Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Adding trailers

Author Topic: Adding trailers
Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2000 08:55 PM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A long while back I remember someone asking for help trying to add trailers to a print that was built up already. They had to all be on there for the screening or somethiing. I couldn't find the post but i found another solution. A few days ago I was digging around in the boot and saw this odd looking reel. It had a "mini ring" in the middle of it. The reel flanges were exactly the same diameter as the big neumade platter rings are. Now what you do is attach the leader first, then work on the trailers. When you are done you can screw off one of the flanges and then theres a lever that collapses the inside ring, so you now have a loose donut of film thats bigger then the brain but smaller then the platter ring! Its soo cool ive never seen anything like it. I wish i would have known about it when we put on 18 hollywood.com trailers!

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-26-2000 11:57 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Goldberg makes those and they are specifically designed for that purpose.

Mark Huff
Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2000 05:52 AM      Profile for Mark Huff   Email Mark Huff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes those things are very heplful. Most helpful when you work in a megaplex. I believe most people call them Split Reels or Collapsable Reels. Obvious reasons for both.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-27-2000 06:35 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We always called them "Trailer Paks".

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2000 08:01 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have them too but can't use them on our Christie AW-3. Why, the donut is only about 1" larger than the brain and the platter can't spin fast enough before it wraps.

We do trailer changes on the platter just sitting loose because:

o There is enough weight to keep the trailer pack in place while spinning on the new trailer unless it is just clear and black in which case we just put that in a center ring.

o Christie Platters are forgiving about the excess trailer pack laying over the top of the rest of the print.

o We have actually placed an entire trailer pack on top of the screened feature and it plays through just fine.

Paul

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-28-2000 02:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

If you're willing to sacrifice a center ring and a 6000 foot reel, you can drill out one flange (you really don't need a "reel", only the flange and large center). Then drill two mounting holes (make sure they will mount the ring centered) and clasp the center ring pins from the back side. Viola, you've got your reel.

I spoke to Goldberg about this a few months back and they didn't quite seem to understand the desire to make one of those reels with a larger center. They currently make two sizes. One for Strong and other platters with a very small ring and another for "Christie and all others", but you have to have that Christie MOVING at startup to do it, which just isn't safe in my opinion.

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2000 04:35 PM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, if you don't have that many trailers to add you can just drop them in and spin them so they expand to the outer edges... Its better then having it wrap!

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2000 08:08 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, it would be too much of a hassle to spin the trailers back in. Just leaving the bulge layover the top of the rest of the print works well.

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2000 05:43 PM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man! I finally see what you mean paul. I tried it on the nuemade platters today (the are just like the christie's). The first showing of "Remember the titans" had over a 100 people. I started it, ran to the platter and started spinning it cuz it started to wrap. That was almost bad.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: