Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Isco Vs. Schneider ... what's your vote? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Isco Vs. Schneider ... what's your vote?
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-25-2000 12:27 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're adding a couple of screens due to open February and we've just received the quote from the supplier. On it, they have supplied a cost for Isco lenses.

My question is...which is the best performer right now and which would you recommend? They tend to see-saw a little, don't they? Sometimes it's Isco...sometimes it's Schenider that's the best at that moment.

What do you guys think?

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2000 12:31 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're both top performers. It's a tie, but I lean towards Schneider.

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2000 01:22 AM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ISCO HD-Studio / Blue star.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-25-2000 01:39 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I say it's pretty much a tie except that Schnieder has those oddball sizes like 42.5mm!!! It's been awhile since I checked out lenses though. Has ISCO started offering those? What's the shortest lens available right now? Isn't it 22.5mm?

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2000 01:53 AM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a Ultra MC 22mm avalibel.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2000 07:55 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Schneider

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-25-2000 08:06 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You won't go wrong with either brand. Sometimes I'll go with one over the other because of either a size I need, and f-stop or sometimes it is just cost.

ISCO offers several different grades of lenses. Schneider has 2.5mm increments in the smaller sizes. ISCO has f/2, f/2.4 and f/2.8 lenses, Schneider has just f/2 (except above 140mm due to the 70.6mm barrel constraint).

ISCO definately wins on the anamorphic attachment...the Blue-Star is second to none.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Paul Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2000 08:37 AM      Profile for Paul Cunningham   Email Paul Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, is your quote from GU?

They installed our last 2 screens, all ISCO lenses, one of the scope lenses is not matched properly, you can either focus the top or bottom but not both. Both screens have the exact same throw and angle and the other lens is fine.

I'm not sure if it is GU's fault for not giving us the proper one or our fault for accepting it and not demanding a better one.

Otherwise they are very good.

The Olympics are nearly over, we had people coming out midway through a movie tonight to see if Cathy Freeman had won.

Paul

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 09-25-2000 11:14 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to vote for Schenider(if I had to) but both ISCO and Schenider are excellent lenses, so either way, you can't go wrong.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-25-2000 12:18 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go for Isco primes and Schneider anamorphs, the latter especially if any of your new screens has a particularly short throw.

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2000 07:01 PM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Isco's for every format and I really have nothing to complain about.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-25-2000 07:08 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having shown a lot of movies with a pair of Kollmorgen Super Snaplights, I'd recommend just about anything else.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-25-2000 08:22 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah lak Wollensaks!

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2000 08:25 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, have used both Isco and Schneider and find them both good lens.At the moment I am useing the latest Isco lens and find that they are a tad better than Schneider.On our large maxi screen the focus and depth of field is perfect which is good considering the size of the screen,so I think I would lean slighty towards Isco on this one. .
Paul,Saw that event with Cathy,It was great,she done Australia proud.Go Aussies

Stephen

------------------

Nick Perry
Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2000 02:08 AM      Profile for Nick Perry   Email Nick Perry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to go for Schneider. Their Variable Prime lenses are very impressive also!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: