Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » General Cinema Dies (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: General Cinema Dies
Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-27-2000 05:59 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Effective tomorrow night (9/29) General Cinema will close over one-hundred screens, including ALL of their locations in Florida (82 screens), one location in Atlanta, and several throughout the Carolinas, among others.

I do not know if their CA theatres are on the "kill" list, but I know they've been wanting out of those for a long time, too. If some or all of those theatres are shutting because of this Chapter 11 business, the number could be closer to 200 screens.

I'm not surprised, though, we moved down here expecting it not to last very long.

Next...

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2000 06:19 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't be surprised if the 2 in Columbus go bye-bye. One is an 8-plex with one THX room that is 2 miles from an AMC 30-plex. It has been neglected in the last few years, only recently adding stereo to 4 of the rooms. The other is an 8-plex 2 miles from a new Regal theater. They did add digital (even with EX!) in a few of the rooms, but some are just barely stereo. Neither have the now seemingly essential stadium seating. They have even stopped running full ads, just running a token ad telling customers to look showtimes up on the web site (to be fair, Regal is doing this, too).

If things keep going, this could be an all AMC town with 2 Marcus theatres as the only competition!

Mark L.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2000 07:29 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A scary predicament - all AMC town - I shiver just thinking about it.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2000 07:53 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I was 1/2 right...the GC Northland (with the THX/70mm room) is closing tomorrow AND an old (mid-70's) shoebox style AMC 6-plex is also going away.

The Northland had one of the most musical sound systems I've ever heard...music sounded just incredible in the THX room. There were some trumpet themes in Star Trek IV that sounded almost exactly like a live player. Ah, the good old days of 70mm.

Mark L.

Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2000 08:01 AM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the business goes through one of these downturns, should it be easier to find used equipment at good prices? Where's a good place to watch?

Sorry if I sound like a vulture.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2000 11:30 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The company that I work for is just thrilled about all of this because being a one site start-up with plenty of capitol (and weve been doing good business) this means that now there will be cheap real estate my company is thinking about rolling out four or five new sites.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 09-28-2000 12:46 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just call General Cinemas and ask them if they're interested in selling any of their equipment.

The independent I used to work for (last week) does this all the time whenever he hears of a GCC, UA or other chain closing. They usually want to get rid of good equipment CHEAP so they don't have to find professionals to go strip out the theatre.

If the equipment sucks... then just tell them you're not interested, but you might be interested in other locations.

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2000 02:36 PM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard of theatre chains closing business on a screen or two at a time, but this is absolutely horrifying.

And sad. Face it: we're dinosaurs and the projection business is probably dead already. We just haven't been told yet.

Rory Burke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2000 02:50 PM      Profile for Rory Burke   Email Rory Burke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<GRABBING ARI BY THE SHOULDERS>
"Good God my man...pull yourself together!!!"

The projection business is not in danger and is going to be around for a long time to come despite DLP and any other digital mediums to come. Just because big companies can't make decent business decisions and run their companies at the expense of others doesn't mean it will affect the industry in a matter that will stop movies completely. There are theaters out there that are making money and lots of it. Like most of the bigger houses in New York and San Fran that rake in 45,000 dollars a weekend. That is not a sign of a dying business.

"Now, put yourself back together and go get em tiger!!"

Rory

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2000 05:18 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You only have to look at any "home theatre" type magazine (OK, I peek ) to know where DLP's market is. There are dozens upon dozens of models. Interestingly, most editors of these mags lament the passing of great presentation at real theatres (must not be visiting any of yours guys).

Not to worry, I have no home theatre, only about a thousand pounds of the "real" stuff!

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2000 05:47 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone called any of those General Cinemas to see if they actually did close?

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2000 02:54 AM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>"Now, put yourself back together and go get em tiger!!"<<

But, but... they're dying all around me. Everywhere, death. Destruction. Another large-screen theatre gone, another small art house closed. Another zillion-screen megaplex announced (with restaurants, sports stores, hairdressers and toy stores, too!)

Whatever happened to the art of presentation (no offense to you multiplex projectionists, I know you're doing a fine job out of it).

"Yeah, I can see from that list of yours that you've been projecting films for fifteen years, but the question is, do you have the time to make popcorn and clean the men's room? And can you wear this silly suit when you're in the booth? We're worried that the kids might spot you."

Never mind, nothing to see here. Carry on with your regular thread. I'm just having one of my fits.

"He's dead, Jim."

GGGAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2000 05:57 AM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ari, have you seen too many Bergman films? Perhaps General Cinema played chess with the Grim Reaper-and lost!

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2000 12:46 PM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, GCC is closing theatres in 9 states. They say that all of them were not profitable. Not one theatre in California is closing at this time however. Which surprised me.

There was an email sent by someone in GA about the way that the company handled this. They were apparently told last Friday, and not to tell the staff until Monday. This upset the manager quite a bit. So, he sent an email to everyone in the company. Stating that the way that they handled the situation was rather poor. He even blamed former AMC alumni Frank Stry-something or other-ski for leading GCC into bankruptcy. I did like the guy's statement that he found out that he did not have a job from the guys that sell the cheese pumps instead of the company. Isn't how that always is. The last person to know is the one that is most effected.

At any rate, they have been wanting to get rid of these theatres for quite some time. I think that they announced the possible bankruptcy, then closed all these theatres that they want to get out of, then make some sweet deals to get out of the leases. Brilliant move strategically, however, the personal toll is quite harsh.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-30-2000 06:10 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Has anyone called any of those General Cinemas to see if they actually did close?

They closed, Ken. Florida was my territory.
Re: Kevin's observations, this is S.O.P. now, for GCC. Last year, they closed two locations in this state, and only gave the employees a handful of day's notice.

I moved down here expecting them not to last long, as it's been no secret that they wanted out of Florida and California. And I thought they might continue to close a location here or there, as leases expired, etc.; but I sure didn't think they'd shut them all at once! (That is, until they started talking Chapter 11.)

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: