Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SMART MOD-2C will not switch from digital to analog when dts drops out

Author Topic: SMART MOD-2C will not switch from digital to analog when dts drops out
Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 09-21-2000 06:33 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Smart Mod 2C that will not switch from digital to analog when the DTS cuts out.
Also there is another problem, when it powers up in the morning the right surround speakers have a loud hiss. This goes away after you cycle the power a few times, but comes back if there is a power outage and cuts out for any lenght of time.

Any ideas on what is up here?

Dave

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-21-2000 06:40 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Power supply or the regulator on the eq board for the surround
The not switching issue is a problem between many processors and the DTS units
I would be tempted to change the RC ratio on the format boards input but Oscar will tell you the consequences as noise imunity will change as well

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2000 10:23 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a technical guy, but I've had that DTS prooblem between a Mod 11c and a DTS 6D before. The problem is not nescessarily in the SMART. The DTS unit has to send a 'signal' back to the sound processor to tell it to switch when the digital drops out. The signal may not be getting there, either because:
a) its not being sent, or
b) there is a broken/loose cable between the DTS and Smart.
Then again it may be in the SMART, I don't know. Good luck.

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2000 09:59 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dave,

On the failure-to-switch problem, it is hard to say where the fault is at this point. We need to do some simple tests first. I am assuming you can manually switch the MOD IIC to any format you want.

Remove the db25 connector from the MOD IIC. Manually switch the MOD IIC to DIGITAL format. Then take a jumper wire and momentarily ground pin 13 (upper row, left end pin)on the MOD IIC db25 connector. Verify the the MOD IIC has gone into either STEREO SR or A format. (Whether it goes into SR or A will depend on a jumper setting on the format card.) If this test works, then the MOD IIC is probably OK. PLEASE NOTE: it may be difficult to get a good connection on the db25 connector. You need a small enough piece of wire to go into the pin 13 hole and actually make contact with the pin.

If the first test fails, then do the same thing except you will momentarily ground the STEREO SR or STEREO A format terminal on the back of the MOD IIC. If this works, then the problem could be a defective MOD IIC motherboard trace or solder connection between the db25 connector and the format terminals.

Also, disassemble the DB25 connectors on both ends of the DTS interface cable and inspect the solder connections. Look for broken wires. Repair as needed, or order a new cable if the cable has problems.

Regarding the problem on right surround, my best guess is that the surround eq card is at fault. Pull the card and look at the back of the card (solder side). See if there are 2 diodes soldered on the solder side of the card. If they are not there, then this board needs to be modified. Or, we will be happy to send a replacement board. Contact me for details. Without the modification, the board will SOMETIMES be prone to latch up the voltage regulators on power up. This will result in a noise on one or both surround channels.

Hope this info helps.

------------------
Oscar Neundorfer
Chief Engineer
SMART Devices, Inc.

oscar@smartdev.com

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2000 10:17 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

One more thing to check. Remove power from the MOD IIC. Now, pull the format card. Look for a jumper near the upper edge of the card, a couple of inches in front of the gold edge connector fingers. The jumper pins are labeled OPT DEF which stands for Optical Default. The jumper should be on 2 of the pins, either A or SR. This jumper determines whether the MOD IIC goes back to A or SR if digital fails.

------------------
Oscar Neundorfer
Chief Engineer
SMART Devices, Inc.

oscar@smartdev.com

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2000 03:04 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the pulse from DTS player to the CP. Use a DTS setup disc and meter. After the disc plays, eject it. You should see a pulse to low on the analog line. Which analog line? That depends on how the disc is programmed. If using the DS1 disc, each DTS channel is programmed to go to a different analog backup channel. This is used to test the pulse lines from DTS to the CP.

Movies discs each are programmed to default to whatever analog format the film was mixed in. If it is in "SR", that is the format the DTS will pulse to (in the event of a DTS drop-out).

The "hitch" comes in when the CP you have does not have "SR". In that case you will have to make a modification to the DTS logic card so that the "analog" pulse will always to sent to "A" Type. Depending on the model of DTS logic card, it will mean either moving a programming jumper to "A" -or- doing a trace cut & adding a jumper. Please send me an email and let me know the model of DTS player (2-drive or 3-drive) and model of DTS logic card you have = it should be D???

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: