-screens, etc.

Frank Prete
Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2000 12:32 AM      Profile for Frank Prete   Email Frank Prete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Down here in Melbourne, Australia, there is only one place that runs changeovers every night that I know of - The Astor. It is a retro theatre running mostly double features of old and re-released stuff. Generally a new double each night.

The drive in at Coburg occasionally get to run changeovers (6000ft spools) when prints don't behave on the platters.

Then there are the major exhibition companies screening rooms that run changeovers. One for Village, One for Hoyts. The distributors also have their screening rooms, I'd be guessing, but would imagine that changeovers would be the go.

There may be a few more independant theatres running changeovers.

Frank

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2000 06:57 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Hawaii Theater in Honolulu was renovated with new equipment for reel-to-reel, but someone forgot to leave enough space for 6000' reels, so it can only run 2000'. "Fortunately" it runs live shows 95% of the time. Another auditorium here (Honolulu Academy of Arts) can run 6000' but again is not a dedicated cinema.

In rural parts of Hawaii, there are still old carbon arc houses, which I assume limits them to 2000' reels. I doubt they are open all the time either (i.e., matinee and evening every day), just due to low patronage. Interesting to see what will happen to them.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-01-2000 07:47 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most any studio screening room is going to run on only 2000' reels or smaller. Heck, studio machines often just run on cores.

In the DC area, The Uptown is the biggest commercial theatre running changeovers and runs on the 70mm standard reel of 22" or 4500 foot.

The various Smithsonians of which almost all have 35mm film capability run on 2000' reel changeover with the notable exception of the Air and Space theatre (Langley) now running on a platter.

The MPAA screening room in DC is also on 2000' reel changeover.

Then their are the colleges and universities like Johns Hopkins that run 2000' reel closed magazine changeover and George Mason U also on 2000' reel changeover.

The Colonial theatre in Phoenixville, PA (remember THE BLOB w/Steve McQueen?) that pulled a platter out and now is on 2000' reel changeover (art house/special venue).

The National Gallery of Art runs primarily 2000' reel changeover (but has 6000' capability)

Dalke's theatres runs changeovers on all but one screen, including both screens at the "Family Drive-In"

There are others including some that physically can't run more than 2000' reels.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Glenda Cockrum
Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2000 08:30 AM      Profile for Glenda Cockrum   Email Glenda Cockrum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here at the Ambridge Family Theatre we run only changeovers. We have two SuperSimplex, with Strong carbon arcs, RCA 1040 mono soundheads and 2000 foot reels (I don't think we have enough clearance for 6000 ) and with the carbon arcs we would probably waste alot of carbon if we ran 6000's. Are we small, yes, but we are re-building our audience slowly but surely. I am getting comfortable with customers calling us "quaint and cute"! Carmike has the only other theaters in the county, a seven screen and a six screen, the seven has real projectionists, plus managers running one or two nights, I'm not sure about the other theater. Their senior projectionist has been over to see us, asking if he could bring in a few younger guys to learn how to do carbons and changeovers! go figure?! We would like to upgrade to at least a 1970's booth? and he wants to train people in our booth. My husband knew nothing about the equipment when we started the process to buy this 2 years ago, trained long and hard hours with the former owners and now he is one of the few people in the area that knows carbons/changeovers, but has had very little contact with platters and xenon lamphouses!

Travis Cape
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2000 11:35 AM      Profile for Travis Cape   Email Travis Cape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In St. Louis, the Fox, Art Museum, Webster University, Wehrenberg Screening room, and us at the Hi-Pointe run changeovers or can. The Fox and Art Museum are the last Carbon Arcs. We run reels for press screenings, film festivals, or other limited special events. I would run them all the time, but then who would sell the popcorn?

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 10-01-2000 12:09 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RE: The Grand Lake (and other Renassaince Rialto Theatres)

They ALL run platters - but most of the theatres are equipped with two projectors for what the projectionist who gave me the tour described "In case one of the machine f&*ks up."

At first I thought it was just the auditoriums that were original from the theatres construction... but then I found a pair of Century's in the #3 booth - a small addition tacked on at the Grand Lake. I think it's a nice idea to have a spare in case you run into trouble with the main machine.

I personally would love to be able to run changeovers so when we get a special screening for a film-maker... I wouldn't have to cut the heads and tails off.

I once built up a print of "Heartwood" for a screening at one of our theatres for the cast and crew. The director stood up next to the MUT with me and FLIPPED out when I cut a reference frame off with the leader. He asked me what the hell I was doing... and I simply told him I HAD to do it... and to get used to it because when the movie got released... other projectionists might do FAR FAR worse than cut off ONE frame.

Stefan Scholz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2000 02:33 PM      Profile for Stefan Scholz   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Scholz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Orpheum Schoenberg could run changeover on 3 Bauer U2 projectors. The installation was completed in recent times. Lamphouses are 1958 Bauer 3 kW Xenons, the first commercial lamphouse. (Osram prototype)
Reel size is standard 70 mm 4500 ft.
We could also run commercial films on a private Kinotone "portable" projector (FP 23D- T 4000) with 12000 ft reels underneath, for convenience reasons. But the owners prefer to use the changeover setup.
With modern sound systems, it is quite costly to run 3 projectors in all formats, just think of 30 mag preamp channels, 3 Sony readers, 3 DTS, and so on... not talking about the wiring and changeover circuits.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-01-2000 03:03 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would you want three 35mm or 35/70 projectors in one booth? That seems a bit excessive. As long as you have 6000' capability, the failure of one projector/lamphouse/etc. should only cause minor inconvenience for the audience. If one felt the need for more redundancy, it would probably be cheaper just to install a platter in place of the third machine.

My "ideal" booth would have a pair of 35/70 projectors and one of the fancy new Kinoton 16/35 models. That would make it possible to show pretty much any possible combination of formats in a single program: 16mm films, 35mm films, 35mm short/trailers with 70mm feature, 16mm short with 35mm feature, etc.

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2000 03:47 PM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We (the Draken in Göteborg, Sweden) still run changeovers. Depending on what we screen, we use 2000' (old "classics", archive prints, etc; stuff you simply aren't allowed to splice together) or 6000' (sneaks, shows for school classes, festival prints, etc) reels. We're the only theatre in town without a platter and probably won't get one either.

Scott, you'd like my booth. We have two 35/70mm Zeiss Favorit70 projectors, a 35mm Philips FP6 projector, and a 16mm Bauer Selecton. It is actually my ideal booth, or at least pretty close. Have a look at: http://www1.tripnet.se/~adler/draken/.
(Hey Brad, shouldn't you add a link to the Draken pages?)

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-01-2000 07:02 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

Actually 3-projector booths were quite common in the important theatres. It gave complete back up with NO inconvience. Also, in a 35/70 situation, allowed for 35mm previews on a 70mm feature without having to convert a machine mid-show....this could be an issue if the 70mm required raising the top masking (and hence you don't want to be adjusting the projector after the format change going from 35mm to 70mm).

Personally, I am all for four projectors in the really important theatres where shows must run perfect. We always get two prints for these premiers and such but it would be great if both prints were loaded and both running so that if one has a problem...any problem, a simple c/o to the other print keeps the show going on the backup. Normally, the second print just sits in the can waiting for a disaster.

Obviously this would be excessive the the typcial venue but for theatres that feature premiers and like, it would be quite handy. I do think it would also be handy to keep a projector on wheels for the plexes to move into place in the event of a theatre going down.

On the story of cutting off the ID frame...this topic is covered elsewhere in the foum (look for a locked thread). As Brad has pointed out one does NOT have to leave an ID frame and can still match up the leaders though careful observation. Be that as it may, if there was a concern about cutting up the print, the releasing company should have done a site survey and asked as to the mode of operation (changeover or platter) and chosen the process they prefer (sometimes it actually is the platter, more often than not it is changeover). If they didn't know you ran on platters and knew it had to be loaded in order to run the show when the got there, they should have either moved the show or sucked it in and dealt with it.

I once was handed a film maker's copy of a film and he instructed me that not only could the print NOT be cut but NO cue marks or other visable marks of any kind could be put on the print either! It ran on a pair of Century Cs and didn't miss one changeover (heck the editor and director were in the audience and would have let me know too).

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: