Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Slide Projectors (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Slide Projectors
Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2000 06:53 PM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We all just love those little things to death! Apparently we are having a few issues with them. Another manager at my theatre takes care of them (or says he does) and this is what he told me. He said that after power outages some of the slide projectors don't work. He told me he called the slide company, which in turn called the manufacture (kodak i think). He says he was told by a tech that when the power goes out the slide projectors are overheating because of the lack of air conditioning which i believe to be a bunch of BS. I'm thinking that it has to do with some sort of power surge. Now the problem is that these projectors are on a switched circuit which has a breaker on the projector. Wouldn't that breaker prevent a big enough surge to kill the damn thing? Would those $1.99 surge protectors at walmart solve this problem?

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2000 08:22 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your problem is you have Kodak slide projectors (sorry John ). Get Telex's. If you need to send them in for repair, I have an address for a place in Texas that will fix Kodaks.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-24-2000 01:47 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

Let me guess, they're cycling through several slides in a row and then it randomly stops on one, and then cycles several more through real quick...right? If so, I can give you a temporary fix.

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2000 12:56 PM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well... thats one of the problems. If they don't do that they won't work at all... I really havnt had much of a chance to look at one of the dead ones, but i know the guy put in charge of slides is constantly replacing the projectors.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-25-2000 01:28 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to say it was Ace Audio/Visual that fixed those things for United Artists. Unfortunately, once they broke the first time, a "repair" would not last very long and in my opinion, was a waste of money.

Just buy Telexes. They run forever. (Sorry John from me too. )

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-25-2000 08:09 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kodak Ektagraphic slide projectors aren't realy the thing to use in theatres / continuous use, in my opinion. They are a consumer / business presentation type of product. They aren't meant to withstand the beating that theatres give them.

Thing is, advertising companies want to spend as little $$ as possible and buy the cheaper product. I guess they don't think about repair costs, etc.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-25-2000 11:04 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Our advertising company just came in last week and told us to dim the house lights because their slides were too dim. I told them that would not happen due to safety and insurance reasons but I would be happy to run their projectors on the "high" lamp setting. They just whined about how they couldn't allow us to burn the lamps quicker like that and continued to insist the house lights be kept low.

Lance C. McFetridge
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2000 12:50 PM      Profile for Lance C. McFetridge   Email Lance C. McFetridge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, What kind of slide projectors do you use in your theatre?
lance

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-25-2000 01:03 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Turning the lights down is a common story where I came from. We just told them if some 'little, old lady' falls down and breaks her neck it's going to come out that THEY told us we had to do it.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-25-2000 02:05 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
We have Kodak's. Fortunately, they are only a month old. We refuse to dim the lights. It's not our fault they did not purchase xenon slide projectors.

Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2000 02:48 PM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The AMC I used to work at had Kodak slide projectors, and they never had a problem. They are about 2 and a half years old now, so they are still pretty new. I don't remember exactly what they were, but I remember they were modified by NCN in someway. Don't know what the modification was, but I will check on that when I get home tonight.

Lance C. McFetridge
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2000 03:08 PM      Profile for Lance C. McFetridge   Email Lance C. McFetridge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In defense of the Kodak slide projectors. I have them in my theatre and I have never had a problem with them in 5 years that I have used them. I have had to do some minor maintenance on them including replacing the sockets that hold the lamp. The parts were readily available from Kodak and they take about 5 minutes to replace. I use a FHS bulb in them. I was advised by the supplier to remove the heat absorbing glass in front of the lens if I needed more light on the screen but was against that, so I didn't. I use an aftermarket timer that switches slides every 13 seconds. My slides are mounted in a glass mount, and have had no problems with the film distorting in the mounts. With a 50 ft throw, I get a reasonable picture on the screen, but I don't try to fill the whole screen with the image. I like the ektagraphic projector.
lance

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-25-2000 05:57 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there _any_ theatre anywhere in the world that uses xenon slide projectors for advertisements? I have never seen one, although it seems like a no-brainer to me (they're getting paid to show the ads, so cost shouldn't be a huge issue; more importantly, advertisers generally want their ads to look good on screen). I know of one theatre that uses a Brenograph carbon-arc projector which gives a nice on-screen image. I've only seen the xenon Ektagraphics used for non-advertising slide shows at lectures and such.

For what they are, the Ektagraphic projectors are decent machines, but I agree that they're really designed for home or office use and not for continuous use in theatres. I have one at home that's about 10 years old and works great, but I don't use it for several hours a day, every day, either... Telexes are nice for theatre use. On the other hand, one could make the argument that a non-functioning slide projector is preferable if it means that audiences don't have to suffer through advertising before the film starts...

You don't want FHS bulbs. These are the cheap ones that last a really long time but don't give much light. EXR bulbs are standard and EXW bulbs are brighter but don't last that long. For those with older Ektagraphics, there's apparently an upgraded lamp module available that takes the same bulbs but gives better light. I haven't seen this, though.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2000 11:30 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It should be noted that there are many different models of the before mentioned Kodak projector. Some people may be haveing better experiences due to better models. I odn't know ours off the top of my head, but will post tommorrow. I just know they burn through bulbs 2 to 3 times faster than the 2 Telexes we hava and that since I took over the job of managing the slides over a year ago I've had to send every Kodak in for repair at least, AT LEAST once while the Telexs have remained in perfect working order.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2000 02:13 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
bulbs are never a problem - they are supplied through the advertising agency. My company does not pay for them. If I run out, I just call C&A advertising, and they send me out 16 more.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: