Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ridiculously Early Trailers

Author Topic: Ridiculously Early Trailers
Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2000 08:20 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one getting tired of stupidly long in advance trailer releasing? Like Titan AE being on Phantom Menace OVER A YEAR before Titan was supposed to come out? Or Anna and the King on Menace too, which wasn't supposed to come out until that Christmas-7 months later? Now we got 'Pearl Harbor.' Release date, Memorial Day (end of May) 2001. First trailer sent out in the can of Perfect Storm!! And its not just a one time thing, Disney has been sending this fricking trailer out with every one of their movies since. I'm getting really tired of this, advertise for the damn movies you got coming out this year for God's sake.

|  IP: Logged

Frank Prete
Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2000 06:08 AM      Profile for Frank Prete   Email Frank Prete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Independance Day had a long lead up to opening with about ten different trailers. Was a big sucess over here, and everywhere I guess. Maybe they are looking for similar sucess.

From what I hear, the films that you mentioned bombed though didn't they. Maybe there is something in that...

Frank

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2000 11:35 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Titan and Anna bombed big time. But Pearl Harbor actually looks prtetty good.

ID4 was so successfuly because of the ad campaign-it never really told you what the movie was about. The Pearl Harbor trailer is a little bit like that. Well, naturaly you know what the main plot theme is gonna be (duh!), but of course you don't know the details or side plots, unlike most trailers it doesn't give those away. Good! I hope it stays that way. I know it won't though, come Christmas or later, they'll release a new version of the trailer and ruin it by giving away too much.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2000 03:33 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be surprised if they released any new versions of the trailer...
This is Jerry Bruckheimer after all. The "Gone In 60 Seconds" trailer that was attached to "The Insider" is the only version he made - he also made only one trailer for "Remember the Titans" and "Coyote Ugly".

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 10-02-2000 01:41 AM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And then there are the cases where an early trailer makes perfect sense and isn't issued. My favorite example of this is Oh Brother Where Art Thou, the new Coen Brothers movie, which is coming out from Touchstone.

Back in July, USAFilms released the directors cut of the Coen Brothers first film, Blood Simple. Here was an instance where the trailer for Oh Brother should have been available. Oh Brother premiered at Cannes in May, so its obviously done and in the can, but Touchstone didn't have a trailer available even though the one sheets have been out since June. It makes no sense at all to blow such a unique opportunity to promote Oh Brother.

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2000 06:02 PM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone remember the hysteria surrounding the first Batman flick? It wasn't just that the trailer was out over six months in advance (well around here it was, anyway), it was all those OTHER things. Baseball caps, soda cans, the Prince album, Jack Nicholson's face everywhere, you name it, and everything was available six months before the film opened.

I almost didn't want to see the film, in spite of the 70mm print. The print made me change my mind, though, and the film was enjoyable, all things considered. But that campaign almost killed the film.

Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2000 07:01 PM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMHO, I like to see the next years big releases the summer before they come out. Then dissappear untill Christmas, disappear again and hit screens a couple of months prior to release again. I think it builds anticipation.

If anyone got to see the Special Edition Star Wars trailer ver A on Independance Day, it was very exciting. Totally appropriate I think. I got to see it at the UA Continental in Aurora CO where I was working at the time on their giant screen. Very Cool.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2002 11:00 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Hulk is Universal's big "tentpole" picture for May 2003. The first trailer is now on screen -- Reading Cinemas in Manville NJ is running it with at least 1 print of Spider-Man.

(BTW, excellent synergy on that trailer pairing.)

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2002 01:38 PM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If memory serves, Paramount started this "advance teaser trailer" with their release of The Godfather, way back when.
All Paramount features released months before Godfather came out had a short snipe, only a few seconds, announcing the upcoming release.
I thought it was very effective and obviously caused alot of buzz.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-25-2002 01:58 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember correctly we ran a teaser for STAR WARS EPISODE I before **and after** MEET JOE BLACK.

We got the second copy of the teaser after folks all over the world apparently bought tickets for the teaser and then left for a refund once they'd seen it. Didn't have that problem here but...what Lucasfilm wants...

------------------

~Manny.

Now...where was I ?
Leonard Shelby, MEMENTO.

Nick Catalano
Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2002 10:08 PM      Profile for Nick Catalano   Email Nick Catalano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The two Matrix movies don't come out for another year (for the first movie) and a year and three quarters (for the second one). They were attached to Star Wars Episode II (of course).

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-27-2002 10:20 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That Matrix deal is interesting. Wasn't Matrix I rated R? So II will probably be, too....and Star Wars II is PG? Hmmmmmm...

Either they are going to tame Matrix II down some, or SOMEBODY is ignoring the trailer placement rules.

We saw "About A Boy" while on vacation last week and it also had a Hulk trailer attached to it. Talk about your goofy placements.

Nick Catalano
Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2002 10:38 PM      Profile for Nick Catalano   Email Nick Catalano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lol.. didn't even think about that...

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 05-28-2002 02:02 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As for whether or not the matrix previews should go on SW2, keep this in mind,

Matrix is Sci Fi, just as Star Wars is.

Most people who love star wars kill for the matrix.

Most people took thier kids to see the matrix, even though it was R.

The trailer although for a movie that in all probability will be rater R as a feature, is far from R in its preview form.

The Matrix was a borderline R rating, and with about five seconds of cuts would have recieved a PG-13 rating. This explains most parents believing that the R rating was undeserved.

As for long periods of time for previews, its all marketing baby. They tease and tease for a long time and THEN KILL YOU.

Dave

Nick Catalano
Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2002 05:03 PM      Profile for Nick Catalano   Email Nick Catalano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My parents didn't take me to The Matrix.. ;-)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: